Highway 59 - 610 Interchange Partial Rebuild

The part where people had to cross 4 lanes of traffic to get off on Westheimer if going north on 610 was a 100% success with that excellent single lane off ramp that gets you off of the main lanes before you cross over 59 and then dumps you right on the feeder before Westheimer.

The major failure was in the ramp that takes you from 610 north going to 59 south. Before they reconstructed this area that area of 610 right in front of the Home Depot was famous for wrecks. I still see the area jammed up at all hours of the day during the work week. They did improve the access to go to 59 north but the 59 south ramp seems to be too narrow and sharp for large commercial trucks and SUVs to take at high speed. Even when the traffic is not heavy people slow down to 25-40 mph on that turn.

They should have built an exit ramp like the ones they have at beltway 8 and 59 north where it is a very lazy and gradual curve with lots of shoulder room for people to feel more safe about not hitting the wall. This curve should have gone over the old existing 610 bridge that goes over 59. The exit for the ramp should have been at least a mile before the actual exit by raising a wall protected with crash barrel to keep people from jumping on the exit at the last second and causing more slowing.

With that intersection being in the top 10 more busy and dangerous in the USA the sky should have been the limit on funding a good solution.

• Like 1

Both ramps to 59S stink. The one from 610S to 59S is infinitely worse -- arguably, it is the most congested and poorly designed ramp in all of Houston. They should have made the West Alabama entrance ramp go only to 59S. The scant traffic wanting to head north should be made to detour via either Richmond or San Felipe. Right now, those few people merging leftward are what make the 610 mainlanes back up past I-10.

Edited by desirous
  • Like 1

The major failure was in the ramp that takes you from 610 north going to 59 south. Before they reconstructed this area that area of 610 right in front of the Home Depot was famous for wrecks. I still see the area jammed up at all hours of the day during the work week. They did improve the access to go to 59 north but the 59 south ramp seems to be too narrow and sharp for large commercial trucks and SUVs to take at high speed. Even when the traffic is not heavy people slow down to 25-40 mph on that turn.

They should have built an exit ramp like the ones they have at beltway 8 and 59 north where it is a very lazy and gradual curve with lots of shoulder room for people to feel more safe about not hitting the wall. This curve should have gone over the old existing 610 bridge that goes over 59. The exit for the ramp should have been at least a mile before the actual exit by raising a wall protected with crash barrel to keep people from jumping on the exit at the last second and causing more slowing.

With that intersection being in the top 10 more busy and dangerous in the USA the sky should have been the limit on funding a good solution.

Design standards were different in the late 50's when the interchange was designed. Cars were bigger and slower, and people didn't barrel down them like they do today. I don't see anything wrong with those ramps today. Solution is, if you're driving a big rig or a SUV or a car that can't handle sharp curves at speed well, slow down! That's why they're going 25-40 mph in light traffic. If you crash going through it, it's your fault, not TxDOT's. They have signs telling you to slow down. It's all part of being a responsible driver.

• Like 1

Again, who did these designs? All that construction and money for basically the same results! Idiots! No accountability.

Why is the 59 northbound to 610 north only one freaking lane?!!??!?!??!?!? What they need to do is shut down the Chimney Rock entrance ramp there.

• Like 1

Design standards were different in the late 50's when the interchange was designed. Cars were bigger and slower, and people didn't barrel down them like they do today. I don't see anything wrong with those ramps today. Solution is, if you're driving a big rig or a SUV or a car that can't handle sharp curves at speed well, slow down! That's why they're going 25-40 mph in light traffic. If you crash going through it, it's your fault, not TxDOT's. They have signs telling you to slow down. It's all part of being a responsible driver.

