Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

On 12/31/2016 at 10:54 AM, Texasota said:

For what? It should be roughly one Midtown-sized block.

15 hours ago, cspwal said:

This seems like a disappointingly small amount of green space :(

He gets it^^^

Was hoping for a reliever park to help discover green stay green.

But this doesn't seem like its the space I imagined.

Not going on aesthetics so don't care about finished or not. 

I'm going on function. Market square is an aesthetic plus for the city even if it is small, but with a lot this size  I was hoping for both an  aesthetic plus and a function plus in terms of having a reliever for DG in a more urban setting than BB/ ET parks. 

I mean you are acting like 1 midtown sized block is an achievement.  Are not all midtown blocks about the size of a midtown block.

But when you get a space that is 2.5 times the size of a midtown block then alot a 1 block section to park space that isn't really extaordinary. I mean a block park can be replicated on any block. But a 1 block plus park is beyond ordinary. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, cspwal said:

This seems like a disappointingly small amount of green space :(

It is essentially an amenity for the apartments, the way the little park/plaza at 600 Travis is an amenity for that building. If it succeeds as an urban place where people gather spontaneously, without being drawn to this or that planned event, I will be very pleasantly surprised.

• Like 3

I agree that the "Superblock" park Is not turning out very super in size.  It will be nice, but I think the project could have been better if they shifted the apartment development all the way north to McGowen.  I don't understand how the open space north of the apartments will be used when the project is complete.  

On a side note, in my opinion Baldwin Park is Midtown's crown jewel green space.  The true Superblock Park of the neighborhood.  Yet, it's all but forgotten by Midtown Management.  Their motto seems to be, "If it's east of Main Street, it doesn't exist."

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, BigFootsSocks said:

Is Camden working on the facade that faces the park because that's where they are in construction, or are they working on just that side so there's not a half-finished building in the background of ESPN's cameras?

The latter.

• Like 2

On 1/5/2017 at 6:33 AM, MarathonMan said:

I agree that the "Superblock" park Is not turning out very super in size.  It will be nice, but I think the project could have been better if they shifted the apartment development all the way north to McGowen.  I don't understand how the open space north of the apartments will be used when the project is complete.  

I walked by this today along McGowen and just realists how huge of a set back the apartment is on that side.  That thing must be 50 ft.

What are they going to do with that space?  You can fit another park on that spot.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, swtsig said:

let's just hope the rain subsides after this week and we get two weeks of relatively dry weather.

Long-range forecasts are hinting at cooler temperatures and below average rainfall for the period starting next week through February 10, but forecasting that far out can be hit and miss.

• Like 3

Fun thing - on Google maps this block still has some "buildings" drawn in, so I used streetview to look, and as recently as April 2014 there was a nice brick building there and a couple of other smaller buildings.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7503175,-95.3648311,3a,75y,13.86h,94.94t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1ssNzXHcRW5Lkgc2aZti4m2A!2e0!5s20140401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

I didn't realize that Camden had been the one to level this block in preparation for the residential towers that are still on hold

• Like 2