Hermann Park At 6100 Hermann Park Dr.

FYI, I took the family to Hermann Park Saturday morning. What a gem this park is!! The renovations to the reflection pool and McGovern Lake are fantastic. There have also been a lot of reforestation projects undertaken that will pay dividends in a few years. We should be proud of Hermann. . . it's a great urban park. Do yourself a favor and spend a couple of hours there soon. It is a good stress reliever. . .

• Like 1

Yes, the improvements to Hermann Park are great. I love riding MetroRail over there on Saturday afternoons to have lunch by the lake and walk around. It's a beautiful part of the city and unfortunately I think a lot of people either don't know what's there or don't make the effort to drive into town to use it. It's certainly a lot nicer than any of the suburban parks I've seen.

The Hermann Park Conservancy (formerly Friends of Hermann Park) has a great website on the park and the projects they've completed so far, along with ones that are in the works. Check it out at http://www.hermannpark.org/. This group is a shining example of a citizen-led nonprofit working in partnership with the city to bring about civic improvements that the city alone would not have the funding to do for many years.

• Like 1

Can someone post a photo or two of the reflection pool?

This is from the home page of the Hermann Park Conservancy website:

reflection_web.gif

I have a few other pictures I've taken of the reflection pool but they aren't online at the moment. I'll try to get them uploaded so I can link them here. But here are a few others of the park.

Hermann-Park-Lake-1.jpg

Hermann-Park-Lake-2.jpg

Japanese-Tea-Garden.jpg

Sam-Houston-Statue(1).jpg

• Like 1

Hermann Park train takeover offer derailed

08:07 PM CDT on Tuesday, September 21, 2004

By Doug Miller / 11 News

Click to watch video

As familiar as the fountains and the families found in Hermann Park, is the Hermann Park train.

The familiar call of "all aboard" rings out as passengers climb onto the train.

When asked what her three-year-old son Armando likes about the train, passenger Veronica Babot replies, "Oh, it's great. He loves it. I mean, it's a must see every time we come here."

It's a Houston institution, rolling along the same tracks, run by the same family for 47 years.

But the train contract is up for renewal, and the little choo-choo has attracted some high-rolling interest.

Tillman Fertitta's Landry's Restaurant Group, which runs a train at the Downtown Aquarium, has talked to a number of city officials about taking over the Hermann Park train concession. And that's raised some questions.

"I think we can really work to explore the possibility that it could become something much, much more than what it is today," says Houston City Councilmember Adrian Garcia.

Right now, people pay for the ride mainly for fun. Now there's talk about eventually turning this novelty attraction into a serious people mover.

The Metro train station at Hermann Park sits about a 30 second walk away from the Hermann Park train tracks. But the Hermann Park train doesn't stop there.

Anyone who wants to take over this little train and convert it for serious transit will run into some roadblocks.

For example, city officials say the track itself is owned by the family that runs the train.

"Well, if you're going to move people as an item of transportation, you have to make sure people with wheelchairs have access equally to those who are surefooted," says Houston City Councilmember Shelley Sekula-Gibbs.

The Parks Department wants to renew the contract for three years.

For now, White administration sources say the Landry's inquiry came too late to stop the little engine in the park.

• Like 1

A peoplemover? What are these people smoking? Geez, it's a kiddie ride. Leave it alone! Besides, people that are too lazy to walk the 10-15 minutes it takes to get from the MetroRail Hermann Park/Rice U platform to the zoo entrance are likely too obese to fit in the miniature train anyway (and the walk might do them some good). This is just another sign of how lazy some people are and Tilman Fertitta's greed. I agree he has done some good projects (Kemah, Downtown Aquarium, Inn at the Ballpark) but I personally don't want every attraction in the city contributing to his pockets. I hope the train remains what it is now, and continues to be run as a family operation, not by some greedy corporate tycoon like Fertitta.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The photos above are not of the reflection pool. Those are photos of the pond located by the train station attraction. The reflection pool does not have boat rides. It is rectangular in shape and as Talbot stated, similiar to the one in Washington D.C.

Reflection pool

A website highlighting Herman Park and the museum District.

Texas Explorer

The photos above are not of the reflection pool. Those are photos of the pond located by the train station attraction. The reflection pool does not have boat rides. It is rectangular in shape and as Talbot stated, similiar to the one in Washington D.C.

Reflection pool

A website highlighting Herman Park and the museum District.

Texas Explorer

I didn't say they were - but I did post a photo from the Hermann Park website that is of the reflection pool. Under that, before the photos of the lake and the Japanese Tea Garden, I mentioned that the following photos were of other places in the park.

• 2 weeks later...

I flew into Houston this thursday, and will be at the Baseball game on Saturday. I spent the better part of today taking massive pictures of the Light Rail, Downtown, Midtown, The Medical Center, Hermann Park, The Tunnel System, The Heights etc. I have taken over 500 pictures on my Digital Camera (Sorry, It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY!) and I will "waste" the remaining 100 at MMP tomorrow. So be prepared to see Houston in a whole new way...

I flew into Houston this thursday, and will be at the Baseball game on Saturday. I spent the better part of today taking massive pictures of the Light Rail, Downtown, Midtown, The Medical Center, Hermann Park, The Tunnel System, The Heights etc. I have taken over 500 pictures on my Digital Camera (Sorry, It was a BEAUTIFUL DAY!) and I will "waste" the remaining 100 at MMP tomorrow. So be prepared to see Houston in a whole new way...

I thought you lived in Houston?

• 2 weeks later...

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!! I HAVE MY PICTURES! (Finally!!)

Pennzoil Place

JP Morgan Chase Tower

Downtown from Ob. Deck

Downtown

1100 Louisiana & The Wells Fargo Center

"Enron" Center 1

Montrose BLVD.

THats just a taste of the 456 pictures I have...

Sorry for the hold up, AOL is preventing me of anything right now...

Cheers!

LADIES AND GENTLEMAN!!! I HAVE MY PICTURES! (Finally!!)

Pennzoil Place

JP Morgan Chase Tower

Downtown from Ob. Deck

Downtown

1100 Louisiana & The Wells Fargo Center

"Enron" Center 1

Montrose BLVD.

THats just a taste of the 456 pictures I have...

Sorry for the hold up, AOL is preventing me of anything right now...

Cheers!

MOAR!!!

Wouldnt it be funny if Montrose was taken by federal agents for suspicious taking of downtown buildings?

Its not funny, I was kicked out of the JPMCT and WFT by the security guards... Because the management doesn't want pictures taken, so I just took as many as I could, for how ever I could run away from them. ;) or from across the street...