A.D. Players At The George Theater At 5420 Westheimer Rd.

Isn't this where the AD Players new theater is supposed to go?  No idea what is going on with that (guessing they don't have enough donations to go forward yet), but here is the link:

http://adplayers.org/capitalcampaign.html

If that's what it's going to be, it's been in the planning for a long, long time.  They must have put the first "future site of AD Players" sign up at least 10 years ago.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I guess they're pretty close to hitting the amount needing to begin.

AD%20Players%20exterior.png

Since its founding in 1967, the A. D. Players have pioneered a unique style of theater committed to producing programs that uphold human values, offer creativity, and promote literacy and education. In 2003, BrewerEscalante was engaged to assist the A. D. Players with due diligence research for the acquisition of 4 acres of land on Westheimer Road near the Houston Galleria. BrewerEscalante has been engaged as the civil engineer for the current development of that site. Gabriel Architects is the project architect. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2014 on the site for the 450 seat Proscenium Theater. Site development includes surface parking for over 180 patrons and employees.

http://www.brewer-escalante.com/Markets-Commercial.html

• 4 weeks later...

I'm ok with it being built out from the Theater District, Houston is large enough to support small arts organizations in other locations.  A little underwhelming though, a shame they didn't do something a bit more daring... still a better venue and architectural work than the current location.

Looks like someone has a fondness for Richard Meier :P If that's the case then you know that stone is travertine xD. I agree with you arche_757 Houston should have multiple theaters to help bring entertainment to each of our urban cores/downtowns. For the big stuff you should have it at the theater district, but it's always good to spread it around especially in this area of town where it is booming and needs some more entertainment options. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Unfortunately, it's been like that for a while.

The Queensbury Theatre is about half done at this point. It's Dueling Community Theaters! B)

It has been fenced for awhile since Mission Construction moved their trailer to the lot.  I am the Production Manager for the theater, and we have been awaiting the lengthy City of Houston permitting process.  Construction of our new theater should be commencing by the end of the year.

toxtethogrady - Just to point out that yes, The Queesbury is a community theater, the A.D. Players is not.  We have a full time staff of 20 professionals and several contract artists that produce 10 shows a year.  In addition, the Queensbury was fortunate enough to have a piece of property that a developer wanted, and I believe that their new building was part of the deal for the land where the old theater was.

The 2015-16 theater season is going to be very exciting for Houston with The Alley moving back into their newly renovated theater, the opening of the new Queesbury Theater, the newly renovated Main Street theater on Times Blvd, the opening of the MATCH, and the opening of the A.D. Players new theater.  Very exciting for all of us in the business and our patrons. 

• Like 6

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think I saw the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the AD Players in the 1990s one time. I am actually pretty surprised they get something like this, it seemed "community theater" back then, not bad just small.

I hope you would assume that any arts organization would grow over 20 or so years. I have been with the theater since the early 90s and we have grown in many ways. I hope you give us another chance now and once we've moved to Westheimer.

Edited by MarkLTD
  • Like 3

I think I saw the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the AD Players in the 1990s one time. I am actually pretty surprised they get something like this, it seemed "community theater" back then, not bad just small.

It was gifted to them by Bob McNair. Equivalents in DC would be the church-related theater companies (Aldersgate, St. Mark's) but on a much more ambitious scale.