Downtown Needs To Market Itself

cover.jpg

essay1.jpg

The study by Powers Brown Architecture took three groupings of downtown land and investigated several models for configuration of high-density housing. The High-Rise, Mixed-Use Development (1) is centered around Main Street. The High-Rise, High-Density Development (2) is just west of the George R. Brown Convention Center. The Low-Rise, High-Density Development (3) is clustered on the south side of the Toyota Center.

essay2.jpg

High-Rise, Mixed-Use

essay3.jpg

High-Rise, High-Density

essay4.gif

essay5.gif

essay6.gif

essay7.gif

The elevations show different schemes for structures

in the High-Rise, High-Density Development adjacent to

the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Envisioning a Livable City

by Stephen Sharpe

The idea of living in downtown Houston is no longer a joke.

In fact, the potential for residential development in the Central Business District has completely altered predictions for downtown over the next 20 years.

This much is clear: the era of newer, taller office towers is over. The new vision for downtown foresees high-density pockets of high-rise and mid-rise housing developments occupied by 20,000 residents by 2025.

The 2000 U.S. Census brought the future into focus. For the first time, as demonstrated by the latest federal statistics, the population inside Loop 610 grew at a higher percentage rate than the population outside the loop during the 1990s. Though surprising to many, those figures verified a trend that Houston's development community already was following. Release of the 2000 Census prompted the Houston Downtown Management District (better known as the Downtown District) to commission a survey in 2003 to update statistics from 1993 and 1998 on how Houstonians perceived the downtown area. The 2003 survey indicated that 16,400 housing units could be sold or leased in downtown and the area just to the south called Midtown. While that represented the potential for a significant upswing from the current population of 2,500 residents, the survey's findings also sent a clear message to stakeholders that the inner city was unprepared for what appeared to be Houston's next chapter.

Despite the many recent improvements and additions to downtown - including the initial 7.5-mile line of a sleek light rail transit system, a $62 million streetscape project, a 40,000-seat baseball stadium, a 1,200-room convention center hotel, and a two-venue performing arts center - much more work remained before Houston's inner city could be truly livable. (Many of those projects, completed in the last two years, grew out of ideas that emerged a decade ago from the "Designing for Change" program that teamed AIA Houston with the Downtown District.) Houston's expected evolution would require infrastructure upgrades to handle high-density residential development, as well as quality-of-life enhancements such as parks, schools, retail, and services. And with the downtown's extremely limited stock of historic buildings already converted for residential use, the need for new residential buildings was obvious.

To begin envisioning how residential development could fit into the existing urban matrix, the development community (under the auspices of Central Houston, a nonprofit coalition of businesses interested in maintaining a thriving downtown) put together six task forces and a steering committee to plot a course for the future. Guy Hagstette, AIA, an executive with Central Houston, coordinated the effort, which included the Urban Form and Urban Design Task Force. One of the members of that task force is Jeffrey Brown, AIA, a principal with Powers Brown Architecture. Brown's firm eventually was hired by Central Houston and three associated groups to undertake a series of studies to determine possible configurations for high-density, multi-structure residential developments in three areas within the CBD. Parameters varied widely for each of the three developments, but all shared some of the same requirements, such as access to public spaces, adequate parking, and proximity to mass transit. Of course, development costs would have to be minimized to ensure that those Houstonians who wanted to live downtown could afford the rent or the mortgage. As Hagstette said recently, "The challenge is getting the right product at the right price."

The study of the nine-block area west of the George R. Brown Convention Center explores different land uses, including how to incorporate an existing, privately owned greenspace located directly in front of the convention center. Brown's firm developed several potential configurations, with each preserving views west toward the center of downtown. This aspect of the project is anticipated to create 3,000 to 5,000 residential units (about 1,100 sf, with two bedrooms) in several high-rise buildings, perhaps some as tall as 40 stories. This segment of downtown is expected to be linked to other parts of downtown , as well as to the rest of the city, by a future light rail line.

