skooljunkie

Block 436 & 437 (Formerly Milhaus Midtown)

49 minutes ago, CREguy13 said:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-developer-starts-long-awaited-Midtown-13038743.php

Per the Chronicle:

It looks like the second block will probably be a 21-story high-rise and break ground in late 2019, early 2020.  Are we going to have multiple high-rises proposed/constructed in Midtown during this cycle?

I liked your post several times but you didn't see it.

Great news!

Midtown is changing fast. Adding a 21, 27, 29, and two more unknown floor counts in the next ~5 years will really change the skyline of that area. 

On 7/3/2018 at 11:29 AM, thatguysly said:

Midtown is changing fast. Adding a 21, 27, 29, and two more unknown floor counts in the next ~5 years will really change the skyline of that area. 

What are the other two unknown projects?

6 hours ago, Houston? said:

What are the other two unknown projects?

The other two Caydon projects that have filed for FAA permits

On 7/7/2018 at 3:40 PM, MarathonMan said:

Is it just me, or does this building look really dated?  Not good something that hasn’t been built yet.

It reminds me of the Wortham Center and elements of the George R. Brown and the old Terminal D design at IAH (with the use of circular windows and the archways). Like something from the late 80’s.

On 7/7/2018 at 2:40 PM, MarathonMan said:

Is it just me, or does this building look really dated?  Not good something that hasn’t been built yet.

Nope it’s not just you. It’s dated and unattractive IMO. Is it bad that I’m ready for it to be bulldozed before it’s even built? They need to go back to the drawing board on the facade with this one.

I think you all are being too hard on the design. I’m loving the red brick, which is something I wish developers would build more of here. It’s very classy to me. 

you mean the red brick that doesn't start until the second floor? The red brick you'll barely be able to see instead of apparently yellow "stucco" if you're walking next to it? 

1 hour ago, Texasota said:

you mean the red brick that doesn't start until the second floor? The red brick you'll barely be able to see instead of apparently yellow "stucco" if you're walking next to it? 

2 hours ago, Houston? said:

I think you all are being too hard on the design. I’m loving the red brick, which is something I wish developers would build more of here. It’s very classy to me. 

Looks like masonry limestone block... Could be OK... perhaps not ideal.

I am cautiously optimistic... or am I optimistically cautious? :P

The current structure going up will not have GFR. Midtown discussed GFR with Winthur Investments but they were not amenable to putting GFR in the proposed 5 story apartment building. They are amenable to GFR in the neighboring 20 story building that will begin as phase 2. 

6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

For those who don't have access:

They see the market demand for a 20 story structure

20 vs 12 stories will be based on construction costs

A restaurant is planned for the ground floor, but no other details are available

Dirt should be moving on phase 2 by Q1 2020

• Like 6

Freeway shots from a Lyft.

uPxS0IK.jpg

Edited by ekdrm2d1
  • Like 5

They’re putting up a rough-hewn white brick on the face of the ground level parking podium.  It’s kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it looks light years from anything urban that you’d expect in Midtown.  More like Texas Hill Country or Tuscan countryside.  I hope it turns out better than I’m imagining.

AD40983E-A87C-41FA-B599-366ADB8F23E2.jpeg

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, MarathonMan said:

They’re putting up a rough-hewn white brick on the face of the ground level parking podium.  It’s kind of hard to tell from the picture, but it looks light years from anything urban that you’d expect in Midtown.  More like Texas Hill Country or Tuscan countryside.  I hope it turns out better than I’m imagining.

AD40983E-A87C-41FA-B599-366ADB8F23E2.jpeg

I'm holding out hope.  The look they are shooting for seems similar to Union Station / Minute Maid Park. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8jpjcT42K5i3PbwD-xfy

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Subdude said:

I’m holding out hope.  The look they are shooting for seems similar to Union Station / Minute Maid Park.

I admire your optimism, Subdude!  In my mind, if they’re going for a Minute Maid Park look, they may fail miserably.  It’s taking a decidedly Mediterranean Country turn.  It might work in the burbs, but not in the city.

Edited by MarathonMan
  • Like 1

I've said this before, but I do like being in a city where a 6 story mid-rise is something you might encounter in the suburbs

• Like 1

We have to remember that this design was originally conceived like 10 years ago? Probably right on the back edge of the whole traditional kitsch looks that were flooding the market at the time. Luckily we've grown out of that have gotten in line with the more contemporary looks. I'm hoping that they have surveyed their surroundings and have noticed the change and will apply this to there high rise.

• Like 1

I like it better than a vacant lot. It's not like it's light years worse than what's been there or any of the surrounding blocks for the last 50 years. 

Edited by Response
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Response said:

I like it better than a vacant lot. It's not like it's light years worse than what's been there or any of the surrounding blocks for the last 50 years. 

I appreciate your point, but if its ugly were stuck with it for fifty years. At least with a vacant lot it still has promise. I would prefer something going up in midtown and downtown 

that's more contemporary and aesthetically pleasing.Let Austin have the limestone blocks, and mediterranean windows.

4 minutes ago, bobruss said:

I appreciate your point, but if its ugly were stuck with it for fifty years. At least with a vacant lot it still has promise. I would prefer something going up in midtown and downtown 

that's more contemporary and aesthetically pleasing.Let Austin have the limestone blocks, and mediterranean windows.

For me its the keystones. The facade is overall a hot mess, but the keystones are pathetic and weak.

Edited by Luminare

Don't worry, Houston still has lots and lots of 'promise'. Plus, boring as it may be, I just don't hate this style of building as much as everyone else. There are so many lots that need improvement in Midtown, that as long as we aren't getting another suburban style CVS on a Midtown block or anything else with a big parking lot in front, I think I can find a ray of sunshine in that project. 

o.jpg

Edited by Response
  • Like 7

In midtown, the baseline should be no parking lots between the sidewalk and the front of the building.  This place meets that, so it at least meets the minimum.  It is in an area that has less developed buildings, so it is just a first stage.  It might look like an eye sore after the other lots are developed, or it could just blend in.  It will depend on how those other blocks redevelop

• Like 6