US 290/Hempstead Toll Road Expansion

editor

Public hearing about 290 tonight and Wednesday:

-------------------

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) will conduct public meetings to discuss a proposed interim design phase project for approved transportation improvements for the US 290 corridor in Harris County. This interim design would incorporate a reversible managed lane (toll) facility along the US 290 corridor from SH 99 to IH 610.

The meetings will be held on:

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sheraton Brookhollow

3000 North Loop West

Houston, Texas 77092

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Berry Center

8877 Barker Cypress Road

Cypress, Texas 77433

Both meetings will be held in an open house format from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., with a formal presentation at 7:00 p.m. Representatives from TxDOT staff will be on hand to answer questions during the Open House, and display boards will be available for viewing showing the proposed managed lane facility as well as detailed proposed schematics. During the 7:00 p.m., presentation, slides will be shown detailing the proposed improvements along with an animated video with improvements of the IH 610/US 290 interchange and US 290/BW 8 interchange.

In the 2011 Texas Legislature, lawmakers forged the way to provide TxDOT with the tools and flexibility to leverage resources under Rider 42, which focuses on the state's most congested roadways. With Rider 42 and voter-approved Proposition 12 and Proposition 14 bond proceeds, TxDOT is now positioned to move forward. TxDOT and the Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) are working to finalize an agreement committing the needed funding allocated by the Legislature - $1.4 billion from TxDOT and $400 million from HCTRA for a total project cost of $1.8 billion.

In collaboration with HCTRA, TxDOT's team of innovative engineers and planners discovered an interim solution to the ultimate plan that we could deliver up to 20 years ahead of schedule using the same footprint defined and approved during environmental review. Plans for US 290 mainlane reconstruction now incorporate managed lanes, a flexible concept combining HOV lanes and tolled lanes to provide drivers with options, similar to the Katy Freeway Managed Lanes on IH 10. Motorists would drive on four general-purpose lanes in each direction, with two or three reversible managed lanes.

"As a result of this additional funding and partnership, we not only are able to get relief to motorists sooner, but we are also bringing to Texans a huge savings both in the reduction of construction costs and by mitigating significant user time delays related to wasted time and fuel," said Michael W. Alford, P.E., TxDOT Houston District Engineer.

Written comments relative to the proposed project may be presented at the meeting or submitted to the Director of Project Development, Texas Department of Transportation, P.O. Box 1386, Houston, Texas, 77251-1386, on or before January 2, 2013. Comments may also be emailed to Hou-PIOWebMail@txdot.gov. For more information on the public meetings contact Karen Othon, US 290 Public Information Officer, at (713) 354-1532.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

is it double deck, or just multi-level?

when I think double deck, I think lanes directly over the top of the other lanes, on the gulf freeway upper section that allows for ingress/egress from downtown it's offset from the main through lanes.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  I-35 through part of Austin is double-decked.  I-45 south of downtown Houston is not.

Actually, the Gulf Freeway south of downtown to Calhoun is a double deck freeway. It opened in 1988.

I only consider that a multi-level section of 45 (btw, take that stretch of 45 everyday to go to UofH from the Heights). If you watch that animation at 610 and 290, although it is in fact multi-level, it also has a double decker section with those manage lanes being built immediately above the main highway.

Will this fix the west loop "meatgrinder"?

the only thing that would alleviate the West Loop problem is another N/S freeway connector to 59 between the Beltway and Shepherd. This widening will just pour more volume into the unexpandable West Loop. The W Loop can't be decked b/c of environmental (mostly noise) concerns, and it can't be widened b/c of Memorial Park on both sides of the freeway.

If worse comes to worse, I predict they'll build a second level of the West Loop trenched/underground, similar to what's being done to 635 in Dallas.

the only thing that would alleviate the West Loop problem is another N/S freeway connector to 59 between the Beltway and Shepherd. This widening will just pour more volume into the unexpandable West Loop. The W Loop can't be decked b/c of environmental (mostly noise) concerns, and it can't be widened b/c of Memorial Park on both sides of the freeway.

yeah, a Galleria bypass on 610, from before 290 to after 59 (or before 59 to after 290, if you're going the other direction)? maybe have entrances/exits to freeways, but no local exits/entries? that would be really tall around the various freeway interchanges.

