Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

There's no GFR?

Correct, no GFR. Camden refused. For years the Midtown Redevelopment Authority and Management District, public officials, and stakeholders urged/begged them to build retail in this project. Camden refused. So, the Redevelopment Authority had to redesign the park so that there was retail right in front of and adjacent to Camden, but in stand-alone buildings separate from Camden. This way they at least appear to be connected. Camden does retail in projects all over the country, except in Houston, their home base. 

• Like 9

Correct, no GFR. Camden refused. For years the Midtown Redevelopment Authority and Management District, public officials, and stakeholders urged/begged them to build retail in this project. Camden refused. So, the Redevelopment Authority had to redesign the park so that there was retail right in front of and adjacent to Camden, but in stand-alone buildings separate from Camden. This way they at least appear to be connected. Camden does retail in projects all over the country, except in Houston, their home base.

Why? Why? Why? Seriously, why? Since I know nothing on the business side of development, I'm genuinely curious what goes into decisions like these. I feel like they look at Houston and what already here and say "ok, we can cut corners in this city" .

Why? Why? Why? Seriously, why? Since I know nothing on the business side of development, I'm genuinely curious what goes into decisions like these. I feel like they look at Houston and what already here and say "ok, we can cut corners in this city" .

It is true that overambitious projects in less-than-urban settings often have trouble leasing their ground floor retail, or have to lease it at a rate that doesn't justify the added construction cost. According to Ric Campo, head of Camden, the company made a decision not to put GFR into its Houston projects at the present time. This was mentioned on here a while ago. It seems the decision was based more on perception of the city as a whole than analysis of a particular site.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...