Amazing Spaces Self Storage At 3120 Southwest Fwy.

Looking for a bit of history on the Chase bank in the Greenway area off of US 59 and Buffalo Speedway.

It has the gold dome and I remember back when the Rockets were winning championships they covered the dome with a Basketball tarp.

Anyway, I am looking for the origins of this building just for my own curious reasons.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

Was that always a chase? looks like an old WaMu or Wachovia or some other late 1990s bank that ate it during the recession.

That's an interesting location. Being on the feeder road its kind of a crappy spot to put a residential infill building. Seems like a good spot for a two level strip mall full of restaurants or something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zaphod said:

Was that always a chase? looks like an old WaMu or Wachovia or some other late 1990s bank that ate it during the recession.

That's an interesting location. Being on the feeder road its kind of a crappy spot to put a residential infill building. Seems like a good spot for a two level strip mall full of restaurants or something.

Looks like it was a Bank United. At least that's who has owned the property since 1995, before the building was built in 1996

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ross said:

Looks like it was a Bank United. At least that's who has owned the property since 1995, before the building was built in 1996

I could've sworn that building predated 1996. Wasn't that the Bank United branch that had its dome wrapped to look like a basketball when the Rockets won one or both of their NBA titles in 1994 and 1995? 

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, mkultra25 said:

I could've sworn that building predated 1996. Wasn't that the Bank United branch that had its dome wrapped to look like a basketball when the Rockets won one or both of their NBA titles in 1994 and 1995? 

I remember that as well - and I think at least once when they made a run for the playoffs in the 2000s or early 2010s. 

And confirmed...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2000/12/18/newscolumn2.html

One expected casualty: Bank United's corporate headquarters in the Phoenix Tower. A source says the Greenway Plaza-area hub is set to be closed because it sits within a block of a more visible Bank United location -- the Southwest Freeway branch with the familiar gold dome.

"The gold dome branch has a certain cachet about it," the source explains.

During the championship days of the Houston Rockets in the mid-1990s, Bank United covered the dome with a gargantuan basketball.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to 3120-A Southwest Fwy - Former Bank Building For Sale
  • 4 months later...
  • The title was changed to Amazing Spaces Self Storage: 10-Story Storage for Greenway Plaza
3 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

Ugh!  I’m shocked at the number of self storage places in this city.   

For real, for a city where many homeowners have a typical suburban style home, you would think all the junk would fit in the garage or in the closets or something. 

I hope they keep that little gold top hat thing.

• Like 3

On 9/30/2020 at 6:02 PM, X.R. said:

For real, for a city where many homeowners have a typical suburban style home, you would think all the junk would fit in the garage or in the closets or something. 

I hope they keep that little gold top hat thing.

Unless they add one as a tribute to the old building there will not be one since the building is completely gone at this point. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back in 1987, the bank was United Savings of Texas. I worked at the bank from 1982 to 1983 (in Clear Lake), then at the Gold Dome building off of 59 and Buffalo Speedway.  I recently was in Houston in October for a music gig. I looked for it and I realized it was demolished. Sad to see that it is gone. I have great memories from that time in my life.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/21/2020 at 5:49 PM, ChannelTwoNews said:

This made me think if I had a photo of what you were talking about - and I did! I scanned in a page from a book called "Houston" by Robin Dewhurst - circa 1979. It's at the bottom of a two page photo of that particular stretch of the Southwest Freeway

E3ipttQ.jpg

AAA was in that office building, until they picked up and moved to Dallas...

Edited by toxtethogrady
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Amazing Spaces Self Storage: 10-Story Storage For Greenway Plaza
  • 7 months later...
On 8/25/2021 at 9:07 PM, Highrise Tower said:

Looks like they're some motion on this! This would be Houston's tallest self storage?

The year is 2071. Houston has just seen completion of it's third 300+ meter supertall. All are self storage facilities with another half dozen on the books ready to start construction. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...