Camden McGowen Station & Midtown Park At 2727 Travis St.

Subdude

Perhaps you should brush up on your "walkable neighborhoods" knowledge. Urban planners promote parallel and diagonal parking as a means to make traffic slower and to protect pedestrians. Bagby Street is being rebuilt in exactly this manner.

I've been to plenty of pedestrian streets around the world and they're doing just fine. Istanbul, buenos aires, Panama City, London, Denver, San Francisco, Rome, the list goes on.

I agree with the parking in back, but think Houstonians need "teaser" parking in front, ideally diagonal street parking if the RoW is available.  Think about University Blvd in the Rice Village for something similar. Ed Wulfe talked about this once. If you have the teaser parking in front, people will drive to that store thinking they will get it, and once they're there but it's full, they'll drive around back.  When a place has no parking in front, or just one or two parallel spaces, people just pick a destination/competitor with easier parking.

I agree completely.  Diagonal street parking encourages retail, reduces the need for parking lots, and can help slow down through traffic, thereby improving the attractiveness for foot traffic.  Rice Village is a great example of how it can be done. 

• Like 2

Hmmmm. I was trying to make a joke, did you catch the whole Kevin Bacon/degrees of seperation thing? Maybe you think my attempt at humor sucks?

Over my head, to be honest.  I'm only vaguely aware that Kevin Bacon is a celebrity, and I'm pretty sure that he's an actor, but all I ever can think of when I see his name is bacon.  His name is very distracting from anything of relevance that might involve him.

Over my head, to be honest. I'm only vaguely aware that Kevin Bacon is a celebrity, and I'm pretty sure that he's an actor, but all I ever can think of when I see his name is bacon. His name is very distracting from anything of relevance that might involve him.

Lol, that's hilarious!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Degrees_of_Kevin_Bacon

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

http://www.khou.com/...-144475275.html

Nothing new but here is the latest article...

"That’s precisely what the Midtown Redevelopment Authority and Camden Development Inc. plan for about half of the 3.5 acre site. Also on the drawing board are sites for two restaurants and a residential development, as well as an underground parking garage for about 140 vehicles."

"Construction is expected to begin next spring, Thibodeaux said, and the park should be open in 2014."

Has anyone seen or heard anything about construction?

• 4 weeks later...

Per a recent HBJ aritcle:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2013/05/09/midtown-development-slideshow.html?s=image_gallery

"Superblock in Midtown

Developer: Houston-based Camden Property Trust

Location: The development sits on a six-acre property divided almost evenly between Midtown Development Authority and Houston-based Camden. The Midtown Superblock is bound by Main, Anita, McGowen and Travis streets.

Expected start date: The project's start date has been extended to break ground in mid-2014 rather than next quarter, as previously planned.

The skinny: It will eventually include a seven-story multifamily development with close to 300 units overlooking a park that will include about 8,000 square feet of retail."

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 2

Expected start date: The project's start date has been extended to break ground in mid-2014 rather than next quarter, as previously planned.

The skinny: It will eventually include a seven-story multifamily development with close to 300 units overlooking a park that will include about 8,000 square feet of retail."

I wonder what the reason is for the delay. A whole year?  Good grief!!!

Edited by scarface
  • Like 1

They might be taking a bit of pause to make sure they (and other apartment builders) aren't getting too far ahead of the market.

It's completely opposite the case in the Houston market. I was a little concerned about the apartment boom going on but based upon all of the articles I've read, we're actually in a housing shortage and a worker labor shortage right now. Surprisingly, developers can't keep up with the demand!

To be honest, I dont know why there's a delay but at the moment building residential units is the big money maker.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...