Royal Sonesta Houston Hotel At 2222 West Loop S.

I noticed in the Houston Business Journal that the Intercontinental Hotel on the West Loop near Westheimer was going to change to a Royal Sonesta. I am not familiar with this brand. Is this an upgrade or a downgrade from the Intercontintal?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2012/05/intercontinental-hotel-changes-brand.html

Another hotel I have been meaning to ask about for a long time is the old Holiday Inn that was on the northbound West Loop between Richmond and Westheimer. It closed a while back and the branding went away to be replaced by small vinyl sign above the door reading Hotel 31. Is this hotel even open? And it seems like it's in a fairly decent location - literally minutes to the Galleria - why hasn't something better happened to this building considering all the other Galleria-area activity?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Simbha. When I drive by it I always wonder if its even open. I can't tell as I'm usually on the southbound feeder so I can't see if anyone is in the parking lot. It looks abandoned - but not the same as the old Days Inn downtown.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Royal Sonesta Houston
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Royal Sonesta Houston At 2222 West Loop S.
  • 1 year later...
  • The title was changed to Royal Sonesta Houston Hotel At 2222 West Loop S.