What are warning points and why do I have them?

TheNiche

I just noticed in a space below my avatar that I have evidently been given four warning points. I don't usually look at my own identifying information and it did not trigger any direct communication to me (as occurs when someone likes a post), so I can't tell how long they've been there or what they intend to warn me against.

Would Editor or any of the moderators care to explain the purpose or functionality of warning points?

(I've told y'all for a long time that if you don't like something I've said, you should tell me so that I can modify my behavior. Instead, all I ever see is passive aggressive ridiculousness that periodically boils over in needlessly dramatic ways. It's not just me, either. Does it really have to be like this?)

I just noticed in a space below my avatar that I have evidently been given four warning points. I don't usually look at my own identifying information and it did not trigger any direct communication to me (as occurs when someone likes a post), so I can't tell how long they've been there or what they intend to warn me against.

Would Editor or any of the moderators care to explain the purpose or functionality of warning points?

(I've told y'all for a long time that if you don't like something I've said, you should tell me so that I can modify my behavior. Instead, all I ever see is passive aggressive ridiculousness that periodically boils over in needlessly dramatic ways. It's not just me, either. Does it really have to be like this?)

I have enjoyed reading your comments in various threads over the past year or so since I've been a member. Apparently I must have missed some lively ones from 2008.

I'm guessing Editor accidentilly flipped the display switch on this one. Can't imagine it was on purpose since it appears to be a system that hasn't been used in at least 2-3 interations of the Haify software.

Oct 2007 -

Warning issued

Given 1 points.

You cry alot.

Go away.

Not necessary.

How boring.. I've done alot worse since then.

i miss the old +1 green -1 red rating system.

I feel like our current "like" system is the bs pc way of making sure we don't have too many hurt feelings.

Same here. Emotions are irrelevant. Besides, I enjoyed being able to "-1" posts that truly deserve it.

Thanks. I guess I'm not the only one, eh?

They're all from the Summer of 2008. Nothing thereafter.

I had one too, 2008 also, for using a four letter work, but masking them with symbols.

I spoke with Wayne about it last week, they are supposed to be hidden...

• 4 weeks later...

Warnings were a feature of the software that we played with a little bit, but never really got traction. The way it's intended to be used is to give naughty users a certain number of demerits and when they reach a particular threshold, some other remedial action is taken.

On HAIF it wasn't ever used that way. It was kind of used as an informal tally system, but because the system was cumbersome and slow we never really did much with it. I don't think I've issued a warning in a couple of years, so we had it visually switched off for the users since it doesn't mean anything.

During a recent software upgrade a new feature was added to the warning system. It optionally requires warned users to acknowledge a warning before they're allowed to participate on the forum. Because of that change, the software made warnings visible to everyone even though it's not something we use (because you can't acknowledge a warning you can't see).

I've set the warnings back to invisible. No need for alarm.

Warnings were a feature of the software that we played with a little bit, but never really got traction. The way it's intended to be used is to give naughty users a certain number of demerits and when they reach a particular threshold, some other remedial action is taken.

On HAIF it wasn't ever used that way. It was kind of used as an informal tally system, but because the system was cumbersome and slow we never really did much with it. I don't think I've issued a warning in a couple of years, so we had it visually switched off for the users since it doesn't mean anything.

During a recent software upgrade a new feature was added to the warning system. It optionally requires warned users to acknowledge a warning before they're allowed to participate on the forum. Because of that change, the software made warnings visible to everyone even though it's not something we use (because you can't acknowledge a warning you can't see).

I've set the warnings back to invisible. No need for alarm.

Translation: I shall forever be warning-less... <_<

(But, seriously... @Ed: Thanks for the clarification.)

Archived