Low-Rise, High-Density

Located south of the convention center and the Toyota Center basketball arena, the architects have amassed eight blocks on either side of Pease Street. The biggest challenge to residential developers is the relatively remote site, which is not included in any future plans for light rail. The low-rise structures would be limited a height of 75 feet, allowing for buildings as tall as eight floors. The number of potential residential units is 2,500 (also about 1,100 sf).

High-Rise, Multi-Use

The 12-blocks on either side of Main Street at the southern end of downtown is different in that it mixes residential with offices and other types of spaces. The proposed scheme includes three or four high-rise buildings along with other mid-rise structures. The total number of residential units is 3,500. The light rail link already is in place and the neighborhood is served by two existing Metro Light Rail stations.

Rather than calling his firm's project a master plan, Brown prefers the term "a framework of development scenarios" to describe the study of aggregating blocks of private and public land into three distinct areas with specific uses. "For us the real issue became the ability of each pattern to stimulate or accommodate the variability of real market conditions," says Brown, underscoring that the study had less to do with aesthetics than efficient land us and incentives for development. The main consideration, he says, is the long-term economic viability of the future developments and the residual effects on downtown as an interconnected community.

The overarching objective of the work of the six task forces, according to Hagstette, is to plan far enough ahead for Houston - with the fourth largest population in the U.S. - to remain competitive in the international marketplace. "For Houston as a whole it has to have an urban lifestyle to compete globally," Hagstette says. The new paradigm for all U.S. cities is urban residential, he says, and Houston has set its 2050 goal at 20,000 urban residents, which city leaders consider the necessary number to sustain retail and other downtown amenities. The work so far has produced critical results - light rail, a thriving theater district, two sports arenas, the convention center hotel - that allows Houston to take the next step forward. "The vision is more exciting than what we've already done, " Hagstette says. "Now we're creating a city."

essay8.jpg

Richardson Place

essay9.jpg

Gable Street Landing

Focus on Quality of Life

Creating a livable city involves more than developing residential blocks. The future inhabitants of downtown Houston will desire a quality of life much the same as their neighbors enjoy beyond Loop 610. Recent improvements and plans for more improvements in the near future to enhance to the downtown experience.

A $62 million streetscape project in a 90-block area stretching across the north end of downtown was completed last year that altered sidewalks to make them more pedestrian friendly, as well as adding many new on-street parking spaces. The Cotswold Project, designed by Rey de la Reza Architects, also added numerous landscaping and public art features to the street scheme that extends from Buffalo Bayou to Minute Maid Park. With water as one of the project's themes, artists created 12 fountains--eight along Preston Avenue and four on Congress Street. Sidewalks were widened to make room for the fountains, with the largest measuring 14 feet tall. Another major improvement project is intended to make Buffalo Bayou into an urban amenity. In 2002, the nonprofit Buffalo Bayou Partnership produced a master plan for 10 miles of the neglected urban waterway that is hoped to help achieve that goal.

The master plan envisions a mixed-use neighborhood at downtown's East End. Richardson Place (above) is planned to provide opportunities for varying densities of low-impact residential development flanking a wide, tree-lined pedestrian mall.

Gable Street Landing is planned as a major new entertainment district center and northern terminus to the Crawford Street "Super Boulevard." The project provides an inviting link between Buffalo Bayou's waterfront and the district around the George R. Brown Convention Center.

Another downtown project is the North Canal, which will be designed to accommodate caf

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
Guest Plastic

We've discussed Downtown Houston. THere've been many changes. They're trying to make it the center fof things.

Clubbing,theatersmsporting venues,apartments have all been built DOwntown. One thing we all seem to agree is that there need s to be shopping, a central sqaure and central station built. All those thing are in proccess with The Pavillions, the rennovation of The Park,and The proposed Hardy Railyard with centrla station.

