Say Nice Things About D-fw!

I think the soul less Dallas burbs take away from the city.  Especially Plano, Frisco and the far North ones.

I agree. There must be some reason why their kids in the northern burbs are OD'ing or commiting suicide all the time.

And you can't say their schools are great when they produce people like Jessica Simpson.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love my deep Georgia forest, but the Blackland Prairie and Post Oak Savannah of North Texas is just as nice - in a different way.  Having been raised on the High Plains, I was not blinded to the subtle yet sincerely overwhelming beauty of the prairie as happens with so many forest folks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve/wildl...ement/post_oak/

I have high expectations that more thoughtful flood control management along the Trinity River through Dallas County will allow for recreation on the natural savannah.  Much of the river bottom forest has returned immediatly SE of downtown, narrowing the impatience of a time consuming process toward grassland and wetland restoration - and that's quick (it might take more time to pick up all the trash from the abandoned dump ground which gave the forest peace and quiet to grow back during most of the 20th century).

Of future activities in Dallas I anticipate with great exurberance is paddling a canoe through Trinity River Park, specifically the city views through forest clearings.  It is a profound sensation that happens when combining the sounds of a wilderness with the vistas of the city's heart.  This sensation will be recreation available to everyone in Dallas in a few years, and that's the nicest reality I can come up with right now.

I absolutely love the pineforests that spill in to the ATL from the north. It is especially nice when viewed from the high hills in the southern half of the METRO and the mountains to the northeast. Those views, to me, are better than those in California.

We're somewhat lucky here in Houston because you only need to go about 45 miles north to start seeing those rolling pine hills.

I absolutely love the pineforests that spill in to the ATL ...those views, to me, are better than those in California.

The only SoCal views I enjoy more have the moon setting over the ocean. Sunsets in the Panhandle can be just as nice.

The good thing is that Texas has two huge metro areas and several big metro areas. DFW and Houston are good for each other. We emphasize the spirit of Texas in the cities and it's all good!!!! I LOVE Houston, but I'd live in Dallas if I didn't live in H-town. :)

Things I like about Dallas:

1. White Rock Lake

2. Hotel Crescent Court

3. Uptown

4. Gayborhood

5. Fountain Place

6. Fair Park

City Hall building (ok, that was a joke)

7. Victory development (a Phillipe Starck condo building was just announced!)

8. Highland Village

9. West Village shopping

10. Myerson Symphony Center

What I LOVE about Houston:

Well let's see.

45 to downtown, 45 to Galveston (ok, all of it)

the trailer parks INSIDE city limits.

the tranny bums on the corners.

the utter lack of irrigation and landscaping on the highways (a mower wouldn't hurt).

the constant blindness of the ugliness of, well, everything.

the entire city that you don't want to be in at night.

keystar event complex.

the crime rate

the light rail dubbed wham-bam-tram that runs from one stadium to the next.

sports facilities(an attempt at legitimacy)

new federal reserve bank (oh wait, its the Houston branch of the Dallas FRB)

Harwin (need i say more)

Popeyes on every corner (mmm, 150pc dark meat assortment for 10 bucks!)

The illegals driving 20mph slower than the limit so they don't get arrested

SafeClear

The ghetto people(how could i forget)

The fashion(daisy dukes and wife beater @ central market)

The language (No habla ingles)

Hurricane Harbor (not the water park in Dallas... Houston's streets after rain)

the one toothed lady at Pottery Barn in Highland Village

the only people that think houston can compare to dallas are the ones that live there.

the weather(isn't the entire city a flood zone?)

the trailer parks INSIDE city limits.

The fashion(daisy dukes and wife beater @ central market)

the light rail dubbed wham-bam-tram that runs from one stadium to the next.

sports facilities(an attempt at legitimacy)

heehee

1. Reunion Tower

2. Southlake / Tarrant Cty

3. Stockyards, duh...

4. The way I can careen through all of the construction zones and winding bits of highway around Dallas, imagining I'm actually playing Gran Turismo.

5. Less humidity

6. Higher chance of "Cloudy Christmas." (Don't you hate sunny Christmases?)

7. Two cities in one

8. Way Cool Acronym

9. Las Colinas and the Mustangs

10. Layout of the airport is far easier to navigate

Things I like about Dallas:

1. White Rock Lake

2. Hotel Crescent Court

3. Uptown

4. Gayborhood

5. Fountain Place

6. Fair Park

City Hall building (ok, that was a joke)

7. Victory development (a Phillipe Starck condo building was just announced!)

8. Highland Village

9. West Village shopping

^I know right! This thread was basically going in the right direction until Houcajan arrived (the thread maker asked for everyone to say nice things about DFW). Thanks Houcajan and you seem really mature and educated.. just thought I should let you know.

^I thought so as well. What was I doing? Houston is wonderful, and I think the perfect place to talk about just how wonderful it is would be in a Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex thread.

I haven't been to it much, but I don't seem to remember Dallasites spending most of their time on their forum talking about how much they hate Houston... As a matter of fact, from the parts that I remember, most of the times it happened they were posters from Houston.

And just in case anyone feels the need to question, I've lived in Houston for two years now, so I'm not a Dallasite coming to the Houston forum to bash.

I don't suppose there's a BAN feature to this message board?

I haven't been to it much, but I don't seem to remember Dallasites spending most of their time on their forum talking about how much they hate Houston...

Apparently they come here. Did you even read your last post?

And just in case anyone feels the need to question, I've lived in Houston for two years now, so I'm not a Dallasite coming to the Houston forum to bash.

Great non sequitur. You need to be a little more convincing than that.

I don't suppose there's a BAN feature to this message board?

The fact that a useless troll like yourself is still posting here indicates that there is not.

I hope this helps.

ah... name calling.  knowing that an anonymous person on a message board called me a useless troll keeps me up at nights.

It's not name-calling, it's just a fact. Your weak-minded, repetitive, and unsubtle trolls are useless even for entertainment value. Ok, ok, you don't like Houston. We get it. Time to move on.

Has anyone been to Six Flags up there? If ya go up in the Oil Derrick, (orange tower) couple of hundred feet up on the observation deck, you look west and see downtown Fort Worth, and then you walk around to the east side (just a few paces) and you can see downtown Dallas! All from one spot. Just seeing two city downtowns from one place is too cool. B)

But this isn't a thread about Houston, its Dallas/Fort Worth/Metroplex --> Say Nice Things About D-fw!... Maybe you should direct your frustration HouCajun, who is actually doing the trolling.

I love Six Flags over Texas, but they keep raising prices! (I remember when I was a kid it was 19 bucks with a coke can) AND they charge a seperate fee to go to the water park. I went there once over Christmas and the lights were spectacular.

Hey, I'm all about saying nice things about D-FW but I just don't see why pumping up DFW has to involve ripping on Houston. I think it's just on this board, though -- this "rivalry" doesn't seem to exist in real life as far as I've noticed.

You know, I remember all of the Dallas/Houston trash talk in the late 70s and early to mid 80s, but I haven't heard anyone that has engaged in that other than a playful reference to the old days in YEARS...until I started reading this board. It is just not that big a deal to anyone anymore.

Why it gets to that point here, I don't know. I will say that there are a few posters that appear to like to stoke it up. If the rest of us ignore them, it will stop.

Archived