Bethel Baptist Church At 801 Andrews St.

torvald

• 1 month later...

About a month ago I saw a gathering of news crews and people at the Bethel Baptist Church at Andrews and Crosby. I spoke to a representative from the Mayors office who mentioned that the City had entered into an agreement to purchase the property and turn it into a public plaza. The plan was to study if the facade of the building could be preserved...ala Coventry Cathedral.

It appears that work has begun on bracing the facade and cleaning up the property as of last weekend. Andrews Street has been closed at the church and crews are there.

post-6292-1242830709_thumb.jpg

Edited by jpedders

• 2 weeks later...

No need to quibble about whether or not its Midtown. Is the Wet Spot in Midtown? I would say yes. Midtown probably ends about Cleveland street, so that's only about 2 blocks short of this project. More people know where Midtown roughly is than Freedman's Town, so I'd say its forgivable.

No need to quibble about whether or not its Midtown. Is the Wet Spot in Midtown? I would say yes. Midtown probably ends about Cleveland street, so that's only about 2 blocks short of this project. More people know where Midtown roughly is than Freedman's Town, so I'd say its forgivable.

What Freedmen's town? You mean Freedmen's townhomes

I'll tell you what really gets me... the boundaries of Midtown vs. Neartown. Where the heck is Neartown anyway??? It appears to be a part of Montrose.

My only concern for this park is what kind of security is going to be there? This is a highly transitional area where there are still (unfortunately) a lot of shady characters, and there have already been a slew of arrests at or near that church. A park doesn't seem to alleviate this problem.

The neighborhood around the church is all new townhomes, Edge condos and Post Midtown. Not bad at night but gets worse to the west a few blocks. I walk around there all the time at night but usually within confines of the new apartments so it's well lit.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
4142153826_b6cbaf13ba.jpg
Bethel Baptist Church , originally uploaded by Secret5468.
Secret shows us what little is left of Bethel Baptist Church.

I took a few pictures back when the walls were still standing: http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/Building/2057/Bethel_Baptist_Church.php

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

one of the guys at the site said the new park will be ready in March or April but that seems really far out

Considering how long and how much money it's taken the city to get this far, March or April would be really quick.

Interested to see what they do with this relic, should've been leveled years ago . . .