Sign in to follow this  
HoustonMidtown

Late Nite Pie Restaurant on Fire

I swear, that place goes through so much drama over the post few years.makes me wonder if they are going to survive this.

And all I could think of is " that old building is burning, what a shame".

how old was the building? I would go past it maybe once or twice a week, and the building itself never stood out as an old structure that was anything special. other than the front of the VW bus sticking out, it wasn't exactly unique.

the next morning early--maybe 6 am all the strrets were blocked off and you could tell the firman had gone all the way to avondale and helena to use that hydrant--

I guess the building was only cinder block-- but I liked the cylinder looking part, the front door and the vw in the wall--

whatever happened to the plans for the building across the street?

The uneven roofline, with columns higher, is what makes me think it was old. And the corner entrance that looks like it was expanded. I saw it on the television as it was burning. From a historical perspective it could be noteworthy, if not architecturally. It's a matter of opinion.

Was the interior really made of cinderblock? then I could be wrong. Stucco can cover up a lot, as well.

Edited by NenaE

This building?

http://g.co/maps/f42pv

Hopefully they will do something keep Growing Midtown moving South.

I asked because I had posted this last January on the Fbar thread and haven't heard anything since=>

The owner of Pub Fiction brought renderings of the building to a Midtown Planning meeting awhile back. If plans haven't changed since then... the building is going to be awesome w/ a nice entrance on the corner w/ columns. It will be multi story (I think 2 or 3) with a roof bar thing w/ parking in the back

I don't get to go to as many meetings as I did last year. . . . . .

Edited by trymahjong

Looks like it used to be Mela's Tejano Country (lesbian Tejano bar) from 1980 to at least 2005 (it won Houston Press awards in 2002 and 2005). The owner was grand marshal of the Pride Parade in 2002.

Edited by kylejack

HCAD shows an 1164 sqft building originally built in 1929 and a second 1800 sqft building built in 1970. Not sure how it was integrated to the original building or what improvements they did. never been there sober...

• Like 1

! am hoping for a good BBQ place to go in-- we tried the one up on gray street--hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not what I was hoping for.

! am hoping for a good BBQ place to go in-- we tried the one up on gray street--hmmmmmmmmmmmmm not what I was hoping for.

Gatlin's is the only excellent place. Thelma's is alright.

Any idea on what is happening here? Looks pretty bad half burned down

Hm, not sure what you mean. The owner and manager were charged with arson.

I was just curious what happens to the lot. I knew about the arson. Thinking about it some more; could be a while before it gets sorted out sold/taken from him. Saw some squatters inside in the former beer garden while riding my bike over the weekend.

So any news on what will become of the old Late Nite Pie? Such a prime location. It just sits there as an eye sore when it is the perfect spot for a restaurant, bakery, or a much needed coffeehouse down in this part of Midtown.

• Like 3