Sign in to follow this  
djrage

Remember Kennedy & Cohen Appliances?

Only very, very, vaguely. Wasn't it an appliance store? Waaaay back in my memory I seem to remember a snippet of a jingle: "you should be goin' to Kennedy & Cohen. Kennedy & Cohen."

I recognize the sign but could it have been on the South Loop near Levit's and Crossroads furniture

Yes it was an appliance store! I (with my mom and dad) browsed through there a few times during the mid 70s at the Mykawa & South Loop location.

Holy crap where did you get these photos? How long ago were they taken? They look fairly recent

Oh, boy do I remember it! Kennedy and Cohen was around in the early 1970's and they weren't around very long. When ole Marvin Zindler first got on Channel 13, they were often a target of his reports for various disreputable business practices. Seems like he did stories on them once a week! I believe they vansihed from the scene no later than 1975.

I'm pretty sure that there was also one on the Katy Freeway, just west of the beltway. It wasn't there long and is now the Market Place flea market. We used to go there (flea market) on Sundays in the 70s when all the other stores were closed.

I think my parents went into Kennedy & Cohen once to look at TVs. They had to sit in a waiting room until a salesperson could come and take them around the store. I think they left because the waiting room was full and they didn't want to wait.

Edited by Alpha

Yes it was an appliance store! I (with my mom and dad) browsed through there a few times during the mid 70s at the Mykawa & South Loop location.

Holy crap where did you get these photos? How long ago were they taken? They look fairly recent

Googled "Kennedy and Cohen" and they evidently are from a store in Atlanta

I remeber they just closed up like overnight and if you had something there for repair Marvin Zindler had to get involved. I think they sent everything in the repair department to their home office in Florida? but it got fixed and sent back. I can only remember there was one on the South Loop near Crossroads and Mangurians

Proczach, there were several. One was located in a strip shopping center at Fulton and Crosstimbers behind the Jack In The Box and across from Northline Mall.

I remeber they just closed up like overnight and if you had something there for repair Marvin Zindler had to get involved. I think they sent everything in the repair department to their home office in Florida? but it got fixed and sent back. I can only remember there was one on the South Loop near Crossroads and Mangurians

They filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and were liquidated under the supervision of a bankruptcy trustee. An uncle of mine was a TV repairman at the South Loop location, he was unable to get any of his testing and repair tools and equipment back, and AFAIK no customers with pending repairs got their TVs or other appliances back.