Occupy Pat Lykos

editor

Got this e-mail from the Harris County District Attorney's office just now.

As District Attorney, it is my duty to pursue justice under the law. The people must have trust and confidence in the legal system. My record clearly reflects that I listen to the people and have made remarkable improvements to the criminal justice system.

The ministers scheduled a meeting with me today. We met to discuss the law and the criminal justice process.

Later this morning, a group obstructed the lobby of the District Attorney's Office. Profane language was directed against the employees of this office. They were disruptive and impeded our work.

Should anyone wish to meet with me, there is an appropriate manner in which to schedule it. I expect people to treat the dedicated professionals in my office with respect.

I will not permit any group to occupy our office. I will not allow the administration of justice to be held hostage. I will not capitulate to threats.

I swore to uphold the Constitution and the laws of the United States and of the sovereign State of Texas. I live by that vow. The DA's Office is both sword and shield to defend and protect the people of Harris County. Justice and order are inextricably intertwined.

These protesters are idiots. What do people expect idiots to do? They do idiotic things like "occupy __________".....They are protesting because a police officer was acquitted for doing his job....that kid was robbing houses and running from cops...he got what he had coming to him. He is just lucky that he did not get caught by a homeowner who would likely have just shot him....I would have.

its not the DA's fault that a jury looked at a thug, watched a video of a punk getting kicked by cops who put their life on the line to catch this thug who was burglarizing houses and evading arrest....Did they kick him a few times too many? Maybe, but they did not know if he had a gun on his person, and an unconscious thug definitely cant shoot you......I know that police are often over zealous, and I have witnessed undeserved police brutality first hand - but this was not really one of those cases....a punk got what he had coming to him...

Put me on the next jury...I will acquit the other 3 cops.

I believe it is the black community that was unjust to chad holley.

From what I can remember of the report I heard, there were twelve blacks in the jury pool for this particular case (I forgot the stats for the other races), but all were dismissed when said that, not only did they SEE the video, but also formed an opinion on the officer's guilt or innocence.

What irritates me is that the community is so quick to blame the very justice system they could participate in.

These protesters are idiots. What do people expect idiots to do? They do idiotic things like "occupy __________".....They are protesting because a police officer was acquitted for doing his job....that kid was robbing houses and running from cops...he got what he had coming to him. He is just lucky that he did not get caught by a homeowner who would likely have just shot him....I would have.

its not the DA's fault that a jury looked at a thug, watched a video of a punk getting kicked by cops who put their life on the line to catch this thug who was burglarizing houses and evading arrest....Did they kick him a few times too many? Maybe, but they did not know if he had a gun on his person, and an unconscious thug definitely cant shoot you......I know that police are often over zealous, and I have witnessed undeserved police brutality first hand - but this was not really one of those cases....a punk got what he had coming to him...

Put me on the next jury...I will acquit the other 3 cops.

Ah, the delicious irony of a rabid small government conservative, who can only say bad things about government, supporting the most dangerous arm of the government...the one that is armed. It is because people such as marksmu cheer when government agents abuse its citizens that the police state has been able to grow and thrive. But, he'll never understand that he supports that which he opposes.

Remember this post the next time marksmu rants about an out of control government, and remind him who enables it.

The irony did not escape me as I wrote the reply. Like I said, I have seen over zealous police and I have witnessed brutality that was undeserved by police who should not have a job as a police officer.... This case was different than those. If you are caught in the act and you run, you get what you have coming to you. A thug got kicked nothing more.

The irony did not escape me as I wrote the reply. Like I said, I have seen over zealous police and I have witnessed brutality that was undeserved by police who should not have a job as a police officer.... This case was different than those. If you are caught in the act and you run, you get what you have coming to you. A thug got kicked nothing more.

Kicking and punching a compliant suspect is a crime, regardless of your own personal opinions of what thugs deserve.

Does anyone remember a certain HAIF poster complaining vigorously a couple of years ago about HPD stopping him for a traffic violation and quizzing him about recent fires in the Heights? Remember how indignant he was that armed government agents would dare question him? I wonder what that guy thinks of armed government agents kicking and beating citizens? He'd probably be furious about it.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/22155-police-presence-since-fires/page__p__346696__hl__+heights%20+arsonist__fromsearch__1#entry346696

On second thought, maybe he'd just be a hypocrite about it, since he's an uppity white guy, and Chad Holley just a black kid.

Kicking and punching a compliant suspect is a crime, regardless of your own personal opinions of what thugs deserve.

I would not call him compliant. The only reason he was on the ground was bc he flipped over the hood of the police car. The first officer to be acquitted was only in the video for something like 3 or 4 seconds...

And Red, your race baiting is exactly what's wrong with this country... I see a criminal caught in a criminal act and you only see a black kid being arrested by a white officer...it's pathetic that you feel so guilty for being white that you have to see racism where it does not exist.

