Kennedy & Cohen Appliance Store

Ashikaga

I now remember an appliance store called Kennedy & Cohen.  Is it still there?

nope..LONG GONE...but I have a memory of going there with my parents to get some big appliance.

it was off the south loop somewhere on the south side of the freeway i think.

I can remember being impressed with the large expanse of stoves and washers etc. as an 8 year old.

nope..LONG GONE...but I have a memory of  going there with my parents to get some big appliance.

I can remember being impressed with the large expanse of stoves and washers etc. as an 8 year old.

Over here, today's equivalent appliance dealer is Conn's. I think that there are some of those stores in Houston.

• 5 months later...
nope..LONG GONE...but I have a memory of going there with my parents to get some big appliance.

Yes, Conn's is quite popular as an applicance store. But I think that Best Buy might compete. In every Sunday newspaper they advertise washers & dryers and other appliances at good prices, not just electronics and computers.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
Over here, today's equivalent appliance dealer is Conn's. I think that there are some of those stores in Houston.

Conns is a Beaumont based company. They have been very successful here. We should try to support them over the Best Buy's and Fry's of the world. Proven Products is still doing business also.

I bought a couch from them (K&C). In fact, it was the very first new piece of furniture I ever acquired. It was pretty cheap, costwise. And the old adage proved true that you get what you pay for - it wasn't long before it fell apart.

I bought a couch from them (K&C). In fact, it was the very first new piece of furniture I ever acquired. It was pretty cheap, costwise. And the old adage proved true that you get what you pay for - it wasn't long before it fell apart.

I remember Kennedy & Cohen's catchy jingle on the radio. What was the piece of furniture? I thought that K&C was an appliance store, not furniture. Yes, most but not all of the time you do indeed get what you pay for. I've learned what items to buy at Dollar General and what to get at Wal-Mart.

The location I went to was on the South Loop around Mykawa. All I recall them having was furniture. I didn't know they had appliances. But I wasn't in the market for appliances, so maybe that's why I didn't notice.

My couch was a brown fake fur. In a way it was kinda neat 'cause it felt good to - uh, "cuddle" on with a lady. It just didn't hold up. And it wasn't so easy to clean.

The location I went to was on the South Loop around Mykawa. All I recall them having was furniture. I didn't know they had appliances. But I wasn't in the market for appliances, so maybe that's why I didn't notice.

My couch was a brown fake fur. In a way it was kinda neat 'cause it felt good to - uh, "cuddle" on with a lady. It just didn't hold up. And it wasn't so easy to clean.

Q: What else can you call a love seat?

A: A lunge chair.

Conns is a Beaumont based company. They have been very successful here. We should try to support them over the Best Buy's and Fry's of the world. Proven Products is still doing business also.

There is a Best Buy and a Circuit City here in Beaumont. I've seen once a week in the Houston Chronicle that Fry's Electronics has a full section. They do have a lot of good products at good prices. But only you and the others over there in Houston know for certain. There are some things that I'm planning to order from them in the future. I've never heard of Proven Products. Do they sell similar items?

Q: What else can you call a love seat?

A: A lunge chair.

There is a Best Buy and a Circuit City here in Beaumont. I've seen once a week in the Houston Chronicle that Fry's Electronics has a full section. They do have a lot of good products at good prices. But only you and the others over there in Houston know for certain. There are some things that I'm planning to order from them in the future. I've never heard of Proven Products. Do they sell similar items?

Proven Products, they call themselves "the best kept appliance secret since 1947". Built-ins and custom type stuff mostly, although they've got the real cheapy stuff too if you want it. Independent home builders, and repairmen use the place alot. It's on Almeda-Genoa Rd.

• 5 years later...

Yes it was an appliance store! I (with my mom and dad) browsed through there a few times during the mid 70s at the Mykawa & South Loop location.

Holy crap where did you get these photos? How long ago were they taken? They look fairly recent

Oh, boy do I remember it! Kennedy and Cohen was around in the early 1970's and they weren't around very long. When ole Marvin Zindler first got on Channel 13, they were often a target of his reports for various disreputable business practices. Seems like he did stories on them once a week! I believe they vansihed from the scene no later than 1975.

I'm pretty sure that there was also one on the Katy Freeway, just west of the beltway. It wasn't there long and is now the Market Place flea market. We used to go there (flea market) on Sundays in the 70s when all the other stores were closed.

I think my parents went into Kennedy & Cohen once to look at TVs. They had to sit in a waiting room until a salesperson could come and take them around the store. I think they left because the waiting room was full and they didn't want to wait.

Yes it was an appliance store! I (with my mom and dad) browsed through there a few times during the mid 70s at the Mykawa & South Loop location.

Holy crap where did you get these photos? How long ago were they taken? They look fairly recent

Googled "Kennedy and Cohen" and they evidently are from a store in Atlanta

• 3 months later...

I remeber they just closed up like overnight and if you had something there for repair Marvin Zindler had to get involved. I think they sent everything in the repair department to their home office in Florida? but it got fixed and sent back. I can only remember there was one on the South Loop near Crossroads and Mangurians

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I remeber they just closed up like overnight and if you had something there for repair Marvin Zindler had to get involved. I think they sent everything in the repair department to their home office in Florida? but it got fixed and sent back. I can only remember there was one on the South Loop near Crossroads and Mangurians

They filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and were liquidated under the supervision of a bankruptcy trustee. An uncle of mine was a TV repairman at the South Loop location, he was unable to get any of his testing and repair tools and equipment back, and AFAIK no customers with pending repairs got their TVs or other appliances back.

• The title was changed to Kennedy & Cohen Appliance Store

Archived