Myquestion is what else is needed. These are all major thing but we need minor things to. Besides a change int he nightlife smaller shops are needed not just The Railyard,The Pavillons,and The Park. In places like New York and Chicago they have streets just lined with shops,resteraunts, and entertainment.

It all starts from a central sqaure and radiates out. This is the problem with Houston, our Times Sqaure will be the railyard which is North of DOwntown. You go just outside that you're in low income neighborhoods.

I guess this all stems from the fact that DOwntown is not the center of action in Houston. While it's in the center it's not the actie part of the center. The Galleria is where it all starts. A drive down Westheimer from there gives and provides all you need. It's DOwntown that's the problem. For years we've needed a place you could walk around and have all the shops, resteraunts,and ngihtlife in one area. The Railyard would do that cept it's not in DOwntown. While Times Sqaure is New York's hotspot it has other areas,and boulevards for pedestrians.

Pedestrians is what I want to talk about. Even wiutht he Pavillions,The Park,and Railyard and even Bayoua Place we need some smaller blocks and boulevards for you to walk down. New York has 5th Avenue and Madison Avenue. Although high priced I do believe that they have lots of shopping and stuff to do down them. The only problem is Housotnians aren't pedestrians. They're not used to cars and hot/rainy weather. We've done something like this underground, it's called the tunnels. Thing is they're not open 24 hours and are more for the workers Downtown. There's no real shopping down there anyway.

The problem is we can't do this overnight. It takes years and decades of planning,growth, and experience to get something like this off the ground.

Tax breaks.......or atleast some incentive to get developers to build downtown. That's what downtown needs. Especially with rising land and material costs. Give these developers some incentive to choose or even "think" downtown first instead of losing the project to Uptown or Greenwy Plaza or Westchase. It

Guest Plastic

That's all? IF that were the problem I'm sure city council or Mayor Brown would've done it. The reason noone is building is cause no one lives or goes down there. Least not liek other parts of the city. OUtside of working, going to jail,going to court,going to cluns, going to concerts,and going to the hospital there's no reason to go DOwntown.

Unless I'm missing something visually with my two eyes, Downtown Houston can sure use more visibly shown fast food restaurants -- that are NOT styled to accomodate cars (i.e. the Mickey D's on Main Street underneath I-45). Yes, more cornerstore-style fast food restaurant locations like in the U-know-where dense cities with established downtowns. Too bad the way downtown is, if U R a traveler from anutha city lost in DT and want to eat at Burger King there, it will be closed at night and the Sundays. ***waaah***

That's all? IF that were the problem I'm sure city council or Mayor Brown would've done it. The reason noone is building is cause no one lives or goes down there. Least not liek other parts of the city. OUtside of working, going to jail,going to court,going to cluns, going to concerts,and going to the hospital there's no reason to go DOwntown.

Mayor Brown set this city back several decades. I'm glad he's gone.

Downtown Houston so far is developing nicely. The nightlife isn't strong while comparing it to other cities, but it's improving, and Main Street will only get stronger after Pavilions gets built. The streets are finaly completed. Buffalo Bayou's redevelopment is what I'm most looking forward to seeing complete, though we have to wait 20 years for that <_< . The stadiums are doing what were expected of them; bringing regular big crowds to the downtown area around primetime all 12 months of the year. And there's LOTS of development to look forward to, including the new apartment high-rises, Downtown Park, etc.

Downtown Houston's problem is that there's not enough buzz about it. One thing that would help it is if there were a bigger media presence there. We don't have to push for national. Just have a few local t.v. shows there showcasing downtown. For example, imagine if some of the sports shows (Fox Sports Xtra, Channel 2's Sports Sunday) had a live audience on Main Street, and you could see the buildings in the background. People at home would actually SEE why downtown's the place to go. Or what about that Houston morning tv show (Good Day Houston? Is that it?). If that same show with that same size crowd had downtown, uptown, or midtown as the backdrop, we'd see Houston in a different perspective.

