Sign in to follow this  
Double L

How To Revitalize Downtown Houston

Is the topic "Houston", or "How to revitalize downtown Houston"? I don't see why we wouldn't consider what other cities are doing for the topic of how to revitalize Downtown Houston, pros and cons.

Consider away, but by long-term policy we don't do Houston v Dallas catfights here.  Any trolling post about Dallas is inevitably going to hijack the discussion. 

Turn those parking lots into residential buildings.  That alone would do wonders. 

You know, that dfwcr8ive dude never posts THOSE Dallas articles.

:huh:

That's because, as a downtown resident, I'm more concerned about the livability of the neighborhood rather than commercial statistics. Most of my focus has been on parks, community groups, and infrastructure/transportation improvements (jealous of the Houston bike-share program). Downtown Dallas has a long way to come, but it has improved a lot in the past decade and there are more residents taking an active role in its evolution.

We're experimenting with ideas that are successful in other cities and celebrating the small wins. Things like parklets, two-way street conversions, bike lanes, "glass box retail" and even busking programs do improve the urban experience. Out of curiosity, does Houston have grass roots organizations or city support behind these types of urban interventions?

Both cities could learn a lot from each other.

Edited by dfwcre8tive
  • Like 1

Well, one of the things about downtown Houston is it seems to be tourist-antagonistic. I don't know if there are any observation decks in Houston, and better yet: do something completely crazy. Like use those parking lots to build a http://www.thegoddardgroup.com/blog/index.php/now-it-can-be-told-the-star-trek-attraction-that-almost-came-to-life-in-1992/'>full-scale Enterprise replica.

That's because, as a downtown resident, I'm more concerned about the livability of the neighborhood rather than commercial statistics. Most of my focus has been on parks, community groups, and infrastructure/transportation improvements (jealous of the Houston bike-share program). Downtown Dallas has a long way to come, but it has improved a lot in the past decade and there are more residents taking an active role in its evolution.

We're experimenting with ideas that are successful in other cities and celebrating the small wins. Things like parklets, two-way street conversions, bike lanes, "glass box retail" and even busking programs do improve the urban experience. Out of curiosity, does Houston have grass roots organizations or city support behind these types of urban interventions?

Both cities could learn a lot from each other.

Parklets are lame. Perhaps they are interesting to look at...once. But, having a couple in your downtown will not make it or break it. Oh, and yes, they were proposed here a couple years back. They are old news.

Glass box retail is OK...if people still bought newspapers. They would be a good place to buy smokes, but since I quit smoking 69 days ago, I really don't care anymore. Maybe someone could sell coffee out of one or two of them.

Bike trails are big deals in Houston right now. They are garnering us national attention. We have more than one very active and vocal cycling advocacy groups here. They have achieved much, and are still going. There biggest triumphs have been in getting bike trails paved along our bayous and parks. Bike lanes in the streets are not that great.

While it is great that you are advocating for residential amenities, it is still a Central Business District. I question the viability of a business district that still sports a 27% vacancy after converting numerous buildings to other uses.

Well, one of the things about downtown Houston is it seems to be tourist-antagonistic. I don't know if there are any observation decks in Houston, and better yet: do something completely crazy. Like use those parking lots to build a full-scale Enterprise replica.

Well, we'd certainly have a lock on the Trek conventions. Not sure that would be a good thing, though.

Sorry to go off topic here, but...

They would be a good place to buy smokes, but since I quit smoking 69 days ago, I really don't care anymore. 

Congrats Red. It's a tough monkey to get off your back. Realistically, it's taken me 2 years and I don't wake up in the morning wanting one any more. I also don't feel the need when I see other people doing it any more.

Of course, we're all different in the way we adapt. 

Sorry to go off topic here, but...

Congrats Red. It's a tough monkey to get off your back. Realistically, it's taken me 2 years and I don't wake up in the morning wanting one any more. I also don't feel the need when I see other people doing it any more.

Of course, we're all different in the way we adapt. 

Thanks, and you are correct. It is quite the monkey. In March, I would have been smoking for 30 years. Tried to quit several times, but failed. I finally became concerned for my health (yeah, I'm kinda slow), bought some nicotine gum and quit for good. As a reward, I bought myself a new urban bicycle, and use it to take the bike trails into downtown. That is how I know of all the work done on cycling trails.

Nice segue back to the topic, huh?    ;)

• Like 1

Yes, two buildings with observation decks Monday through Friday business hours.

And therein lies the problem. With the buildings and tunnels closed on the weekend, there's not a lot to do but go to a bar (not that that's a bad thing). With the light rail connecting to the Museum District and zoo, which do get tourists on the weekends, the connection issue is already solved. Go to the Museum District—ride the train up to downtown.