If you can't see the plain difference between a person pulled over three blocks from his house on his way to work early in the morning and a punk criminal caught robbing a house in the middle of the day when he should be in school then your race baiting guilt has blinded your ability to think clearly.

A punk got what he deserved...you see white/black I only see cop on thug.

And Red, your race baiting is exactly what's wrong with this country... I see a criminal caught in a criminal act and you only see a black kid being arrested by a white officer...it's pathetic that you feel so guilty for being white that you have to see racism where it does not exist.

If you can't see the plain difference between a person pulled over three blocks from his house on his way to work early in the morning and a punk criminal caught robbing a house in the middle of the day when he should be in school then your race baiting guilt has blinded your ability to think clearly.

Ah, yes. I am responsible for the downfall of the country. If only I would shut up and allow people to call a spade a spade without pointing out their dripping racism and hypocrisy. Why, then, all of the country's ills would be solved!

I would not call him compliant. The only reason he was on the ground was bc he flipped over the hood of the police car. The first officer to be acquitted was only in the video for something like 3 or 4 seconds...

Are you saying that police ought to beat the daylights out of any thug they see? Can you point me to the statute that allows that?

After the car hit Holley, he hit the ground nad put his hands behind his head. Proper police procedure would have been to have one or more officers cover him while another handcuffed him.

I would not call him compliant. The only reason he was on the ground was bc he flipped over the hood of the police car.

I would. He landed on his back and rolled over into a surrender pose, first with his hands spread-eagle, and second with his hands behind his head.

Are you familiar with a Use Of Force Continuum?

ycxkY.jpg

Besides, you weren't just letting off Blomberg. You said a thug got what he deserved and nothing more. There's plenty more, because a crime was committed by those other officers, one they're going to have to answer for.

This might be the funniest post ever posted on the HAIF.

Oh yes, racism would be OVER if only black folks and liberals would just shut up about it and take what's coming to them!

I take it back. This might be the saddest post ever written on the HAIF...

I'm not saying that the use of force was right....but I am certainly not outraged by it....not like the black community....all they see is black/white. Its not about the police use of force, its about a white officer and a black kid. They even tried to portray this criminal as a good kid in court ....its ridiculous.....Anytime there is a video of police roughing up a minority or any white on black crime it becomes instant news because the media loves a racy story....racism alive and well in Texas. Its great news; people watch it and they talk about it, it becomes center stage, and the networks get good ratings and more advertising dollars...its great for everyone talking about it, except that its not great for our community. It just gets folks riled up and people see more and more racism where it does not exist. This was not a race motivated beat down, but it became one because it makes good news....we rolled out the cameras for Quannel, and the New Black Panthers....we gave them ample air time for what? What was accomplished? Ratings, and a bunch of really incited people who are liable to do something stupid b/c of how worked up the news and Quannel got them. We pander to idiots, who are making their living pandering to even dumber idiots.

Our society has become so PC, so Sensitive that we cant just call this what it actually is. A kid, who skipped school, got caught stealing from people who were at work earning a living, ran from the cops in a car first, threw the homeowners valuables that they stole out of a moving car window, then bailed out of the car and tried to run on foot, and then got caught and roughed up by cops. There was no serious injury at all. I do not condone all of the cops who kicked/punched this punk for an extended time, but this particular acquittal was not outrageous in any way. The officer was in the video for less than 4 seconds....You may be offended by this and think this is the worst thing ever but I am not.

This was not a race motivated arrest.

I'm not saying that the use of force was right....but I am certainly not outraged by it....not like the black community....all they see is black/white.

As someone who is white and attended the protest on Wednesday, I was outraged by it. Police need to stop thinking of themselves as the executioner and just enforce the law. That means using only the force needed to apprehend a criminal and bring them to justice, not serving out street justice. Things like this are why a lot of communities feel reluctant to call the police.

They even tried to portray this criminal as a good kid in court

Not that I saw. Let's see some documentation for this claim. He was convicted of burglary and served his sentence.

we rolled out the cameras for Quannel, and the New Black Panthers....we gave them ample air time for what? What was accomplished?

Lykos agreed to a meeting with several ministers and listened to their concerns the following morning. This was citizens petitioning their government to hear a grievance, and the government hearing that grievance. It's as American as apple pie. You don't own the news companies and don't get to decide what they cover. If you didn't want to watch the coverage, you didn't have to.

As someone who is white and attended the protest on Wednesday, I was outraged by it. Police need to stop thinking of themselves as the executioner and just enforce the law. That means using only the force needed to apprehend a criminal and bring them to justice, not serving out street justice. Things like this are why a lot of communities feel reluctant to call the police.

Not that I saw. Let's see some documentation for this claim. He was convicted of burglary and served his sentence.

