Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

A little more apartment than park, not that it is a complaint. As of TODAY, being on the other side of lousiana? Would be more "central" but I am glad for the eastern expansion. When all the main st retail and new apartments are built this is perfectly located!

I think the most exciting things in the rendering is the 35 tent "Main Street Tent Market", 35 tents right up to the sidewalk facing Main.

Its not ground floor retail in the apartment building but its SOMETHING to generate foot traffic.

Again, a minus to that is the park is now on the south side of the block instead of directly catty corner to the McGowan rail platform, I thought that was the point. Or who knows, maybe they didnt want the residents to walk that much further to the rail stop.

This is not a huge deal, but do we really need a concert platform at every new park?

Two, I'm not so sure having a play area for kids right next to the street is the best idea. Maybe not such a big deal.

Lastly, this really is almost a mini-Discovery Green. Not necessarily a bad thing but it would be nice if it had more of its own personality

Ok, I'll stop complaining. Overall this is a big win for the fourth ward.

This is not a huge deal, but do we really need a concert platform at every new park?

Two, I'm not so sure having a play area for kids right next to the street is the best idea. Maybe not such a big deal.

Lastly, this really is almost a mini-Discovery Green. Not necessarily a bad thing but it would be nice if it had more of its own personality

Ok, I'll stop complaining. Overall this is a big win for the fourth ward.

That was my first thought, they are trying to replicate the success of disco green.

Which I dont see anything wrong with, I mean look what disco green has done for that part of downtown. If you were making an urban park wouldnt you model it after DG too? Also its not an EXACT copy, and theyre still in the planning phases, fill out the superblock park survey if you haven't already.

Anyhow, I don't wanna seem like I was arguing or correcting you, just my two cents, I know you said it wasnt necessarily a bad thing.

• Like 1

I will say if the mini bayou comes out well then that would be pretty awesome to see. Hopefully it is a vision of what we all have our future big bayous look like.

Dont worry. In about 100 years the warming waters of the Gulf of Mexico will be lapping at these residents' feet.

• 4 weeks later...

Site plan for this is something only a mother could love. Why is the retail separated from the park? To bring the building nearer the rail station so the residents don't have to walk too far and risk getting slightly more exercise in their commute than the typical suburbanite?

Only great idea for this was Crossley's full length park. Short of that it would be better if it were chopped up into normal size blocks and one of those blocks was a park. A park glued to a run-of-the-mill mid rise with no ground floor retail and the other sides of the park already developed is a big wasted opportunity.

I for one am hoping somehow Camden goes under before this thing happens and the land gets sold to Post or someone else with vision and a pair of ballistic architects who will design this right.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

I'm wondering what the rents are as well for Post. There's a lot of land available still in midtown, and it seems like the bars/resturaunts would rather build new than lease at Post...

speculation

I know the post was actually doing so well they raised everyones rent exponentially and just about everyone except for Farrago stayed put. Farrago didnt leave because of bad business, they were doing quite well financially, they just refused to pay the new ridiculous rent.

• 2 weeks later...