The Building Where Kelly's Restaurant Is Now On Park Place At The Gulf Freeway

I remember going to the grocery store there in the early 80s with my parents (Not sure why we did that a few times because we lived off Belfort and Mykawa). I don't remember it being a Weingarten's though.

• 2 years later...

If you're talking about the west side of the Park Place-Broadway roundabout at the Gulf Fwy, I can remember when Big Humphrey Pizza had a store there. Big Humphrey Pizza is now located in Pearland. 

No, I am talking about the east side of the building, the Gulf Freeway side. When I posted yesterday I was almost sure the beauty salon was to the rear side of that building, but the more I thought about it I have decided it was in the building directly behind the old pharmacy building. I used to have my hair done there in the late sixties or early seventies. About the only thing I do remember for sure was the girl that did my hair was named Gail. When I pulled up the street view on Google maps it looked so different, for one it was not a red building back then and also it looked a lot nicer and more professional. The one thing that is still the same it is trim around and above the door to the Curls for Girls beauty salon. I also don't think that it had the canopy extended out from the building like it does now.

post-11998-0-95254000-1419439393_thumb.j

Is the pavement in the foreground part of the Gulf Fwy southbound feeder approaching Broadway/Park Place?  If it is, I am almost a hundred percent certain that this strip center was also the home of Big Humphrey Pizza. 

Big Humphrey - former pro wrestler Joe Vitale - opened his pizza joint there in 1948 before the freeway even came out that far. It was popular and did a good business till the family closed it in 1986 so they could move to Pearland, where it is today with a reputation for good Italian food.  

Joe Vitale was an interesting guy with an interesting story of where his professional name "Big Humphrey" came from. Ever read the Joe Palooka comic strip?   

http://www.houstonpress.com/2000-07-27/restaurants/truck-stop-italian/

Edited by FilioScotia

Indeed it is the southbound Gulf Freeway feeder road, however I do not think it was the former location of Big Humphrey's pizza eatery. I read the link that you had attached and it said he was located on Park Place. The location of the beauty salon in the picture I posted is and always has been a Gulf Freeway address.

Just one more sign that my memory is fading fast. I'm willing to admit defeat on this one. 

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. Mine is going fast too. I had at first thought the Curls for Girls salon was on the side of the pharmacy building, but after looking at it a bit and I started to wonder and checked the 1970 city directory and found why I was having those doubts. 

Are you sure?  It looks to me like the door on the far right is another entrance to the same business that uses the door on the left, the one marked 7659.  

The distance between the two doors is only three parking spaces. If there were separate businesses behind each of those doors, they were pretty darn small.

If that was the case, it would indicate that Big Humphrey's was take-out only at that location. No dining-in. Like Domino's. 

Edited by FilioScotia

Things change over the years. The building my be configured differently now than it once was. I tried three or four different street locations trying to read the number over the door and at one location it said 7661. That does not mean that it was always that way and you could be entirely correct about the original location now being a vacant lot. It is hard to say with so much change over the years.

In the '50s & early '60s, Big Humphreys was between Gulf Freeway. & Reveille, on Park Place Boulevard. The 7661 address sounds about right. I remember him selling hamburgers, not so much pizza.

Maybe nobody is old enough to remember, but also in '50s & '60s, Langs Pharmacy was on Broadway, at Kingsley. Looks like most of the building is gone, now.

Actually the building is still there. I am including a screen shot from Google for you. Please note the address 7657, the next doors is 7659 and the next the taqueria is 7661.

Found this info on HCAD:  7661 Park Place.pdf

Looks like the 7661 address is for three lots.  No 7657 or 7659 there now on this map.

Other info says this address is a strip shopping center, originally built in 1950 and remodeled in 2013

• The title was changed to The Building Where Kelly's Restaurant Is Now On Park Place At The Gulf Freeway