Houston Museum of Natural Science

• 4 months later...

As exciting as that article is, my eyebrows raised a bit when I read about how we're going against the wishes of the entire scientific community, not to mention the UN, by transporting Lucy's bones here from Ethiopia next summer. It seems like that decision might have something to do with the fact that we hired a marketer rather than a scientist as the museum's director. Calls to mind those unfortunate Houston stereotypes of an immature, money-driven boomtown.

• Like 1

If there were any serious objections to it, they wouldn't have been able to get Lucy in the first place.

Personally, I'd be a nervous wreck if I was responsible transporting anything from one museum to another as delicate and prized as Lucy, Dead See Scrolls, the Body World's exhibit, or the variety of priceless works of art!

• Like 1

If there were any serious objections to it, they wouldn't have been able to get Lucy in the first place.

Personally, I'd be a nervous wreck if I was responsible transporting anything from one museum to another as delicate and prized as Lucy, Dead See Scrolls, the Body World's exhibit, or the variety of priceless works of art!

There were serious objections to it - did you read the article? The scientific community is not in control of Lucy; the Ethiopian government is. What the Ethiopian government does to get money is not necessarily what is best for the fossils.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Lucy was supposed to come to Houston for a visit, but I can't find if she has come and gone, or if her visit is still in the works. I never saw a date, but she was to be on display at the Museum of Natural Science sometime this year.

Anyone know the status of this exhibit?

If memory serves well, isn't Lucy a centuries old mummy or the like? for a minute there I thought Lucy and Ethel were doing a come back tour. They could redo that great scene in the chocolate factory, then Lucy could do her classic...Vita-Veaga-Vega-Min commercial!

The museum district will never be matched. Its has an ambiance and allure unlike any other place in the city. I still have 8mm film of the little park over on Montrose by the Italian Community Center and nothing will ever compare to the neighborhoods around Sunset Blvd! A real hidden treasure in Houston. The homes have a mysterious effect like the kind crazy homes movie people used to build in the silent era days. Maybe Norma Desmond still lives over on SUNSET BLVD? "Mr De Mille I'm ready for my close up" Cool!

Lucy is the nearly complete, as well as the most complete fossilized, skeletal remains of an Australopithecine discovered by Don Johansen in 1974. The Houston Museum of Natural Science was very fortunate to have arranged for an exhibit of Lucy that was to occur in 2006. But, I can't find anything on it.

Did she come and go? Had the visit been delayed? Canceled?

Lucy is the nearly complete, as well as the most complete fossilized, skeletal remains of an Australopithecine discovered by Don Johansen in 1974. The Houston Museum of Natural Science was very fortunate to have arranged for an exhibit of Lucy that was to occur in 2006. But, I can't find anything on it.

I would just check the site:

http://www.mfah.org/main.asp?target=home

if nearly complete means 40%....

granted that is more than what is typically found

I believe she is dated at somewhere around 3 million years if my memory serves me

if nearly complete means 40%
But, you have to keep in mind that much of what bones were missing on one side of Lucy, scientists were able to recreate from the corresponding bone on the other side that was recovered. All they had to do was mirror the bone. When you put all the pieces in place, most of the skeleton could be seen.

• 2 months later...

Lucy is indeed coming to Houston -- to the Museum of Natural Science -- in August. It's going to be a blockbuster exhibit, so I would buy your tickets now.

http://www.hmns.org/exhibits/special_exhibits/lucy.asp

I had read recently about the furor in the scientific community over Lucy traveling to Houston. Some scientists say she's too fragile to travel. The museum negotiated with the Ethiopian government to seal the deal.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Now that we're nearing the end of Lucy's visit here in Houston, I was honestly surprised how many people actually came to Houston with the sole intention of just going to see Lucy.

After talking to more than a few clients, casual conversation with hotel and staff, I was a bit taken aback by this information. Several people I dealt with flew from Europe (scotland and Germany specifically) just to see Her and were very pleased and surprised about what Houston had to offer.

Of course, the lingering complaint I heard was the lack of transit options.

Makes me wonder if HMNS has stats about visitors seeing her?

We're only halfway through her visit -- it runs until late April. So the final impact won't be known for some time.

I know they've gotten money from me and will get more -- I went once by myself, once with the spouse, and will go this week again with my kid. On the days we can all go together it's too crowded!

• 9 months later...
What's different about Body Worlds 2 than the one a couple of years ago? And what dinosaur exhibit?

They always show those Body Worlds commercials while I'm eating.

Body Worlds Wikipedia

The previous exhibit was Body Worlds 3: The Story of the Heart. Part 2 concerns the nervous system.

I went to BWs 3 and was very impressed... the body's are really works of art, in addition to being educational. Preserving delicate structures is technically difficult.

• 2 months later...

