Guidelines For Historic District Restoration Projects

fwki

Now that we live under the spectre of the HAHC, it is important to know the rules. Unfortunately the Commission has no publicly available guidelines. Luckily the HAHC chair published some guidelines when she worked under the Napoleonic Code for the New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission. For those wondering about HardiePlank, I will quote Phoebe Tudor, architectural historian and Chair of the HAHC:

"The general principle to keep in mind is to strive to use historically appropriate materials in architecturally appropriate ways. Correct proportions on everything - from the spacing of balusters in a railing to the height of the railing itself to the to the dimensions of doors and windows - are vitally important to the success of a project and to achieving a good restoration."

Source: New Orleans Preservation In Print, October 1985

http://www.prcno.org/programs/preservationinprint/piparchives/1985%20PIP/October%201985/14.html

We're hosed.

Now that we live under the spectre of the HAHC, it is important to know the rules. Unfortunately the Commission has no publicly available guidelines. Luckily the HAHC chair published some guidelines when she worked under the Napoleonic Code for the New Orleans Historic District Landmarks Commission. For those wondering about HardiePlank, I will quote Phoebe Tudor, architectural historian and Chair of the HAHC:

"The general principle to keep in mind is to strive to use historically appropriate materials in architecturally appropriate ways. Correct proportions on everything - from the spacing of balusters in a railing to the height of the railing itself to the to the dimensions of doors and windows - are vitally important to the success of a project and to achieving a good restoration."

Source: New Orleans Preservation In Print, October 1985

http://www.prcno.org...%201985/14.html

We're hosed.

Sure they do: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/HistoricPres/houston_heights_design_guide.html

Sorry S3mh, I don't live in either of those 2 districts, but that propaganda brochure on the Houston Heights sure was slick and it even had more photos than words, which is better for me and probably most of the HAHC. Maybe I can just send in some photos with my application....here's what it looks like now, and here is one down the street with the look I'm shooting for.

• The title was changed to Guidelines For Historic District Restoration Projects