I disagree these ramps are horrible for the "labeld" busiest intersection in Texas. I think they should have constructed it like the recontructed 610 & I10 intersection. They should have rebuilt 610 mainlanes with the newer style peirs to allow for more room for the ramps. Also they should have two continous lanes on the busier ramps, and start the ramp atleast a mile before the intersection and extend in a mile after the intersection likie the 75(N Central Exp) & 635(LBJ Fwy) intersection in Dallas.

• Like 1

Again, who did these designs? All that construction and money for basically the same results! Idiots! No accountability.

Why is the 59 northbound to 610 north only one freaking lane?!!??!?!??!?!? What they need to do is shut down the Chimney Rock entrance ramp there.

The 59N to 610N is 2 lanes. the 59N to 610S is only 1 lane.

• Like 1

I think they should have constructed it like the recontructed 610 & I10 intersection.

The ramp from 610 northbound to I-10 westbound is terrible. There are mornings where it has been easier for me to take the I-10 eastbound ramp, take a left on Washington, and come back onto I-10 westbound from Old Katy Rd. than to simply take the westbound ramp.

Could you imagine the long line going into the Fountainview intersection. I don't think that would fly.

More lanes yes, less entrances no.

Yeah, if they shut down the Chimney Rock entrance to the main lanes at that point, they'd have needed to have built another flyover like they've got for Westheimer folks going southbound on 610.

The ramp from 610 northbound to I-10 westbound is terrible. There are mornings where it has been easier for me to take the I-10 eastbound ramp, take a left on Washington, and come back onto I-10 westbound from Old Katy Rd. than to simply take the westbound ramp.

That's because I-10 is not finished yet. Seven lanes (3 on I-10, 2 from 610N, 2 from 10S) merge down to... three! No surprise there. Wait until I-10 itself is completed; the ramp might not be so bad then.

Sorry about that, I meant 59 northbound to 610 southbound. Its a huge bottleneck and it causes all the traffic there at the intersection. People go so freaking slow on that connection, because its another blind merge from the connector from 59 southbound and then all the kamikazi guys on 610 trying to exit on Fornace. Do the traffic engineers even scope out the traffic patterns before they design these things?

To adapt to the changes that have occured in vehicle design thus enabling higher speed operation the roadways must also be changed.

Do you think putting jet engines on aircraft was a bad idea? Props are what flew out of airports all over the world first so was building longer runways to accomodate faster jets also a mistake?

Edited by LarryDallas

To adapt to the changes that have occured in vehicle design thus enabling higher speed operation the roadways must also be changed.

Do you think putting jet engines on aircraft was a bad idea? Props are what flew out of airports all over the world first so was building longer runways to accomodate faster jets also a mistake?

I understand where you're coming from, but the jet engine/prop analogy isn't very valid in this particular case. Of course jet engined aircraft needed longer runways, they had higher takeoff speeds and higher takeoff weights than thier prop counterparts. Cars do not have to be at a high speed to handle a curve, they can slow down and adapt to the road design without crashing.

Edited by JLWM8609
  • Like 1

I understand where you're coming from, but the jet engine/prop analogy isn't very valid in this particular case. Of course jet engined aircraft needed longer runways, they had higher takeoff speeds and higher takeoff weights than thier prop counterparts. Cars do not have to be at a high speed to handle a curve, they can slow down and adapt to the road design without crashing.

Slowing down to a crawl on a freeway is socially irresponsible; it causes huge traffic jams during rush hour. The price of excessive caution is public misery. Just because you can take the elevator to floor two doesn't mean you should.

Edited by desirous

Yes and no. No because if a vast majority of roadways are designed by engineers to be taken at 60 mph with complete safety and you have one that is a newly built exact copy of the first one built back in the 1950s when vehciles themselves were primative (solid axels, body on frame design, drum brakes, etc); this catches people off gaurd and is a major safety problem even in low traffic conditions. Someone who does not know that interchange and takes the turn at high speed can have a crash. Yes it is the fault of the driver for crashing but it is the fault of TXDOT for making conditions more favorable for a crash.

