Gulfgate Center At 3111 Woodridge Dr.

Didn't know if anyone was privy to what, if anything, will be added to Gulfgate. There is still the huge empty land between 610 and Donaraki.

Also there appears to be some kind of construction action in the parking lot in front of the Marshalls.

• Like 1

Guest danax
Hopefully it`s not another bank!!!  The rent in Gulfgate is high, so its not filling up real quickly.  SOMEBODY, CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A 24HR FITNESS,  OR ANY OTHER GYM IN GULFGATE.

I think it's about half filled right now. There is a new pad fronting Woodridge across from Lowes. As a local, I'm not holding my breath for anything with any panache. Bank would be a reasonable bet, except that there are 3 across the street already. We could have the makings of the free-checking version of "Restaurant Row"....nothing like driving down Woodridge to hop on the Loop on a Saturday morning with the driveup ATM lines backed up into the streets.

You never know though. We did get a Starbucks. It's really a meat and potatoes "lifestyle center" so possibly, what, another cheap shoe store? Maybe another upscale eatery, like, Popeye's?

I think once the transit center opens and the foot bridge across the Loop gets some traffic we might get some construction on the south side of the lot.

These lifestyle centers offer no real surprises. I was in Meyerland a couple of days ago and see that they're expanding. Target, Pier One, etc, etc. Has anyone seen anything in one of these centers that wasn't a national chain store, except for restaurants?

Hopefully it`s not another bank!!!  The rent in Gulfgate is high, so its not filling up real quickly.  SOMEBODY, CAN WE PLEASE HAVE A 24HR FITNESS,  OR ANY OTHER GYM IN GULFGATE.

I'm with you. But since 24-Hour Fitness just opened a new gyme at Almeda, I doubt they'd invest in another new building so close.

I guess Bally's would be the last hope for a large gym.

I'm with you. But since 24-Hour Fitness just opened a new gyme at Almeda, I doubt they'd invest in another new building so close.

I guess Bally's would be the last hope for a large gym.

Well I heard they were going to put up an HPF storefront and a walmart supercenter. This new thing they are building has too small a footpring to be either... so I dont know yet... I will ask the construction werkers out there to fish for clues.

Well I heard they were going to put up an HPF storefront and a walmart supercenter. This new thing they are building has too small a footpring to be either... so I dont know yet... I will ask the construction werkers out there to fish for clues.

There's a Walmart Supercenter going up near Almeda.

I went by Gulfgate today and the signs around the new construction just say new retail space.

I really hope something useful goes in when they develop the empty land behind HEB.

Well I heard they were going to put up an HPF storefront and a walmart supercenter.

speaking of walmart, we were looking for the phone number of the nearest walmart and put it in yahoo and an address near the old K-mart (south wayside and 45S) popped up! This surprised us so we called another walmart to see if they knew anything and they didn't. Guess it was a fluke, but surprising that an address actually popped up inside the loop.

A movie theatre would be nice; I suspect it would get a lot of business. How about a Barnes & Nobles? Sorry, growing up on this side of town I don't think that will ever happen. It would be nice though. A 24-Hour Fitness would be nice too. The only thing in the area that would give it competition--maybe--is the antiquated YMCA off of Broadway and 610.

Starbucks:

I heard that the Starbucks located across from the Gulfgate Center was opened up as part of Magic Johnson's Urban Renewal Project. I was suprised when I first saw it. The demographic in that area is primarily Hispanic and Hispanics aren't particularly picky about their coffee. That said it's done well from what my Dad has told me.

The Starbucks on Woodridge is part of Magic Johnson's project. I was surprised when it was going in (elated, but surprised). I go there once a week, usually after work, and I'm never alone when I'm in the drive through and there are usually several people sitting outside.

But, Magic Johnson was looking for other locations in the houston area, and that might be one of the locations. He already have one location at Northline.

Well the neighborhood doesn't have a theater so it could use if if they could make room for it. I think the only place on Gulfgate property would be the space behind HEB. Almeda has tons of empty space and the new Walmart Supercenter going in. It's prime for redevelopement. And it needs it or the whole mall is going to close.

Yes, heard that too about Lowe's merged with AMC. But, Lowes do own Magic Johnson's Theaters. The reason why they picked Magic Johnson's name, cause to bring people back into their theaters. Magic Johnson do not own a theater, it's just for publiclicity folks. On the other hand, I'm glad Lowes is merging with AMC. Maybe something good will come out of this.

I've decided to avoid the movies altogether. Just wait two or three months and the DVD will be out. Use Netflix, the new dollar machines, or just buy it.

The main thing I hate is the commercials they show before the previews. If they are going to show the commercials, the movie should be free just like in Network and Cable TV.

There is quite a bit of land to the SE of the Gulfgate Center that would be large enough to house a 12 to 16 screen cinema complex. Not saying it will be a Magic Theaters but that it could house one of that's where they decide to go.

And why isn't there a theater in the Gulfgate area? Closest one, I think, is near Almeda Mall.

There is quite a bit of land to the SE of the Gulfgate Center that would be large enough to house a 12 to 16 screen cinema complex. Not saying it will be a Magic Theaters but that it could house one of that's where they decide to go.

And why isn't there a theater in the Gulfgate area? Closest one, I think, is near Almeda Mall.

You may already know this, but there used to be a theater at Gulfgate, or more precisely, across 610 from the old Gulfgate Mall. The location of the old theater is now the storage place. It was connected to Gulfgate by the pedestrian bridge (is it still standing, by the way?)

My aunt used to take us there when we were kids...Walking over 610 was the coolest thing in the world back then.

The Gulfgate theater was a 4-screener (!) and closed back in 1998. Speaking of Almeda, there used to be 2 movie theaters there when I was a kid...the 2-screen one in the parking lot by Best, and a 5 (?) screen one on the Gulf Freeway side.

I saw the original Star Wars at the Gulfgate theatre.

Anyone remember that funky hotel near buy with the carousel on top?

That places used to trip me out on our regular trips to Joskes, Sakowitz and the Russel Stover Candy shop. I also remember the Service Merchandise and Leopold Price and Rollie.

Yum.

Gulfgate used to rock!

I saw the original Star Wars at the Gulfgate theatre.

Anyone remember that funky hotel near buy with the carousel on top?

That places used to trip me out on our regular trips to Joskes, Sakowitz and the Russel Stover Candy shop.  I also remember the Service Merchandise and Leopold Price and Rollie. 

Yum.

Gulfgate used to rock!

I know but that was a loooong time ago.

Theaters are long gone from Almeda. Almeda has also already lost the Old Navy, Lane Bryant, Just for Feet, and a book store just to start. Going soon I heard is the KB toy store in the mall and the JC Penneys (looking to move to Baybrook is what one of the employees told me). Most of the stores moved to the Fairmont/Beltway area in Pasadena.

And I doubt the future looks bright for the Foleys there since I can't imagine that Macy's is going to put their name on that location. Especially when there's the brand new nice Foley's in Baybrook.