Is Fairfield Organizing Against Affordable Housing Project?

mrfootball

Two new public housing projects slated for Cypress

With the announcement of Barry Kahn's new tax credit insta-slum housing project proposed for Fairfield's front-door, are the residents of Fairfield and surrounding communities organizing?

Fairfield Creek Estates - 27800 block of Hwy 290, E of Fairfield Creek Dr.

Also, residents of Cypress have another one or two projects that have crept up on the radar...in North Cypress...a few doors down from the Pinnacle insta-slum at Huffmeister & 290...a new insta-slum for the 'elderly' is being proposed for Huffmeister & Cypress North Houston.

AT Villages at Cypress - SE of Huffmeister & Cypress North Houston Rd.

If you oppose these types of community-destroying projects, it's time to get organized quickly!

FYI - there are dozens more of these types of projects proposed each and every year throughout Texas and the Houston area. I suggest you check the link above to find out what's being proposed in your area. Please refer to the following site for more info about these projects:

http://www.tdhca.sta...ultifamily/htc/

If you wish to organize and oppose these projects here are some effective tools.

1) The Harris County Multifamily Housing Concentration Policy

a) No new "General Population" tax credit projects approved within 3-mile radius of another project that's less than 90% occupied.

b No new "Elderly" tax credit projects approved within 5-mile radius of another project that's less than 90% occupied. (i.e. Greenhouse Village)

c) Link to view and download policy: http://www.hctx.net/...licy_031011.pdf

d) Link to search engine to check occupancy levels: http://hrc-ic.tdhca....SearchResults.m

(Note: the occupancy search engine is buggy and you may have to do a search on 'houston' to find projects in your area)

2) Protest Dates and Deadlines

a) Refer to the following document: http://www.tdhca.sta...ingSchedule.pdf

3) Organize and spread the word to your friends and neighbors. Call your Homeowner's Association, Congressman, County Officials, School Officials

Time is short, don't delay.

Why are you concerned about seniors housing tax credit projects? That seems like the most useless thing to protest ever in the history of NIMBYism. The elderly pose no burden to your local school districts (although the school districts get to tax the housing and commercial service providers to the elderly). The elderly do not compete for your jobs. The care of elderly persons creates substantial employment opportunity, especially in health care and financial services. Where's the downside?

And yes, you and I both disagree with the program in principle. But there's nothing we can do about the fact that it exists. The tax credits will be allocated. So if housing for the elderly is good to have around, and they're going to be somewhere, why not in your backyard?

Why are you concerned about seniors housing tax credit projects? That seems like the most useless thing to protest ever in the history of NIMBYism. The elderly pose no burden to your local school districts (although the school districts get to tax the housing and commercial service providers to the elderly). The elderly do not compete for your jobs. The care of elderly persons creates substantial employment opportunity, especially in health care and financial services. Where's the downside?

And yes, you and I both disagree with the program in principle. But there's nothing we can do about the fact that it exists. The tax credits will be allocated. So if housing for the elderly is good to have around, and they're going to be somewhere, why not in your backyard?

I don't disagree with you very often but have to on this one. More often than not "Granny" and her affordable housing credit becomes the lodging of choice for a generation or three of offspring. I have seen and experienced it fist hand.

I don't disagree with you very often but have to on this one. More often than not "Granny" and her affordable housing credit becomes the lodging of choice for a generation or three of offspring. I have seen and experienced it fist hand.

I censused one of these (which was predominantly black, if that makes a difference) back in 2010. There were a handful of units with children or grandchildren that had lived there on Census Day, and usually there was a story accompanying the decidedly temporary circumstance (e.g. a house fire). Most were legitimately occupied by old folks, primarily living alone.

I'm not saying that there aren't people or particular apartment management companies that act in bad faith. The world is full of nincompoops. To the extent that there are, then you should report them to HUD and the TDHCA.

• The title was changed to Is Fairfield Organizing Against Affordable Housing Project?

Archived