The West Loop between IH 10 and US 59 is a chronic problem that will never get better and most likely become worse.

In my view, the only way we'll see improvements to the West Loop is if the Uptown Houston Association demands improvements and is willing to pay for a large share of the cost. I think the only financially feasible alternative will be elevated lanes. There is definitely a visual impact, so traffic will need to become worse before Uptown Houston will accept elevated lanes. But it may come to that eventually.

In the short term, Uptown Houston is pushing a busway on Post Oak and a section of the West Loop. The link below says $76.5 million of the $121.5 million cost will be local - it isn't clear to me how much is provided by Uptown Houston, but I think most of the $76.5 million is Uptown money.

http://www.ridemetro.org/AboutUs/Board/working_meetings/2012/082312/Uptown-POB-Transit-to-METRO-Committee082312.pdf

The Post Oak busway ranks very high with HGAC, so I'm expecting it to happen. New connectors at the Loop and US 59 also rank high and will likely be built fairly soon.

http://www.h-gac.com/taq/commitees/TPC/2013/02-feb/docs/ITEM%2008%20--%202013-2016%20TIP%20Call%20for%20Projects.pdf

That busway will have a negligible impact on West Loop traffic. Once it is done, the Uptown Houston Association may turn its attention back to roadway improvements. So, I think it will be at least several years before there is serious consideration of any improvements to the West Loop. I hope consideration will come sooner, but for now the political effort is going into the busway.

I was aware a huge portion of Northwest Mall's parking lot was ripped up for the redoing of the 290/I-10 interchange (which, if I understand correctly, will give direct access to I-10 from 290), but wow, the damage from Google Earth is extensive. I'm surprised they didn't knock down the old Foley's/Macy's building in the process.

The West Loop between IH 10 and US 59 is a chronic problem that will never get better and most likely become worse.

In my view, the only way we'll see improvements to the West Loop is if the Uptown Houston Association demands improvements and is willing to pay for a large share of the cost. I think the only financially feasible alternative will be elevated lanes. There is definitely a visual impact, so traffic will need to become worse before Uptown Houston will accept elevated lanes. But it may come to that eventually.

In the short term, Uptown Houston is pushing a busway on Post Oak and a section of the West Loop. The link below says $76.5 million of the $121.5 million cost will be local - it isn't clear to me how much is provided by Uptown Houston, but I think most of the $76.5 million is Uptown money.

http://www.ridemetro.org/AboutUs/Board/working_meetings/2012/082312/Uptown-POB-Transit-to-METRO-Committee082312.pdf

The Post Oak busway ranks very high with HGAC, so I'm expecting it to happen. New connectors at the Loop and US 59 also rank high and will likely be built fairly soon.

http://www.h-gac.com/taq/commitees/TPC/2013/02-feb/docs/ITEM%2008%20--%202013-2016%20TIP%20Call%20for%20Projects.pdf

That busway will have a negligible impact on West Loop traffic. Once it is done, the Uptown Houston Association may turn its attention back to roadway improvements. So, I think it will be at least several years before there is serious consideration of any improvements to the West Loop. I hope consideration will come sooner, but for now the political effort is going into the busway.

This.

The BRT or LRT is a toy compared to what is needed. It's not that BRT or LRT are necessarily bad or a even bad investment, it's just that the problem is 100 times bigger. Here are examples that I deal with often (but thankfully not daily) that will not be at all improved by the BRT/LRT:

-dead stop at 59 WB to 610 NB at 1pm pretty much every time I'm there

-2-3 light-cycle backup on 59 WB feeder to NB 610 feeder just south of Richmond pretty much every time I'm there

-sometimes going 20-30 mph at 10 am on a weekend

And here's what will be worsened with BRT: traffic at Westheimer @ Post Oak.

