Phillips 66 Headquarters In Westchase District

Pleak

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

wow this is really under whelming .. this is your flagship.. and this is the best you came up with something that  look like any other building you could have rented in the EC.. I was hoping they would be more bold try to do for westchase , what williams tower did for uptown...I guess a poster from months ago  was right, the age of bold designs in corp america is over now its about effecnicy as cheap as possible.

Boring. Where's the creativity? Where's the innovative architecture? Oh I forgot, this is Houston.

If you think Houston architecture is boring then,

66124_10151291078967005_1558384620_n.jpg

You can Get out.

But seriously, its a suburban midrise office building. Show me one in the history of the world that is innovative, creative and not boring.

If you think Houston architecture is boring then,

66124_10151291078967005_1558384620_n.jpg

You can Get out.

But seriously, its a suburban midrise office building. Show me one in the history of the world that is innovative, creative and not boring.

technically those are highrises and tenchnically williams, POC, and 4 oaks all fall under suburban office towers... i don't think any of them are boring. you can say the same about BMC's campus right next door to phillips' as well.

wow this is really under whelming .. this is your flagship.. and this is the best you came up with something that  look like any other building you could have rented in the EC.. I was hoping they would be more bold try to do for westchase , what williams tower did for uptown...I guess a poster from months ago  was right, the age of bold designs in corp america is over now its about effecnicy as cheap as possible.

Yea your right, I would expected them to come up with a building 40+. It is under whelming.

technically those are highrises and tenchnically williams, POC, and 4 oaks all fall under suburban office towers... i don't think any of them are boring. you can say the same about BMC's campus right next door to phillips' as well.

You're right. I'm just bitter because it seems like nearly all the new office buildings in Houston are going up in the boonies.

What's wrong with having a creative innovatively designed building in the burbs? Look at Greenspoint and the Woodlands. That's the suburbs and the architecture of those buildings is not boring. Greenspoint high rises have more interesting designs in my opinion.

I think that you guys are missing the prevailing mood in the country. The last thing that a major oil company wants to do is create a "statement building" to call attention to the fact that they are making tons of money. They want to stay under the radar.

What do you think the press coverage would be like if Phillips 66 announced something like what Apple is doing? They'd get absolutely killed.

What's wrong with having a creative innovatively designed building in the burbs?

There is nothing wrong with it per se. It's just that scattered amongst the burbs, I'll seldom get to appreciate them. It's almost as if they are in another city.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

How disgustingly boring. This will get lost in a sea of mediocrity at best. At worst, it will drown and no one will ever find it.

The so-called architects behind this should be tarred and feathered for insulting the talents of other honest, decent, and diligent architects.

I don't spend much thought on buildings past uptown. Energy Corridor, Westchase, Greenspoint, etc could develop perfect rectangles for miles for all I care.

But I get excited by interesting architecture in the loop and uptown.

It may be boring banal beltway boxes but who cares, it's suburbs. We are lucky to get so much development. Be lucky for that.

It's an awesome time to be a Houstonian.

"Oh Jesus, we on fire"

I don't spend much thought on buildings past uptown. Energy Corridor, Westchase, Greenspoint, etc could develop perfect rectangles for miles for all I care.

But I get excited by interesting architecture in the loop and uptown.

It may be boring banal beltway boxes but who cares, it's suburbs. We are lucky to get so much development. Be lucky for that.

It's an awesome time to be a Houstonian.

"Oh Jesus, we on fire"

I like people who use the word banal for some reason.  Maybe it's just because so few people know what it means.

I too do not pay enough attention to new buildings down the Energy Corridor which means I'm usually shocked every time I head to Katy.  Also, the west belt, Memorial City/City Centre is an exciting part of town; I wouldn't dismiss it, certainly.

As far as complaints about the energy companies building campuses outside the city center(s), I think they have to.  They have huge security concerns and as someone who has frequented offices about town, a visitor finding a company campus on a feeder road is much easier than companies in or around the loop.  Companies like Phillips 66 and ExxonMobil have visitors everyday from all over the world.

Ok, so because I don't know all the proper terms and concepts, I may futz this a bit, but what I have understood by reading this post is this; oil companies don't want to tout their epic profits by showcasing a supertower, so they still build needed office space but in a different paradigm. Instead of one 100 storey tower, they, over time build several 20 something towers in a certain space. Also, I think that maybe "those that know" understand that the central core schematic will not work in Houston. We have several BCs and so they are utilizing that construct. Trying to build an iconic tower in DT may become obsolete. I don't know. Any thoughts?

Boring. Where's the creativity? Where's the innovative architecture? Oh I forgot, this is Houston.

As new as I am to this town (7 months - I work in oil and gas and I am from the other hemisphere of this planet) I dread that am starting to feel as if creativity is definitely NOT allowed to enter this city. I kindly request someone to put forth an alternative. Thank you.

As new as I am to this town (7 months - I work in oil and gas and I am from the other hemisphere of this planet) I dread that am starting to feel as if creativity is definitely NOT allowed to enter this city. I kindly request someone to put forth an alternative. Thank you.

Boring, yes.  Financially feasible, most certainly.  Houston learned a difficult lesson in the 1980s, don't build it unless it can make money.  In fact, if it costs to much to make it original, then use plans we bought ten years ago or water it down.

I must disagree about Phillips 66, I do not think it sucks, but it's no Renzo Piano.  (secretly wishing for london's "shard" tower)

Archived