Redwood Restoration Updated

TXvoodoo

I have completed almost all the redwood restoration on the house and am very pleased with the results. It has made it a completely different home than it was! Oddly enough I think I am going to miss working on the house now that it is almost finished. My wife suggested I pick up my old hobby of fishing. The one thing I have learned through the process is that I would like to purchase another MCM to restore, although I hope it is a much smaller one this time. Too bad I can't make a living out of it.

I have included two photos. One is of the backyard and the large wall in the photo is 12' high by about 28' long. That was the one wall on the house that I dreaded, but it turned out to not be too difficult to finish. The front patio is another story. Lots of small areas that had to be sanded with various machines and a lot of hand sanding.

The house should officially be on the market by July 1st. It will be a for sale by owner for the first month and if there are no buyers we will list it with a realtor. I have been talking to Houston Mod about getting it on the Mod of the Month Tour but that does not seem too promising at the moment. Should it not make the tour I plan on posting an open house on this forum so tell your friends and come out to see this cool little piece of art!

Thanks for the compliments, I sincerely enjoy doing the work plus I think the house deserves to be brought back to its former glory (although the redwood has always been painted). The house is in Braeburn Valley a very small unique neighborhood of 97 homes that were almost all custom built in the mid 50's to early 60's. It was designed by Lucian Hood in 1956. This particular home was designed for a Swiss diplomat (Dr. Fuchs) and his wife who had no children but enjoyed entertaining guests so the home is quite large (2755 square feet) with large common areas. It is technically only a 2 bedroom 3 bath but could very easily be a 3 bedroom 2 bath with slight modifications. It sits on a 14,850 square foot corner lot with an incredibly gorgeous manicured Live Oak in the back yard. I have attached photos but please note that the photo of the front of the house is 6 years old so it does not reflect the mature front garden with Fig Ivy on the walls nor the stripped Redwood walls.

when I was a kid growing up in Bellaire I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood. several of my friends families moved out there from Bellaire and there were lots of sleepovers. Bissonnet was 2 lane blacktop and my cousin married the daughter of a FARMER whose small farm was across the street from that neighborhood - where Sharpstown High School is now. a hell of a lot changed between the mid-50s and mid-60s!

That is one gorgeous house. Wow.

it's still a stunning neighborhood, especially since Braeburn CC golf course is the west boundary. 1 street east of the neighborhood is Bonhomme and there are some incredible multiacre properties on that street.

We are selling because our daughter has graduated high school and will be heading off to college in Colorado. My wife and I are planning on leaving Texas and driving all the way to Patagonia. We plan on spending a year on the road traveling through Central America and South America. My wife is 38 and I am 43 so we feel young enough to take off a spend a little time on a grand adventure. If the house doesn't sell we will just rent it but it would be nice to have cash in the bank from the sale of the home so we can enjoy our trip a bit more. One day we will find another MCM home to restore, I can't imagine living in any other type of home. I would love to build a retro Mod and that may be what we end up doing.

Archived