Say Nice Things About D-fw!

Be nice (that means you too, 'Coog!) :)

1. Nice lakes

2. Some nice urban projects

3. Nice shopping

4. They've got hills!

5. Their winters are better than New York's.

6. American Airlines Center

7. The Kimball Museum

8. Uptown

9. Fort Worth Stockyards

10. They've spared us from the tyranny of Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban :P

Be nice!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, I love Big-D. My first job out of college was at Southwest Airlines HQ.

My list:

1. Bill's Records and Tapes in Richardson

2. Southwest Airlines

3. High-Neighbor Food Mart in Addison

4. Dallas Farmer's Market

5. Lower Greenville

6. Deep Ellum

7. The Sonic across from Addison Airport (watching the planes land)

8. Turtle Creek

9. Ojeda

it's been said before and i'll say it again: "the best thing about dallas is that it's only minutes from ft. worth".

good things about the metroplex:

ft. worth's modern art museum

ft. worth's downtown revitalization/trinity river plan

meyerson symphony center

I think both Dallas and Fort Worth have downtowns that are full of potential. I think Fort Worth is farther along in terms of livability and visual appeal, but Dallas can catch up considering the new desire for urban living sweeping across the nation.

I like the more Houston-like downtown of Dallas. I like that parts of it are gritty. I really like their greyhound station much better than ours. Deep Elum reminds me of a sparser and tame version of 6th street, but which had a similar feel. Whereas downtown Fort Worth seems a lot more family oriented, although I found one pub there that I really liked where a slightly older crowd might feel comfortable.

The one thing that I really got out of my recent visit there, is that there seems to be a lack of "sin" in the metroplex. When you walk around downtown Houston's historic district, or the montrose, or other areas, there is a certain "sin" in everything, in the way women dress, etc. etc. I have to say that I like that. Some of it is down right fantastic. Of course driving around Houston, and having lunch at "certain" places, you are also almost required to look at "certain" things, if you know what I mean. I didnt get any of that "feeling" at all in the metroplex. It just has a more family feel to me, I guess that's what I am saying. I guess I have gotten used to, and expect, that gritier and sinister side of Houston.

On another subject (Fort Worth), Bass Hall is the envy of Texas as far as far as a symphony-friendly hall is concerned. Although I have heard that Corpus Christi (Yes, Corpus) is supposed to have one of the most acousitcally superior halls in the nation. I was surprised when I heard it. But I heard it from a VERY reliable source.

I love the Dallas burbs, especially Plano. EDIT:  I was going to put the close proximity to Fort Worth to but they seem like different cities completely.

I think the soul less Dallas burbs take away from the city. Especially Plano, Frisco and the far North ones.

That's what I don't like about Dallas; more suburban than urban.

At least they're trying to develop some semblance of vitality in those cores, and I'm not sure I'd blame those 'burbs for taking away from the core. Look at Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle--hell, even Denver. All these cities have massive 'burbs going in all direction and they all have vital cores, including Los Angeles, even if the active "core" is more in the Wilshire area than DT proper.

Granted, these new urbanist projects in those northern 'burbs are forged in many ways, but it's a start at the least. The only other thing (besides the treelessness of Frisco and northern Plano) that I don't care all that much for with regards to Dallas' suburbs (and Ft. Worth's for that matter) is that the better ones are almost all congregated together in the north central areas (though, I do see some healthy growth in NE Collin county as well). The poorer 'burbs have become an extension of some of the poorer neighborhoods to the southeast and south central (and to a lesser degree the southwest). Most new growth cities see a good amount of suburban prosperity in all directions but it's funny that it almost appears that the growth of D-FW suburbs are almost like a reflection of the growth of Dallas proper; prosperity mostly to the north and not so healthy to the south.

I wonder if that is kind of a weird, freak of nature coincidence or if this was more a conscious long term plan by developers and municipalities a like.

I like "bedroom community" ;-)

Seriously though... I think all the burbs do hurt the Dallas' city core.

Richardon is (or was before telecom bust) a prime example. MCI, Nortel, etc. ruled that city, and Dallas tried to lure them many times.

Same thing when Frito Left Dallas and moved to Plano.

I like the fact that Dallas is focusing back on its central business district... and are bringing world-renowned architects to work on projects throughout the urban core. They have a who's who of major architects who have recently designed bridges, arts complexes, condos, etc.... all about to be showcased on the skyline soon. Hate to say this, but Houston stands to get way overtaken on the architectural front if local developers continue to limit themselves to hometown architects...