He didnt serve anything. In the interest of expedience and cost savings he got probation.....maybe community service too...I cant remember though...I think just probation....that punk learned nothing, got no real punishment, and is probably robbing houses and skipping school the same as if he never got picked up. He is a future resident of the Texas State Jail....that is unless he civil suit pays off. I guess since you are so outraged by this you think he deserves some cash for his hurt feelings too?

I dont believe incidents like this are why people do not call the police. Someone reporting a crime is seldom roughed up by a police officer....the communities not calling the police are not calling them b/c 1) they are usually doing something wrong themselves and 2) they are afraid of the retribution that comes from the gangs, and the rest of their community who believe in not speaking to the police b/c speaking with the police will get you shot.

Lykos agreed to a meeting with several ministers and listened to their concerns the following morning. This was citizens petitioning their government to hear a grievance, and the government hearing that grievance. It's as American as apple pie. You don't own the news companies and don't get to decide what they cover. If you didn't want to watch the coverage, you didn't have to.

Protesting the DA is fine. I dont disagree with their right to protest, and I dont pretend to have any influence at all over what the news people cover. The media is a free market, and racism pays...Their coverage was nauseating, biased, and intended to inflame tensions....Shameful in my opinion.

This whole case was never about Chad Holley, or police brutality - its always been about race and that is what is wrong. Lykos was obligated to hear their complaints...its an election year.

He didnt serve anything. In the interest of expedience and cost savings he got probation.....maybe community service too...I cant remember though...I think just probation....that punk learned nothing, got no real punishment, and is probably robbing houses and skipping school the same as if he never got picked up. He is a future resident of the Texas State Jail....that is unless he civil suit pays off. I guess since you are so outraged by this you think he deserves some cash for his hurt feelings too?

He was sentenced to probation, he served that probation sentence, so yeah, he served his sentence.

He was sentenced to probation, he served that probation sentence, so yeah, he served his sentence.

Unless he is already 18 he is still on probation....and just being told not to get arrested again for 2 years is hardly a sentence....It may be a sentence for him b/c its like losing a job for him, but its not a punishment....He got told to do what he is supposed to be doing in the first place. The homeowners lost all the stuff the punk through out the window of the car as they ran from the house he just broke into and he got told not to do it again. When I give my two year old time-out they get more punishment than he did.

Unless he is already 18 he is still on probation....and just being told not to get arrested again for 2 years is hardly a sentence.

If you've never known anyone on probation, it's a bit more than just "not getting arrested." It involves meeting with an officer periodically, random drug tests, being taken to the prisons for "scared straight" type programs, possibly getting a steady job, and various other things. You might think it was too lenient, but that's something to take up with the judge.

Holley completed his probation, and yes, he's 18.

Still waiting for that evidence that Holley was portrayed as a good kid in court. Where did you see this? Who said this?

If you've never known anyone on probation, it's a bit more than just "not getting arrested." It involves meeting with an officer periodically, random drug tests, being taken to the prisons for "scared straight" type programs, possibly getting a steady job, and various other things. You might think it was too lenient, but that's something to take up with the judge. Holley completed his probation, and yes, he's 18. Still waiting for that evidence that Holley was portrayed as a good kid in court. Where did you see this? Who said this?

Not wanting to get into this one way or the other - but found the phrasing of this rather amusing. This is a harsh requirement. What is this police state coming to? :o

I dont believe incidents like this are why people do not call the police. Someone reporting a crime is seldom roughed up by a police officer....the communities not calling the police are not calling them b/c 1) they are usually doing something wrong themselves and 2) they are afraid of the retribution that comes from the gangs, and the rest of their community who believe in not speaking to the police b/c speaking with the police will get you shot.

To be blunt, rich white people who went to SMU, and don't even use their law degree to serve the community have no place speaking for the Black community. I doubt you've ever even spoken with a Black person long enough to know even the slightest issues they face daily...such as arrogant white people thinking that they deserve beatings by the police.

I do not pretend to know what it is like to be Black in America, either, but at least I have actually spoken with them about it. I spoken with them in their homes, in their neighborhoods, in jail. I won't waste my time explaining why Blacks do not trust the police (it would be obvious to those who aren't bigots), but as for your complaints about being called racist? You've earned every word of it. Your posts demand it.

Back to the original topic. I am OK with the ministers, and even a few self appointed leaders wanting to meet with the DA, presumably to seek assurance that they will try the other officers, regardless of this verdict. What annoys the hell out of me was the protesting of the DA's office by the other idiots. Hey MORONS! You don't protest the group prosecuting the cops! You protest the cops! Go protest in front of HPD. Better yet, protest in fron of the police union. But, the DA? They are the ones trying to put them in jail! Support the DA, not protest!

End of rant.

