Robert M. Beren Academy At 11333 Cliffwood Dr.

The Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools has received a temporary restraining order that will allow Beren Academy to participate in the boys 2A state semifinals.

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/Beren-Academy-allowed-to-play-state-semifinal-3374028.php

My question is, who issued the TRO? A judge is the only one who can do that, right (Annise behind it?)? Does any law back this TRO up?

It's a little sad it even had to come to the threat of a lawsuit but I'm glad that they will be able to play the game. They earned it through the regular season and then making it that far in the playoffs. If they were forced to basically forfeit because TAPPS couldn't reschedule a time for ONE game, that would have been pretty ridiculous.

http://www.chron.com...nal-3374028.php

My question is, who issued the TRO? A judge is the only one who can do that, right (Annise behind it?)? Does any law back this TRO up?

This was added at the bottom of the article, likely well after you first read it...

Editor's note: An earlier version of the Beren Academy story contained a mistake about the court filings today concerning the school. There was no temporary restraining order filed. TAPPS reacted to the federal lawsuits that had been filed.

I had actually heard on the radio that a judge issued a TRO, which is the only way a TRO can be issued. Beren Academy did not file the lawsuit. Several parents did. TAPPS had no legal chance of succeeding, since last year they changed the date and time of a soccer match to accomodate a Christian school (7th Day Adventist). If you bend the rules for one, you must bend the rules for all. This was not a case of "the government stepping in". It was a case of a group having two set of rules depending on which school was asking for an exception, and the law is clear on these things.

I have to say, your accusations of Annise Parker being behind this, and the "government stepping in" sure reek of conspiratorial fear. Perhaps you should adjust the tinfoil hat. I also wonder why you did not see a little bit of Christian dictatorial behavior in the fact that the Jewish school must "follow the rules" while the Christian school's religioious customs were accomodated.

No, you're actually right. I do think everyone should follow the rules. I don't think I had learned about the 7th day thing or the fact they agreed to a set of rules, until after I had created the thread. The only reason I thought annise may have been behind it is because I read she and van gundy had gotten into it somehow. I shouldn't have assumed regardless, I was wrong.

I appreciate the article update and legal explanation. That's what I was wondering about.

my favorite comment from a user on the chron article:

Muslims Christians and Jews all worship the same God. Muslims worship on Friday, Jews on Saturday and Christian's on Sunday. God's way of ensuring he gets a 3 day weekend.

• The title was changed to Robert M Beren Academy At 11333 Cliffwood Dr.
  • The title was changed to Robert M. Beren Academy At 11333 Cliffwood Dr.