In 2000, I visited the Museum for the first time. It was a cool experience...I remember the Planetarium was showing "Where in the Universe is Carmen Sandiego" and the McDonald's was pretty cool. It was unlike any McD's I had seen. For one thing, the restaurant offered snowcones, but what I'm trying to recall is that it had some science-themed combo meals (like a "Mars" themed meal). Unfortunately, the next time I managed to get back to it was in 2007, and it had been gutted and changed since then (to a fairly non-descript McD's). I'm really trying to remember those meals...as I never had them. Can anyone help? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Help!

Edited by IronTiger

In 2000, I visited the Museum for the first time. It was a cool experience...I remember the Planetarium was showing "Where in the Universe is Carmen Sandiego" and the McDonald's was pretty cool. It was unlike any McD's I had seen. For one thing, the restaurant offered snowcones, but what I'm trying to recall is that it had some science-themed combo meals (like a "Mars" themed meal). Unfortunately, the next time I managed to get back to it was in 2007, and it had been gutted and changed since then (to a fairly non-descript McD's). I'm really trying to remember those meals...as I never had them. Can anyone help? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Help!

Sorry ... can't help. Haven't been to that museum since I was a child.

• 3 months later...

I went to the number 2 a while back. It was one of the "last" showings, and was packed. It was amazing, very interesting. The birds hanging would occasionally flake off some of their stuff on the floor. A bit disturbing, but makes you appreciate your body and what it does. Not as inspiring as Lucy, but I would suggest seeing this atleast once in your life.

But try and go during the week, or when it's less busy. I got frustrated with people taking their sweet time reading a paragraph/looking at one piece and blocking it for an hour.

I always thought it was weird how the interactive "family" kid thing was tucked away. I think it's kinda dumb to name it a "family" wing. Isn't the whole Museum family friendly? I guess not the Body Worlds... And won't this be taking away from the Children's Museum?

Sorry, enough bitching. The design looks great. The empty spot where this is planned looks smaller in person. The second renderings make the seemingly 2 story structure look bigger compared with the butterfly structure.

• Like 1

Sorry, enough bitching. The design looks great. The empty spot where this is planned looks smaller in person. The second renderings make the seemingly 2 story structure look bigger compared with the butterfly structure.

The article says it will be 4 stories.

The only sad part is some of the trees that will have to go, but it will be worth it to see an expanded museum. I live nearby and bike past the museum every day on my way to Rice and the Medical Center, so I'm looking forward to seeing this go up. I guess there is no estimated time frame though because they still haven't secured the funding, right?

Edited by Jax
  • Like 1

The article says it will be 4 stories.

The only sad part is some of the trees that will have to go, but it will be worth it to see an expanded museum. I live nearby and bike past the museum every day on my way to Rice and the Medical Center, so I'm looking forward to seeing this go up. I guess there is no estimated time frame though because they still haven't secured the funding, right?

Well I never thought the landscaping on that side was terrific. The oaks & lawn on the "front" (west), side are a lot better. Glad to see they're doing something with the ugly side.

Maybe it's not the Duncan Family Wing but the Duncan Family Wing, meaning it was offered by the Duncan family. Know any wealthy Duncans?

Don't know. The article talks about classrooms & school children.

Wish my school had more field trips. I don't think I had any, except in Scotland. We saw Sesame Street live, walked through a forest, and went to a castle.

The only school gathering outside school (not including sporting or group/club events) here in the US was a 5th grade roller rink party. I spranged my ankle...

Is it only KISD that doesn't do field trips? What schools field trip to the Museum?

• Like 1

I live in the museum district and most weekdays there are always lots of HISD and other ISD busses parked out near the health science museum loading and unloading kids. I have no idea what schools or grades but daily there are at least 6-7 busses out there. And on my bike ride to Rice I always see more busses near the natural science museum as well.

• Like 1

definitely not dan duncan.

Why not?

In fact, the new wing is named for the Dan Duncan Family, and it is indeed the Duncan Family Wing.

They have been major contributors to the HMNS for some time and I'm pretty sure he has also served on the board.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

I always thought it was weird how the interactive "family" kid thing was tucked away. I think it's kinda dumb to name it a "family" wing. Isn't the whole Museum family friendly? I guess not the Body Worlds... And won't this be taking away from the Children's Museum?

In my first post, it said something about that the museum was only built for 200,000 student to visit every year. Today over 500,000 students visit, so it might be that they didn't have enough classrooms or learning centers. That might be the reason for it being a family wing? but my guess is that its because of the Duncan Family.

• Like 1

This is good. I remember this museum being super packed on my field trip days. I then remember eating my Lunchables on the lawn/pond/benches just outside the museum and feeding some to the birds. Good time, good times.

Maybe it's not the Duncan Family Wing but the Duncan Family Wing, meaning it was offered by the Duncan family. Know any wealthy Duncans?

Tim%20Duncan.jpg

Tim Duncan.

Edited by Trae
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Museum of Natural Science