Another idiotic design is the new underground feeder road from 610 northbound that merges with 59 northbound. If your on the 59 feeder it will merge with the 610 feeder but it is totally blind. So they closed off one lane, the only problem is tons of cars use the feeder, they exit on New Castle to avoid the giant traffic jam on 610, and many want to make a left on Richmond. I thought they did all this big buck work to help traffic in the Galleria Area? I think its made it worse.

• 5 years later...

until they decide to delete the Westheimer exits (both sides) and the Richmond/Hiidalgo exit (southbound) it will continue to be fubar. then consider deleting the Chimney Rock exits both ways on 59 so traffic has to flow further from the interchange before being able to get off.

that worked pretty well to increase traffic flow on northbound 610 to northbound 59 and on 59 itself when the Newcastle exit was deleted. might also consider forcing northbound 610 exiters to n&s 59 to get to the right much further south than at present, maybe around the Bellaire overpass.

• Like 1

Wow we just keep sinking money into this, don't we. The 59 south to 610 north ramp is always backed up, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. There's no merges, and there's plenty of time to change lanes before the Westheimer exit. I guess it's just typical Houston driver stupidity.

They re-did this interchange roughly 10 years ago I think? And now TxDOT is spending away again, only to do the same thing in another 10 years. They need to do it right, or not do it at all.

Edit: Looking more closely at the specific things TxDOT is doing, I wish they would specify a little more. Are they just rebuilding the bridges? Adding another lane?

Hopefully they can finish the job they started a decade ago.

Edited by mfastx
  • Like 1

In the rebuild from a few years ago - they redid some of the connectors but not all of them, and on others only redid a part of them or expanded them. Maybe it's a full-blown rework of the connectors. What they did a few years back, was a 100% improvement over what was previously there.

In the rebuild from a few years ago - they redid some of the connectors but not all of them, and on others only redid a part of them or expanded them. Maybe it's a full-blown rework of the connectors. What they did a few years back, was a 100% improvement over what was previously there.

Right. I remember a few years back they re-did the intersection but left some of the old bridges intact. I guess they left it for another day.

Glad that they are finishing the job, hopefully they do their homework on traffic flow and this interchange won't have to be rebuilt in another decade or so.

• Like 1

until they decide to delete the Westheimer exits (both sides) and the Richmond/Hiidalgo exit (southbound) it will continue to be fubar.

Deleting the Westheimer exits will just move the congestion to another point. People will still need to get to Westheimer from 610 somehow.

• Like 1

I agree the plans look vague... part of the issue is that it's a rainbow orgasm of an engineering diagram... my eyes can't super impose the final design over the top of the right-of-way lines, shifted lane configurations, and overlapping ramps. If I even get it half right, it looks like 610 SB gets it's own chimney rock exit (along with an improved 59 NB/SB split) that merges with a pre-exited 59 SB lane to avoid the merge while existing 610 SB to 59 SB braids over the top. It also looks like 59 NB to 610 SB will braid over exiting 610 SB at Fournace, with something similar happening going NB. For that matter, it looks like the ramps are going to be lofted about half a mile in advance of the stack, a la west 8 @ 10. Finally (hopefully) it looks like they may also braid over the 610 SB to 59 NB stuff, which would solve the cluster at Wesleyan.

What is interesting, is that they are considering this so soon after the last rebuild. I wonder if it is being driven by congestion on the West Loop vs. 59. Because coming in 59 is SO much better than it used to be. Yes it backs up in the morning, but it really is not bad till the Hillcroft curve which is not a great distance. (unless there is a wreck - then all bets are off).

Now outbound in the evening is far worse. And the interchange that actually needs work is the Beltway 8 - 59S interchange. It backs all the way up to the Hillcroft curve the other way outbound. As soon as you pass Beltway 8 - the freeway opens up. Hopefully with them adding a lane on the Southbound Tollway - that will decrease the backup on the connectors to 59.