I'm not saying be like NYC, but Times Square is the perfect example. Remember when MTV first used their background for all their shows as Times Square, and later ABC/ESPN did the same thing? Prior to that, many Americans held the taboo that Times Square was unsafe. Now lots of people are going there for many reasons, including to check out their shows. The buzz around Times Square has grown in a positive way since that has happened. I say Houston can also use our local media to our advantage, but in a way unique to us. Instead of targeting outside tourists (like Times Square has), we target our own Houstonians to create that buzz and see downtown on a regular basis, regardless of if we go there or if we're slouching on a couch. And have our media teams host the viewing parties (tailgate, playoff, pre-game, etc.) downtown/Reliant/wherever the party's at.

Plastic, what downtown lacks aren't attractions. What it lacks is the buzz. I don't think it would have to take years to build that. What it takes is the excitement and fear of missing something if you don't go downtown. I also think that when that buzz is created and more people go downtown, you will also see the 24-hour shopping and nightlife that lasts until 7am.

One more thing: I think the Super Bowl and All-Star Games didn't do any justice in that department. We knew we threw successful events, but I never saw The Main Event on national news. When the game was going on, all you saw was the game with no shots of the crowds watching it. Not saying that's what they're supposed to do, but the whole idea behind us wanting to host those games was because we wanted to spark up long-term revenue, and it would have helped if the television audience got to see what the pedestrians downtown saw...

Unless I'm missing something visually with my two eyes, Downtown Houston can sure use more visibly shown fast food restaurants -- that are NOT styled to accomodate cars (i.e. the Mickey D's on Main Street underneath I-45). Yes, more cornerstore-style fast food restaurant locations like in the U-know-where dense cities with established downtowns. Too bad the way downtown is, if U R a traveler from anutha city lost in DT and want to eat at Burger King there, it will be closed at night and the Sundays. ***waaah***

we had the mcdonalds a few yrs ago but it closed cause they were offered lots of bucks for their property. And if i remember correctly, the downtown district/city preferred that they move because it brought in the wrong type of crowd cause they WERE open all the time.

Tax breaks.......or atleast some incentive to get developers to build downtown. That's what downtown needs. Especially with rising land and material costs. Give these developers some incentive to choose or even "think" downtown first instead of losing the project to Uptown or Greenwy Plaza or Westchase. It

... Many people don't realize or remember just how bad Downtown was 10 years ago, and just how much it has improved. I had to go back to my office on MONDAY. I took my dog to walk around a bit, and there were dozens of people doing the same...on MONDAY...in DOWNTOWN.

Give it some time. It is heading in the right direction.

That's where that buzz should kick in. There's lots of Houstonians that haven't been there for a long period of time, and as a result, downtown 10 years ago is what they envision Downtown to be today. Our city should request more of Houston's tv shows to use Main Street downtown as a backdrop to show viewers at home just how vibrant and safe Houston is. Use our local media to our advantage, yo :)

I've been saying this over and over again. People don't cater to downtown. They rather go to uptown, or other areas in Houston that is jumping. When the Pavilions is up and running that doesn't mean alot of people will cater to it, they will check it out but not going to make it they're main destination.

And for former Mayor Lee Brown statement. Houston would be further in the RED if Lee Brown didn't went to D.C. and got the funds to build the metrorail. The City Council rule out the metrorail, but Lee Brown went over their heads and to D.C.. So, think about it.

For decades, DownTown Houston has been a wasteland...a Mecca for the homeless...

Its gonna take more than 5 years for this to turn around.

Especially for a town that lives and dies by their automobiles...

Public Transportation has go to improve and as more and more people move into midtown area, stuff will get better in downtown.

Give it another 5-10 years...

Midtown needs to fill up with more residents as well...

patience folks...

I've been saying this over and over again. People don't cater to downtown. They rather go to uptown, or other areas in Houston that is jumping. When the Pavilions is up and running that doesn't mean alot of people will cater to it, they will check it out but not going to make it they're main destination.

