brian0123

Camden McGowen Station + New Park (Midtown Superblock)

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

It's far from done, the western portion is barely touched.

I think that is where the restaurant or food truck or whatever they decide to put in there will go.

It has taken forever, but look what was there before.

Crickets............

I love to remind the naysayers about their comments that the rail wouldn't produce any significant developments. 

So it took twenty years. Does anyone have a clue how much money has been spent on developments and how that has affected the tax base.

A drive up Main, from Alabama to as far north as you can go looks incredible and so dense.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, bobruss said:

I think that is where the restaurant or food truck or whatever they decide to put in there will go.

It has taken forever, but look what was there before.

Crickets............

I love to remind the naysayers about their comments that the rail wouldn't produce any significant developments. 

So it took twenty years. Does anyone have a clue how much money has been spent on developments and how that has affected the tax base.

A drive up Main, from Alabama to as far north as you can go looks incredible and so dense.

Tax base is pretty irrelevant, since there's a revenue cap. Much of this would have happened without rail, and we would still have Main as a two way street through the heart of Downtown and Midtown. Besides, density is overrated.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, X.R. said:

Well, it looks like the architect finally has a plan. Think it looks great but the sidewalk seems a bit skinny.

It's skinny but not quite as skinny as it looks from the concrete.  It seems they will be flanking the sidewalk on both sides with brick, so that will probably add a good 8 inches to each side.  Still, it will be narrower than downtown sidewalks, but it will be wider than those installed in residential areas.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2019 at 9:03 AM, Luminare said:

Seeing as its being built and it probably passed review then its neither a tripping hazard nor is it inaccessible to wheelchairs. Case closed.

Apparently the builder didn't think so; it's nice and smooth now.

I thought we had finally made progress with the public realm issue. I guess Ric needs to go back to school. 

But then again he is the one who said they would not be putting any retail in their project. Who designs what 4 or five blocks of apartments in a very urban setting and doesn't leave any space for retail. Don't any of these people think about the future and necessities for urban living. At least Mid Main and Caydon have sense to realize that retail helps sell a project.

• Like 5

As part of the Main Street improvements, they took up all the sidewalks on Main and made them narrower than the original sidewalks. The landscaping looks great, but it does not justify reducing the width of the sidewalks.

• Like 6

Why wouldn’t they have shifted the apartment building all the way up to McGowan, thus allowing for a larger Midtown Park?  Just a thought.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 8:11 PM, MarathonMan said:

Why wouldn’t they have shifted the apartment building all the way up to McGowan, thus allowing for a larger Midtown Park?  Just a thought.

Camden owned the blocks where the apartment building is, and wouldn't swap with the Midtown TIRZ so that the park could be bigger

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cspwal said:

Camden owned the blocks where the apartment building is, and wouldn't swap with the Midtown TIRZ so that the park could be bigger

This is why I don't think its necessarily the "architect" thats been slowing this down. My feeling is that if this portion is being funded by Midtown TIRZ then there are all kinds of hands being put into this one that has slowed this process down. Probably a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen". You wouldn't believe how much a client will want to change things on a whim. This then pushes the Architect to change things which frustrates the GC which then goes down the Subs who then blame the architect because why blame the owner if they are the ones that are funding the whole thing. I'm sure there were a lot of change orders with this one. Not fun.

• Like 4

On 6/17/2019 at 11:03 AM, Luminare said:

My feeling is that if this portion is being funded by Midtown TIRZ then there are all kinds of hands being put into this one that has slowed this process down. Probably a case of "too many cooks in the kitchen".

I agree.  Midtown TIRZ has a good vision, but their project management skills are DISMAL!  The Caroline Street re-do was delayed for years and is now under way but going so slowly that it should be done by 2030.  It’s truly mind-boggling!

• Like 3

Two portable signs have gone up with the message that McGowen will be closed between Main and Travis Streets on 6/29 -6/30 and 7/6 -7/7
Might this be either to complete the small park on the north side of McGowen Station, or to finish the pads and install the buildings for restaurants?

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

The completion of this project is truly laughable.  Caydon, across the street, completed their Drewery Place streetscape in about a week.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

On 6/28/2019 at 8:16 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

AxhhttZ.jpg

This photo makes it looks like there's two supervisors overseeing one employee

• Like 5

8 hours ago, cspwal said:

This photo makes it looks like there's two supervisors overseeing one employee

and a sign protecting his virtue.

• Like 2

Will they still be working on this when 2027 Superbowl rolls into town?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, cspwal said:

Will they still be working on this when 2027 Superbowl rolls into town?

while this will be finished, unfortunately this will not be: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1