Sign in to follow this  
glzuma

Agora Ballroom

The Agora was an interesting little music venue located in the Windsor Plaza shopping center back in the late 70s/early 80s. It just felt very strange going to a retail strip center for a concert. The layout and seating was unconventional, too.

That said, one of my most favorite concert experiences took place there in 1980. We saw Emmylou Harris and her Hot Band when she was at the early peak of her popularity. She always had exceptional musicians in her band and this was at the time when her voice could melt you down with it's purity. It was a beautiful evening.

Please share your favorite Agora moment.

Edited by glzuma

Didn't the Agora used to be the Palace, or was it the other way around?

My not-so-favorite Agora moment was not getting to see Iggy Pop there in 1980. I was 16, and couldn't pass for 18 to get in.

$(KGrHqEOKisE5,Vu2LvNBOYpJWB3GQ~~60_3.JPG

• Like 1

!!! wow, the same thing happened to me and my girlfriend, except we were 15. You have the ticket!!!

We had successfully gotten into Cardi's a few times and were SO pissed about not being able to slide in for this show.

Not my ticket, sadly, just a photo I stumbled across while trying to confirm the year of the show.

And yeah, I'm still pissed about it - I was (and still am) a huge fan, and have never again had the chance to see Iggy live since then. He just turned 65 last week, and I'm determined to catch him while we're both still ambulatory.

I thought it was the best concert venue ever in Houston. Two long bars on each side, a dance/standing room area in front and a raised area behind with tables. Saw the Ramones, Go Go's, Iggy, Sir Douglas Quintet, Joe King Carrasco, 999, Judys, Talking Heads, B-52's, Romantics,Steve Forbert, Joan Jett, Pat Benatar, Rockpile, and a bunch of others. Loved it and was sorry to see it go.

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear that people still remember the Agora Ballroom, as my Dad (Jack Klein), who passed away on March 10, 2013, was co-owner of the Agora and it's predessesor (The Palace). Bands that played there included The Police, Talking Heads, B-52s, Go-Gos, Iggy Pop, The Ramones, Judys, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, Stevie Ray-Vaughn, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Todd Rundgren, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Herbie Hancock, Spyro-Gyra, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Joe Cocker, and Harry Chapin.

Boy, the stories I could tell...

• Like 2

I was a bartender @ both the Palace then the Agora Ballroom when it changed hands.Also worked occasionally @ Cheetahs next door :) Wish I had all my pictures from those days but they were lost in a fire. 

On 3/13/2013 at 2:14 PM, jklein1 said:

I'm glad to hear that people still remember the Agora Ballroom, as my Dad (Jack Klein), who passed away on March 10, 2013, was co-owner of the Agora and it's predessesor (The Palace). Bands that played there included The Police, Talking Heads, B-52s, Go-Gos, Iggy Pop, The Ramones, Judys, Pat Benatar, Joan Jett, AC/DC, REO Speedwagon, Stevie Ray-Vaughn, Fabulous Thunderbirds, Todd Rundgren, Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Herbie Hancock, Spyro-Gyra, Willie Nelson, Jerry Jeff Walker, Joe Cocker, and Harry Chapin.

Boy, the stories I could tell...

Also Polyrock, The Fabulous Poodles, Jerry Jeff Walker, Psychedelic Furs, John Cale and Black Flag played at The Palace/ Faces/ Agora Ballroom.