Sign in to follow this  
ricco67

Midtown Texaco Demo!

According to Swamplot, its scheduled for demolition.

I'm so totally anxious for this to happen.

Does anyone know what is going to take the place of it?

Tell you what, the moment this thing closes, what metal is on that site might disappear, but not that quickly. They have an easier time bumming money off people.

HCAD still has the old owner listed. How long does it normally take for them to update who the owner? I guess it's possible the same guy is demo'ing it, but I'd kinda be surprised if that was the case.

edit: was he forced to closed down per this article? I wonder if he was and is now clearing the lot to make it a more attractive sale

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/County-attorney-filing-lawsuits-to-curb-crime-3398536.php

Edited by lockmat

I'm always confused by Swamplot's demo reports. I don't think it means they are getting torn down like the site implies (I've asked before what they meant but never heard anything back).

I've seen some construction at Texaco (they recently built a concrete wall) along the back. I'd guess they applied for a permit so they can do construction to comply with the heat being thrown at them. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything big happening (I hope I'm wrong though).

I'm always confused by Swamplot's demo reports. I don't think it means they are getting torn down like the site implies (I've asked before what they meant but never heard anything back).

I've seen some construction at Texaco (they recently built a concrete wall) along the back. I'd guess they applied for a permit so they can do construction to comply with the heat being thrown at them. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything big happening (I hope I'm wrong though).

Where do they get their demo information?

Where do they get their demo information?

That's what I asked, but never found out. I remember there was an empty lot near me on there one time and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was being "torn down".

Edited by brian0123

That's what I asked, but never found out. I remember there was an empty lot near me on there one time and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was being "torn down".

I was thinking it was on the CoH's permit site, but I couldn't find anything there. I'm assuming it's public information, they're just making it more visible.

Apparently this location was an Exxon before it became a Texaco as the "owner/occupant" is listed as Downtown Exxon on the permit.

In a quick search of the Harris County clerk's site, a Mr. (or Ms) Kim has owned lots 1-12 of block 440 in SSBB (SouthSide of Buffalo Bayou) since September of 2008. If the property has been sold to anyone, the County clerk's site has not been updated.

It was an Exxon station in the past. I bought gas there when we lived in Midtown, and had occasion to sic the law on a few overly aggressive denizens of the area - mostly when they got mad at me for not giving them money.

Swamplot simply posts demo permits issued by the City of Houston. Demo is not always total. Partial demos are also permitted. For instance, I had to get a permit to demo my garage...and I made it onto Swamplot! However, building demo with sewer disconnect suggests that the whole thing is coming down.