Living Wall, or Vertical Garden

samagon

Plants are great for helping to purify the air in ones house, limited floor space offers some challenges for placement of plants to not take up too much space.

I saw this http://inhabitat.com/case-and-soms-amps-living-green-wall-promises-to-reduce-air-pollution-and-energy-costs/ and it got me thinking about doing something similar (on a smaller scale, obviously) in my house.

Anyone have any experience? DIY recommendations?

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...

Plants are great for helping to purify the air in ones house, limited floor space offers some challenges for placement of plants to not take up too much space.

I saw this http://inhabitat.com/case-and-soms-amps-living-green-wall-promises-to-reduce-air-pollution-and-energy-costs/ and it got me thinking about doing something similar (on a smaller scale, obviously) in my house.

Anyone have any experience? DIY recommendations?

This was done through a process called Digital Fabrication. In other words it design was carried out using digital tools to create the geometry and then after a process called rapid prototyping you eventually come to a form that you like. At that point you explore what kind of materials you want to build out of and then you machine it.

I haven't had any real experience with this, but it's something that I'm currently exploring right now. You can always do something much simpler.

The important thing is how much space is this taking up, what is the budget for this thing you want to build, what do you want it to look like, and what plants are you putting into it. All very important questions.

EDIT: just realized this was from 2012! Curse whoever brought this back from the dead lol. Still would be an interesting project. Also wanted to point out that when I was talking about Digital Fabrication I was talking about the examples in those pictures which were obviously done using that process of design, but you can achieve the desired affect using other means.

Archived