Back to the original topic. I am OK with the ministers, and even a few self appointed leaders wanting to meet with the DA, presumably to seek assurance that they will try the other officers, regardless of this verdict. What annoys the hell out of me was the protesting of the DA's office by the other idiots. Hey MORONS! You don't protest the group prosecuting the cops! You protest the cops! Go protest in front of HPD. Better yet, protest in fron of the police union. But, the DA? They are the ones trying to put them in jail! Support the DA, not protest!

Well, Lykos didn't agree to meet with them until after the Thursday protest. And their specific grievance is that they were disappointed that only misdemeanors were filed against the officers. The DA isn't likely to put cops in jail with a misdemeanor charge.

Well, Lykos didn't agree to meet with them until after the Thursday protest. And their specific grievance is that they were disappointed that only misdemeanors were filed against the officers. The DA isn't likely to put cops in jail with a misdemeanor charge.

What felony could be charged? The kid did not sustain serious injury.

To be blunt, rich white people who went to SMU, and don't even use their law degree to serve the community have no place speaking for the Black community. I doubt you've ever even spoken with a Black person long enough to know even the slightest issues they face daily...such as arrogant white people thinking that they deserve beatings by the police.

I do not pretend to know what it is like to be Black in America, either, but at least I have actually spoken with them about it. I spoken with them in their homes, in their neighborhoods, in jail. I won't waste my time explaining why Blacks do not trust the police (it would be obvious to those who aren't bigots), but as for your complaints about being called racist? You've earned every word of it.

End of rant.

Please oh enlightened one let me know exactly what is racist about not using my law degree to help poor black people? I do plenty of pro-bono work with people of every race... I don't have to do criminal defense to be helping people.

I don't pretend to know what it's like to be black but I also am not going to make excuses for someone just bc they are black either. It's not at all racist to not be outraged when a punk gets caught by the cops. Had this criminal been Hispanic, white, Asian, or purple it wouldn't have mattered to me.

You could say I'm indifferent to the plight of criminals and that would be more accurate - but your outright name calling of racism is just ignorant and makes you sound like a fool! Get off your high horse you self Righteous race baiter.

I make no excuses for criminals. I don't care where they come from or what color they are.

Still waiting for that evidence that Holley was portrayed as a good kid in court. Where did you see this? Who said this?

Channel 11 or 13 had a news segment you can look for if you want but holly claimed he was just along for the ride, was not a member of the gang that he was with and that he did not participate in the robbery...He claimed to not even have entered the house but his friends testimony contracted his previous statements and nobody believed a word he said.

Channel 11 or 13 had a news segment you can look for if you want but holly claimed he was just along for the ride, was not a member of the gang that he wad with and that he did not participate inthe robbery...He claimed to not even have entered the house but his friends testimony contracted his previous statements and nobody believed a word he said.

I don't believe a word he said, either. But, lying criminals are no reason to impose the police state that you so fervently support. Remember, they start with those without a voice. Then they move to the rest of us.

I'm guessing Constitutional Law wasn't your strongest class in school.

What felony could be charged? The kid did not sustain serious injury.

I don't know that one could be charged. The laws of Texas are disappointing in this area. The police chief was saying that he too wished they could be charged with felonies.

But my point was that right or wrong, they felt they had a grievance to take up with the DA. And besides, it wasn't just the "DA's office"...the protest was in front of the Criminal Justice Center, and was directed at various facets of the court system (all of which could be pointed out by the speakers from this location).

I've been to many protests in Houston (one against Ruggles, Occupy, etc), but never one where the police took such a keen interest. I saw at least a dozen officers photographing and/or videorecording the protest.

LO1VP.jpg

But my point was that right or wrong, they felt they had a grievance to take up with the DA.

Hence, my statement that the people in the DA lobby were morons. Like I said, I am fine with the ministers and leaders asking for a redoubled effort, and I am certainly OK with protesting what I believe to be an unjust verdict. But, causing a scene in the lobby of the office trying to seek justice shows a lack of intelligence.

I could be wrong, but I believe one thing they were protesting (on TV news clips) was the all white jury. They had signs and were vocal on this point. I figured that was one item they wanted to talk to the DA about, as if she could control jury selection.

What surprised me was that they apparently did not know it was not in her power to change the way we select juries.

If anyone has once been on a panel for jury selection, they know how it's done.

Another point I'd like to make is that unless you, I or anyone was in that courtroom every day listening to testamony, we collectively do not know if the case was proven. I've sat on juries where 'we' were sure the accused was guilty but the state just did not make the case adequately enough.

And as far as I know, the judge still tells the jury to only consider what evidence and testamony was given in court.

DeGuerin explained that there were 2 blacks left in the pool for final selection after both sides struck their share of potential jurors. He said that one of the two worked in the DA's office and the other admitted that he'd been arrested several (don't remember the number) times by police but would not let that cloud his judgement. DeGuerin thought that it would.

Archived