Phillips 66 Headquarters In Westchase District

Pleak

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As new as I am to this town (7 months - I work in oil and gas and I am from the other hemisphere of this planet) I dread that am starting to feel as if creativity is definitely NOT allowed to enter this city. I kindly request someone to put forth an alternative. Thank you.

You can't find architectural creativity in Houston, Texas?  Have you looked?

Which other hemisphere - southern or eastern?

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen.. We have the base of a crane! Sorry, no pictures as my phone died right before I drove past this site (was going to take an updated pic of the samsung tower too, oh well).. Maybe someone else can get a picture update before I drive back that way on Tuesday.

I pass by it everyday coming home from work. Saw lots of activity today. Four cranes would be awesome! Not quite Exxon status but I will take it. Reading all the previous posts, I understand the disappointment. But, I agree that energy corps are going to try to fly under the radar concerning flouting their profit status. That's too bad. Oh for the days when companies were proud enough to create an icon, and consumers were satisfied enough that they could share in that pride. I wouldn't mind that so much if it didn't seem to become the norm here in HTown. I just look at is this way; at least we get infill as a sprawling city. Maybe trends will change and we will get another icon within a decade. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cloud713 Thank You Thank You!! Those pix are great! You did indeed make it seem ExxonMobilesque in scope. LoL.

haha, no problem. glad i could contribute on my drive to Waco. it does indeed seem like a mini-me version of the ExxonMobil site. and to think, at one time ExxonMobil apparently had 16 tower cranes on site. absolutely ridiculous... all these cranes remind me of the old rumor that Dubai had 1/5th the worlds tower cranes back around 2007, before the bubble popped. not sure if it was true or not, but it makes me wonder how many of the cranes in the US are in Houston. probably like 1 in 20, or less, but still interesting to think about.

haha, no problem. glad i could contribute on my drive to Waco. it does indeed seem like a mini-me version of the ExxonMobil site. and to think, at one time ExxonMobil apparently had 16 tower cranes on site. absolutely ridiculous... all these cranes remind me of the old rumor that Dubai had 1/5th the worlds tower cranes back around 2007, before the bubble popped. not sure if it was true or not, but it makes me wonder how many of the cranes in the US are in Houston. probably like 1 in 20, or less, but still interesting to think about.

In a way, I'll be heading in the opposite direction in a few days (through Waco back to the Houston area) and this is one of the spots I'm looking on snapping some shots at.

With regard to the cranes - spotting them became somewhat of a hobby of mine during the last boom. It was part of compiling information for a website I work with, but it was fascinating seeing who the suppliers and manufacturers were and how often they were used. Far and away, the cranes you see around the area (this site, and the ExxonMobil campus included) are supplied by Morrow Equipment, and they are easily visible as most of them are yellow, and are manufactured by Liebherr.

Part of that may be due to the fact that Morrow has a very large facilty on Cullen Blvd near Almeda-Genoa. Check out this page, and scroll to the last number of non-construction photos. That's the local site...

Not sure what the other companies/suppliers have in the area though, but with the industries and overall general demand I'm sure they would be growing as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

haha, yeah yeah. terrible photo. i know. but you can see the metal structure (all those poles) sticking up in the back right. i didnt have time to zoom or focus my phone while driving by. maybe someone can get better shots of what is going on back there.

It appears the structure these towers will be constructed of steel rather than the typical reinforced concrete.  The garages or located closer to BW8 and will be reinforced concrete.  Back in the 80's boom many buildings where constructed with steel and had faster build times. Houston's tallest (JP Morgan Chase) tower comes to mind. 

interesting.. TBH i never realized the garage fronted the beltway (im pretty bummed about that. i thought the towers were getting feeder road frontage), so maybe you are right and its one of the towers already up to the 2nd floor?

I cant remember what it was called when buitl but the Wells fargo building was built out of steel. With its rounded corners it had a very organic look coming out of the ground. I remember the patina of the steel was quite beautiful . I actually did a series of drawing back then of the city of all of those projects going up in the late seventies and it was my favorite.

Archived