I love the Arboretum in Memorial Park (loved it more before the drought Summer 2011), but I would gladly give up a 100 foot strip there if it meant getting a soundwall for the park and having the West Loop actually being a useable freeway again.

You're correct, brt/lrt won't help as much. But just think, there is no other option for the people on those freeways. Heavy rail is what can really help and if the Feds want to spend money on infrastructure, then heavy rail should be one option for cities that can support it, which Houston is one of.

Instead of HPD or the HC Sheriff making a killing on the Katy tollway, imagine a heavy rail line down it. It would be packed with the way that freeway and feeders are now. Driving habits are another issue with traffic, too. People don't pass the cars to their right then yeild, but instead side by side drive, causing build ups miles behind them. No amount of expansion is going to alleviate the traffic problem in Houston.

But the West Loop has its own traffic schedule its so bad. If its overnight hours, then you're good. From six am to eight at night, good luck to you. I've been back in Houston for about a month now, and good grief that thing is terrible.

This.

The BRT or LRT is a toy compared to what is needed. It's not that BRT or LRT are necessarily bad or a even bad investment, it's just that the problem is 100 times bigger. Here are examples that I deal with often (but thankfully not daily) that will not be at all improved by the BRT/LRT:

-dead stop at 59 WB to 610 NB at 1pm pretty much every time I'm there

-2-3 light-cycle backup on 59 WB feeder to NB 610 feeder just south of Richmond pretty much every time I'm there

-sometimes going 20-30 mph at 10 am on a weekend

And here's what will be worsened with BRT: traffic at Westheimer @ Post Oak.

I love the Arboretum in Memorial Park (loved it more before the drought Summer 2011), but I would gladly give up a 100 foot strip there if it meant getting a soundwall for the park and having the West Loop actually being a useable freeway again.

Where do you live?

I'd rather you have to sit in traffic on the West Loop than give up ANY part of Memorial Park, especially because we already lost so much due to the drought.

Simply expanding roads is not a solution, especially in a city as dynamic as Houston. We have to have a comprehensive transportation plan.

t I would gladly give up a 100 foot strip there if it meant getting a soundwall for the park and having the West Loop actually being a useable freeway again.

TxDOT proposed doing that in the early 90s, but it was killed because giving up part of Memorial Park was understandably unpopular. I'm not sure what would've stopped TxDOT from taking all the needed ROW for a wider freeway on the non Memorial Park side though.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/will-290-be-the-hot-new-corridor/

Bisnow's article explaining the 290 expansion, as well as planning stages for commuter rail as well as a rail connections to Austin. Pretty cool if one of the suburban markets would even attempt rail so data can be attained on its impact to roadway congestion. 

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/will-290-be-the-hot-new-corridor/

Bisnow's article explaining the 290 expansion, as well as planning stages for commuter rail as well as a rail connections to Austin. Pretty cool if one of the suburban markets would even attempt rail so data can be attained on its impact to roadway congestion. 

I would think you could look at any number of cities that have implemented commuter rail to see what the impact was.  Do any of them have uncongested freeways during rush hour?

I would think you could look at any number of cities that have implemented commuter rail to see what the impact was. Do any of them have uncongested freeways during rush hour?

I would think you could look at any number of cities that have implemented highway expansion to see what the impact was. Do any of them have uncongested freeways during rush hour?

I would think you could look at any number of cities that have implemented highway expansion to see what the impact was. Do any of them have uncongested freeways during rush hour?

The answer is no in both cases, but the highway expansion is more useful as it is far more flexible than a railway expansion.  It being the case that neither method reduces congestion long-term, assuming a growing city, we're faced with either densifiying employment to make it efficient for rail or distributing the employment to make it efficient for cars.  In that regard, the die is already cast in the Houston area.  In fact, the only time you get density naturally is if there are physical or political limitations to the growth of a city.  Such conditions do not exist here nor are they likely to exist in the future.  The genie is alreay out of the bottle on that one.  So, complain as you might, Houston is well on the way to a distributed model and the more we can push it that way the better off future generations of Houstonians will be. 

Archived