Flamingyak

A.D. Players Property (Galleria)

Is that what those huge cranes around the area have been? I've seen at least two really tall cranes in the area that weren't related to any obvious construction.

My parents went to a play at the AD Players last night. Their program has a rendering and requests for donations, so it seems like they'll build it as soon as they have the funds.

Thought I'd throw this out there. It's the same rendering provided by ChannelTwoNews earlier in this thread - which appears on the sign at the site - but this is a slightly higher-quality version which appears on the AD Players website itself.

capital-graphic.jpg

Not to overtly solicit money on their behalf - I have no affiliation with AD Players and have never even been to one of their performances - but this won't happen without donations. If you want to see this become realized, I encourage you all to directly contribute whatever you can: http://www.adplayers.org/capitalcampaign.html. It's a nice looking building and I think it would really enhance the uptown area.

Shouldn't everything like this be built in Midtown? To make it more lively?

Yes.

• Like 1

I guess they're pretty close to hitting the amount needing to begin.

AD%20Players%20exterior.png

Since its founding in 1967, the A. D. Players have pioneered a unique style of theater committed to producing programs that uphold human values, offer creativity, and promote literacy and education. In 2003, BrewerEscalante was engaged to assist the A. D. Players with due diligence research for the acquisition of 4 acres of land on Westheimer Road near the Houston Galleria. BrewerEscalante has been engaged as the civil engineer for the current development of that site. Gabriel Architects is the project architect. Construction is scheduled to begin in 2014 on the site for the 450 seat Proscenium Theater. Site development includes surface parking for over 180 patrons and employees.

http://www.brewer-escalante.com/Markets-Commercial.html

About Damn time! I apologize for my language, but this prime piece of property has sat too long with no activity. is it just me?

From that angle it reminds me of the design for new Ford dealership showrooms.

AD%20Players%20exterior.png

tommie-rendering*304.jpg

• Like 7

I'm ok with it being built out from the Theater District, Houston is large enough to support small arts organizations in other locations.  A little underwhelming though, a shame they didn't do something a bit more daring... still a better venue and architectural work than the current location.

Looks like someone has a fondness for Richard Meier :P If that's the case then you know that stone is travertine xD. I agree with you arche_757 Houston should have multiple theaters to help bring entertainment to each of our urban cores/downtowns. For the big stuff you should have it at the theater district, but it's always good to spread it around especially in this area of town where it is booming and needs some more entertainment options. 

• Like 1

Maybe they should name the Ford Theater.

Just don't invite anyone who owns a Lincoln.

• Like 4

The site is fenced in with a construction trailer on site and a rendering sign. Not sure if this is recent news or not, but I just noticed for the first time.

The site is fenced in with a construction trailer on site and a rendering sign. Not sure if this is recent news or not, but I just noticed for the first time.

Unfortunately, it's been like that for a while.

Unfortunately, it's been like that for a while.

The Queensbury Theatre is about half done at this point. It's Dueling Community Theaters! B)

It has been fenced for awhile since Mission Construction moved their trailer to the lot.  I am the Production Manager for the theater, and we have been awaiting the lengthy City of Houston permitting process.  Construction of our new theater should be commencing by the end of the year.

toxtethogrady - Just to point out that yes, The Queesbury is a community theater, the A.D. Players is not.  We have a full time staff of 20 professionals and several contract artists that produce 10 shows a year.  In addition, the Queensbury was fortunate enough to have a piece of property that a developer wanted, and I believe that their new building was part of the deal for the land where the old theater was.

The 2015-16 theater season is going to be very exciting for Houston with The Alley moving back into their newly renovated theater, the opening of the new Queesbury Theater, the newly renovated Main Street theater on Times Blvd, the opening of the MATCH, and the opening of the A.D. Players new theater.  Very exciting for all of us in the business and our patrons. 

• Like 6

This thing has been quiet for a while. Zero activity on the property.

Yeahh.. What's up? I know they had theater plans but it would be nice to see a mixed use development go up here with the theater in the base/podium, below a residential component or something.

I think I saw the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the AD Players in the 1990s one time. I am actually pretty surprised they get something like this, it seemed "community theater" back then, not bad just small.

I think I saw the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the AD Players in the 1990s one time. I am actually pretty surprised they get something like this, it seemed "community theater" back then, not bad just small.

I hope you would assume that any arts organization would grow over 20 or so years. I have been with the theater since the early 90s and we have grown in many ways. I hope you give us another chance now and once we've moved to Westheimer.

Edited by MarkLTD
  • Like 3

I think I saw the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe at the AD Players in the 1990s one time. I am actually pretty surprised they get something like this, it seemed "community theater" back then, not bad just small.

It was gifted to them by Bob McNair. Equivalents in DC would be the church-related theater companies (Aldersgate, St. Mark's) but on a much more ambitious scale.

Are they only doing theist shows?

No.  In the early days of the company all of the plays were of a religious nature and many of them were direct re-telling of bible stories.  As the company has grown and expanded our programming over the past almost 50 years, we now do a wide variety of productions.  We have recently announced our new season, which will begin in September.  We are still Christian artists producing theater, but not every show we do is a biblical or religious based show.

Check out our new season and other information about us at http://adplayers.org

Thanks

Mark Lewis

Production Manager/Resident Designer

A.D. Players

• Like 3

When is it due to open?

We hope to move in next October and our first production should be in November/December 2016.

• Like 1