Texaco Gas Station At 2111 Fannin St.

Charles Z

• 3 weeks later...

Shutting the convenience store down is a start but they really just need to find a new place for the Greyhound Station if they ever want to clean up the area. It's one of the scariest places in the city and nobody wants to go anywhere near there if they can help it. I love going to McDonalds for breakfast every once in a while but I have to deal with people on drugs walking all over the place in front of my car, not caring if they get hit or not. I wouldn't dream of actually setting foot inside. They don't call that location CrackDonald's for nothing.

While moving the Greyhound station somewhere else would help clean up that specific area, it wouldn't fix the problem of crime around the greyhound station where ever it is located. Personally, I think it is good that it is located where it is, and I hope they do not move. As this would give people living in the area a reason to want to see things cleaned up.

Back before midtown was a cool place to be, the station was there, and you never heard about it except for when someone was shot at the mcdonalds. Move it and the crime moves with it, but we just don't hear about it, because it would probably be moved into an area where the people living there don't have as loud of a voice.

Of course, the biggest reason to not move it, is that the location is very central (arguably about as central as you can get) and has access to a lot of different modes of transportation in and around the city for people without cars (which are the primary users of Greyhound).

So, you're arguing to move it, rather than fix the problem so that people who live in midtown can forget the crime that occurs in/around the greyhound station (wherever it is moved to). How about pushing for greyhound to donate some money to the city, specifically for the police dept, with the expectation that more cops hang around the area? Or push Greyhound to hire security? Or push them to at least install security cameras in the area. There's lots of solutions to a problem without saying "I don't like the crime, please move it". which is what you said really came off sounding like. I'm sure that wasn't your meaning though!

• Like 1

The one thing I always think about the Greyhound station is years ago, Conan O'brien was in town for some reason and was at the station about 2 in the morning doing his show. He turned to the camera and said, "I think I'm going to be killed." I think it was the only time I have ever laughed at anything on his show.

If the Greyhound really is the problem, it doesn't seem as though this property owner/operator is to blame. All I know is that most times I've walked or driven by this property, the police seem to be around interrogating someone.

well, I'm running off the assumption that if the greyhound station was moved, the crime in the area would go away. So it's assumed that greyhound maybe isn't causing the problem themselves, the problem revolves around them.

Anyway, to make a dig at McDonalds more than anything else, eating breakfast there is probably just as dangerous to your health as hanging around the greyhound station. ;)

Someone on this forum once suggested beautifying the area with a new landscape plan for the station. I think this is a really good idea. It is a somewhat inexpensive way to change the aesthetics of the area, and if the station does move evenutally, it's not like a ton of money was poured into the upgrade.

I will present this idea to the midtown board. it will not do away with the crime, which is the main issue, but i think it will help create a better ambiance for the area.

Also how do you suggest designing the landscaping?

Having lived in the area for more than a year now I can tell you that the dealers and users will use the planters to hide/ditch drugs. FYI, never stick your hands into a street planter you might get stuck with a needle.

Perhaps a simplistic approach like the bald cypresses along Pierce St. or Louisiana St.?

How exactly is the Texaco gas station any different from any other gas station in Midtown?

They don't shoo vagrants or stop dealers from loitering at the Shell on Travis/Hadley or the Cheveron at Bagby/Hadley.

i was talking about the greyhound station. ya, it won't shoo any vagrants but for now the station is here to stay and it looks hideous. not sure what the options are to fix that.

• 4 weeks later...

According to Swamplot, its scheduled for demolition.

I'm so totally anxious for this to happen.

Does anyone know what is going to take the place of it?

Tell you what, the moment this thing closes, what metal is on that site might disappear, but not that quickly. They have an easier time bumming money off people.

HCAD still has the old owner listed. How long does it normally take for them to update who the owner? I guess it's possible the same guy is demo'ing it, but I'd kinda be surprised if that was the case.

edit: was he forced to closed down per this article? I wonder if he was and is now clearing the lot to make it a more attractive sale

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/County-attorney-filing-lawsuits-to-curb-crime-3398536.php

Edited by lockmat

I'm always confused by Swamplot's demo reports. I don't think it means they are getting torn down like the site implies (I've asked before what they meant but never heard anything back).

I've seen some construction at Texaco (they recently built a concrete wall) along the back. I'd guess they applied for a permit so they can do construction to comply with the heat being thrown at them. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything big happening (I hope I'm wrong though).

I'm always confused by Swamplot's demo reports. I don't think it means they are getting torn down like the site implies (I've asked before what they meant but never heard anything back).

I've seen some construction at Texaco (they recently built a concrete wall) along the back. I'd guess they applied for a permit so they can do construction to comply with the heat being thrown at them. I wouldn't hold my breath on anything big happening (I hope I'm wrong though).

Where do they get their demo information?

Where do they get their demo information?

That's what I asked, but never found out. I remember there was an empty lot near me on there one time and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was being "torn down".

Edited by brian0123

That's what I asked, but never found out. I remember there was an empty lot near me on there one time and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was being "torn down".

I was thinking it was on the CoH's permit site, but I couldn't find anything there. I'm assuming it's public information, they're just making it more visible.

Apparently this location was an Exxon before it became a Texaco as the "owner/occupant" is listed as Downtown Exxon on the permit.

In a quick search of the Harris County clerk's site, a Mr. (or Ms) Kim has owned lots 1-12 of block 440 in SSBB (SouthSide of Buffalo Bayou) since September of 2008. If the property has been sold to anyone, the County clerk's site has not been updated.

It was an Exxon station in the past. I bought gas there when we lived in Midtown, and had occasion to sic the law on a few overly aggressive denizens of the area - mostly when they got mad at me for not giving them money.

Swamplot simply posts demo permits issued by the City of Houston. Demo is not always total. Partial demos are also permitted. For instance, I had to get a permit to demo my garage...and I made it onto Swamplot! However, building demo with sewer disconnect suggests that the whole thing is coming down.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...