Suggestions For Tour Guides For Houston

I met someone this week who was in town for a conference, I didn't know this person previously, but we got into a conversation and I ended up giving her some guidance on what to see and do in Houston. This has happened to me several dozen times over the past 18 years, and this most recent experience has spurred me to create my own tourist guides for the city - nothing extravagant, but something I can just post somewhere and/or send via email. I recognize that there are more formal tourist guides out there, but - based on the statements of friends/family/people I've met - there's some room for alternatives.

To this end, I intend to create several simple 'tour categories' with lists and maps of things to see and do in the region. Here's my preliminary list; I'd like to get some suggestions on the categories first, then I'll start filling out the lists. If anyone's willing to provide suggestions, I'd be happy to take a look at them. Once I'm done with this project, I'd also be happy to share these write-ups and/or post them on-line (here or on a dedicated site).

Preliminary List of Tour Categories

'Big Stuff' tour (major monuments/tourist attractions)

Architectural tour (self-explanatory)

Driving tour (able to be done by car, without getting out)

Haunted tour (self-explanatory)

Shopping tour (unique shopping venues)

Eateries tour (list of unique restaurants)

Drinkeries tour (self-explanatory)

Cultural tour (museums/theaters/etc)

Public arts tour (self-explanatory)

Central city tour (focusing on those attractions within the inner core of the city - not just Downtown, though)

Any suggestions for more/modified categories would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has any suggestions on things to include in each list, that'd be great. I'll post my own lists after I get the categories down.

Drinkeries:

Anvil (awesome cocktails)

Flying Saucer (the original craft beer bar in Houston)

Petrol Station (raised the game on craft beer, very nice place to drink)

Hay Merchant (now easily the best craft beer bar in Houston)

Mongoose vs. Cobra (Brand spanking new. Impressive craft beer bar with a decent cocktail program as well, nice atmosphere. This is across the street from Leon's Lounge)

La Carafe (Historic location, downtown, very antique feel. Wine, a beer selection that's constantly improving, awesome jukebox)

Warren's (Powerful drinks, downtown, nice atmosphere)

Liberty Station (Patio bar with a good beer selection and above average cocktails)

Boheme (Nice casual wine bar with a huge back patio)

Obviously I'm light on wine bars here. Someone else might be able to fill in the gaps here.

Eateries:

A very tricky question. I could list some favorites, but I don't know...this is really better done by cuisine. It would be a massive list, otherwise.

When you have a good compiled list send me a copy please. I've lived here most of my live and I'm still amazed at how little I know about this city...

I'd be happy to do so.

Drinkeries:

Anvil (awesome cocktails)

Petrol Station (raised the game on craft beer, very nice place to drink)

Hay Merchant (now easily the best craft beer bar in Houston)

Mongoose vs. Cobra (Brand spanking new. Impressive craft beer bar with a decent cocktail program as well, nice atmosphere. This is across the street from Leon's Lounge)

La Carafe (Historic location, downtown, very antique feel. Wine, a beer selection that's constantly improving, awesome jukebox)

Warren's (Powerful drinks, downtown, nice atmosphere)

Liberty Station (Patio bar with a good beer selection and above average cocktails)

Boheme (Nice casual wine bar with a huge back patio)

Obviously I'm light on wine bars here. Someone else might be able to fill in the gaps here.

Eateries:

A very tricky question. I could list some favorites, but I don't know...this is really better done by cuisine. It would be a massive list, otherwise.

Thanks for the suggestions. I agree about the eateries. Rather than thinking about the 'best' restaurants (even within certain styles), I'm now thinking that these could be included in the other tour lists - i.e., "here are some eateries/drinkeries near each of the stops within each tour." Thoughts?

Anyone who remembers when the Gingerman first opened in 1985, and DeFalco's occupied the space next door to it, would almost certainly challenge that assertion.

I was thinking abou those eateries. . . . . . . .

if you look over the drinkeries there are some pretty good restaurants clustered together on lower Westheimer-----

Hugo's, Da Marco's, Underbelly, El Real, Mo Mong, and on the way to Boheme there's two new restaurants, Roots and L'Olivier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Suggestions For Tour Guides For Houston

Archived