Back to what I like about Dallas... transit-oriented development, DART, commuter rail, the ambitious Trinity River plan, the urbanity of Uptown, the West Village, and the incredible Nasher Sculpture Garden. Oh, and I really love how Dallas illuminates many of its major buildings at night.

I also think that downtown Fort Worth is probably the best example of downtown redevelopment in Texas... lots of new office space (really like the new Pier 1 headquarters), movie theaters, bookstores, restaurants, shops, lofts - its all there. And the city's planners are creating a wonderful arts district (the Modern is fantastic)... and they, like Dallas, also have a wonderful plan for the Trinity River (including developing a white-water rapid kayak course).

Dallas - Ft. Worth is really doing some great things... I can only hope that it will help open up the eyes of our local leaders here. Hey Mayor White- I like you a lot - but our city's lack of a creative vision is slowly but surely making Houston, well, boring.

"I also think that downtown Fort Worth is probably the best example of downtown redevelopment in Texas... lots of new office space (really like the new Pier 1 headquarters), movie theaters, bookstores, restaurants, shops, lofts - its all there. And the city's planners are creating a wonderful arts district (the Modern is fantastic)... and they, like Dallas, also have a wonderful plan for the Trinity River (including developing a white-water rapid kayak course)."

Just goes to show you what a couple of billionaires (Bass brothers) can do when they really put their minds to it.

Well let's see.

I-35 to downtown(excuse me I'm getting sick.Whereis the alka seltzer)

the trailer park off I-35

the wig shops on every corner

the graffiti in market center

the constant blindness of the ugliness from grandprairie to garland

the downtown that you don't want to be in at night

the crime rate

that ugly light rail train

their sports facilities(which most are located in another city)

new cowboys stadium(jerry jones' attempt to copy ours)

Big T Bazzar( need i say more)

william's chicken( thank god for Imodium AD)

The rednecks

The ghetto people(how could i forget)

The fashion( a pink eight -button suit isn't uncommon)

the language (it's hot in herr)

the lack of trees

the one toothed lady at the waffle house

the perception that all of dallas is nice because you only visited plano.

the weather(aren't they in tornado alley)

I'll stop here,but i'll continue later.

Please don't.

And everything was going so well up to this point!

I like the Victory Project going on in Dallas, but I just can't help thinking Houston could do something similiar, maybe even better, if the city would just cure it's ADD and focus on one area! Development just keeps jumping all around, it feels like certain areas are never going to be finished, like Midtown. I guess it makes for more variety though.

Well let's see.

I-35 to downtown(excuse me I'm getting sick.Whereis the alka seltzer)

the trailer park off I-35

the wig shops on every corner

the graffiti in market center

the constant blindness of the ugliness from grandprairie to garland

the downtown that you don't want to be in at night

the crime rate

that ugly light rail train

their sports facilities(which most are located in another city)

new cowboys stadium(jerry jones' attempt to copy ours)

Big T Bazzar( need i say more)

william's chicken( thank god for Imodium AD)

The rednecks

The ghetto people(how could i forget)

The fashion( a pink eight -button suit isn't uncommon)

the language (it's hot in herr)

the lack of trees

the one toothed lady at the waffle house

the perception that all of dallas is nice because you only visited plano.

the weather(aren't they in tornado alley)

Now that is funny.

I love my deep Georgia forest, but the Blackland Prairie and Post Oak Savannah of North Texas is just as nice - in a different way. Having been raised on the High Plains, I was not blinded to the subtle yet sincerely overwhelming beauty of the prairie as happens with so many forest folks.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/conserve/wildl...ement/post_oak/

I have high expectations that more thoughtful flood control management along the Trinity River through Dallas County will allow for recreation on the natural savannah. Much of the river bottom forest has returned immediatly SE of downtown, narrowing the impatience of a time consuming process toward grassland and wetland restoration - and that's quick (it might take more time to pick up all the trash from the abandoned dump ground which gave the forest peace and quiet to grow back during most of the 20th century).

Of future activities in Dallas I anticipate with great exurberance is paddling a canoe through Trinity River Park, specifically the city views through forest clearings. It is a profound sensation that happens when combining the sounds of a wilderness with the vistas of the city's heart. This sensation will be recreation available to everyone in Dallas in a few years, and that's the nicest reality I can come up with right now.

Archived