And for former Mayor Lee Brown statement. Houston would be further in the RED if Lee Brown didn't went to D.C. and got the funds to build the metrorail. The City Council rule out the metrorail, but Lee Brown went over their heads and to D.C.. So, think about it.

i know once i move to Houston, i 'd rather live in Uptown area than downtown. Downtown may have come a long way since some of you remember, but it still has alot of rift-raft areas, especially in Midtown.

There ARE incentives in place. HP is getting many incentives. The Saks building is getting incentives. The parking garage east of Saks is getting incentives to put in ground level retail. The second two will not build until HP does, which makes sense.

Plastic, the low-profile case-by-case incentives that Red mentions above are in many ways better than TIRZs and other guaranteed incentive/subsidy programs.

For instance, if the City agrees to implement a TIRZ in an effort to stimulate development in an area, what do you think will happen to land prices within the TIRZ? So who is the city subsidizing? Developers or land owners? They aren't typically one-in-the-same, you know.

Guest Plastic

Well what I'm saying is Downtown is gonna need some major overhauling. We've waited too long. IF you think what are the major things people liek to do in Houston, shopping and entertainment much of which DOwntown Houston has stillyet to offer. HOuston is rather low on entertainment actually.

Bayou Place was a good idea. What Houstonians really liek to do is go out to nightclubs. The clubscene 15 years ago is how we'd rather have it. We don't liek the clubscene ow all I hear is peopel complain. Alot of it has to do with alot of the clusb have gone Downtown and become trendy high priced places. You have to pay an arm and a leg to park 7 blocks away. The Downtown scene is something more like what I'd think you'd find in New York. Small clubs,with dress codes, attitude, ,and play Hip Hop and House music. For some reason it just seems cooler if you go clubbing further out in the city.

Take Los Angeles, is there a major project to convert it's Downtown into the center of the city? Everybody works lives, and plays far away form Downtown practically. I don't know if they even tried to keep their Downtown up or let it decay like ours.

Basically there's no reason to hangout Downtown. Take The Galleria not aonly is it a good place to shop but also a place to walk around and just check things out. Are there any music stores or arcades Downtown?

What I think they should lay off of is moving people Downtown. Just not enough space,prices too high,nobody really want to live down there,etc. If you're gonna move people move them just inside The Loops. The Heights, Montrose,West U, 3rd Ward, Midtown, and even Chinatown could afford people moving. Traffic would be horrendous if they moved 50,000 people into Downtown as planned. It would just be something to move peple inside he Belt, the bigger zone that's starting to decay. Something tells me things will kickoff once we build the central transit hub.

Plastic- I agree that currently there is not enough to do downtown...

I also agree that it has a real long way to go...

however I actually believe the club scene is the way it should be...

the old club scene in houston sucked...it was soo...small townish...

cruising the strip having to get into your car and drive to each and every different club you go to and still i remember paying for parking...

i really like the way houston's downtown club scene is...park once and you can TRULY bar hop like any other major downtown city...

bar hopping IMO is really what hitting the clubs is all about...

much more needs to be downtown tho...

I also disagree with you ideas on downtown LA...It sounds as though you believe that cities like LA and Houston cannot create a new market in their downtowns because of the way things have been done.

If that's your contention- then you're really really short sighted my friend...open up and think creatively about what could be...

Houston has one of the greatest skylines in the Americas- why not put it to good use?

Create a new atmosphere...

As for traffic being horrendous if 50K people moved downtown- I do not agree...

Its not as tho 50K people are gonna move downtown are suburbanites that have 3 cars and drive everywhere...

50K living in downtown would basically be a downtown where everything is within walking distance or public transportation...

its 5-10 years off at least...but you have to start somewhere...

I'd love it if 250K lived in downtown and midtown...Talk about a happening core of the city...

As for traffic being horrendous if 50K people moved downtown- I do not agree...

Its not as tho 50K people are gonna move downtown are suburbanites that have 3 cars and drive everywhere...

50K living in downtown would basically be a downtown where everything is within walking distance or public transportation...

You're right that they probably won't have 3 cars and tend not to drive quite as much on the whole, but many folks that live downtown work elsewhere and do a reverse commute. They also tend to drive to the grocery store or to make errands, and for the purposes of social interaction with non-residents of downtown.

Guest Plastic

In the old clubs we had free parking. I'd rather one of those 3 in one clubs liek City Streets than have to walk out of each club and pay again.

And as for 50K people moving Downtown it will hurt transportation. They'd need to use buses and trains which Houston is pathetic at right now. Our many drivethroughs and indoor malls prove that Houstonians don't like to walk or go outside. WHat would really get DOwntown moving is what always has.....jobs. If we had a second boom maybe not in oil it would really get things moving Downtown. More skyscrapers would be built which would improce on our skyline. SKyline which is best viewed form afar Ghostdog.

In the old clubs we had free parking. I'd rather one of those 3 in one clubs liek City Streets than have to walk out of each club and pay again.

And as for 50K people moving Downtown it will hurt transportation. They'd need to use buses and trains which Houston is pathetic at right now. Our many drivethroughs and indoor malls prove that Houstonians don't like to walk or go outside. WHat would really get DOwntown moving is what always has.....jobs. If we had a second boom maybe not in oil it would really get things moving Downtown. More skyscrapers would be built which would improce on our skyline. SKyline which is best viewed form afar Ghostdog.

You're right that a boom in some non-energy sector would probably help foster more urban development. Engineers don't seem to make good urbanites. Having said that, I think you're way off about trying to improve our skyline. It's already one of our most distinctive assets. I'm not sure how you'd go about making it much better.

Well who's to say City Streets or Graham Central Station could not put a club up in downtown Houston?

I know downtown Nashville has a Graham Central Station which has multiple clubs I believe

Guest Plastic

I think they should do soemthing with CHinatown. A large partially abandoned area with lots of werehouses. I was thinking that could be someplace we could have lots of shopping and events.

I think they should do soemthing with CHinatown. A large partially abandoned area with lots of werehouses. I was thinking that could be someplace we could have lots of shopping and events.

Absolutely. Chinatown desperately needs a redevelopment. Here we are wanting to bring tourists, residents, and conventioneers to downtown Houston, and we have the rundown warehouse district DIRECTLY ACROSS THE FREEWAY from GRB Convention Center, Toyota Center, and MMP as if no one will notice. The area has so much potential, and no one seems to notice <_<

Absolutely. Chinatown desperately needs a redevelopment. Here we are wanting to bring tourists, residents, and conventioneers to downtown Houston, and we have the rundown warehouse district DIRECTLY ACROSS THE FREEWAY from GRB Convention Center, Toyota Center, and MMP as if no one will notice. The area has so much potential, and no one seems to notice <_<

it looks like they've started to redevelop part of that area in 2nd ward with the skyrocket of new townhome construction, but yes ChinaTown is a dump and desperately needs some upgrade.

it looks like they've started to redevelop part of that area in 2nd ward with the skyrocket of new townhome construction...

Exactly. If you were to drive along the elevated portion (SB) of the Eastex/Southwest Freeway as it passes downtown and look to your left, you can see a growing mass of new construction stretching from about Canal Street south to I-45.

As for Old Chinatown... I wouldn't call it a dump per se but it certainly is a shell of itself relative to the upkeep of the infrastructure and the number of establishments still in business. New Chinatown is freakin' Disneyland in comparison--for better or worse. Strippish in nature but I'm impressed with the economic activity and expansion going on in that section of the city.

I got a sinus pain by squinting at the post.

... it looks like he is taking a keyboarding class and has to type something without backspacing and a cover over the keyboard.

Anyways, Downtown has too much to 'need'. You'd be better off listing what it already has as appose to things it does not.

• 5 years later...

Archived