• Replies 997
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went yesterday and it was amazing.  Very well done. The architecture, the exhibits, everything.  Here are some photos:            

A couple of pics of the ceiling in the main atrium, taken from the third floor. As you can see, there’s tons of natural light augmented with some artificial light. I can’t wait to see this building on

Posted Images

The building is amazing. I wish I had more time to take everything in, but I had to run. Next time.. 

The guide recommended we take the elevator to the top and work our way down. With the flow around the open central atrium and stairs, I couldn’t help but think of Wrights Guggenheim. 
The Kusama infinity room is closed right now. I heard multiple variations for why, from not being able to manage capacity while it’s busy during this free grand opening week(?), but “should be open after that”, to the unfortunately more likely reason, covid. 
The skylights in the tunnel between the Kinder and Glassell buildings were very Turrell-esque. The other tunnel towards the Law building was already getting blocked by people getting their picture taken, with the rainbow colored light filling the backdrop. 

I’d post pictures, but the file size limit is ridiculous.

Oh, the Glassell rooftop is still closed, but the new awning shade doesn’t look too bad from the ground level.

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 6

DistortedQuarterlyGavial-small.gif

MFAH_logo.jpg?format=1000w

Rich-and-Nancy-Kinder-Photo-by-Wilson-Pa

^^^ nancy and rich kinder

^^^ @DarklyMoron @rgarza and to any other HAIF stalwarts that are associated to whatever degree... to the newest MFAH CROWN JEWEL now open within our fair city of houston, tx... CONGRATULATIONS!  thank you kindly for your hard work, constant insight and updates, and all around knowledgeable contributions to this burgeoning MFAH thread.  SALUTE!  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

How are y’all adding so many pictures to a post? The mobile site only lets me add 3 pictures from my phone before there’s no room left. The max file size for me says 7.31mb, which isn’t even 1/4th the file size for one jpeg picture from my actual camera..?

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, cloud713 said:

How are y’all adding so many pictures to a post? The mobile site only lets me add 3 pictures from my phone before there’s no room left. The max file size for me says 7.31mb, which isn’t even 1/4th the file size for one jpeg picture from my actual camera..?

Upload your pictures to Imgur then right click the image and click "Copy Image Address" then paste that into your reply and it should automatically change the image address into the image itself.

• Like 7

It's curious that NY Times has not reviewed the architecture of this building. They did an article on the Latin American art, but no mention of the architecture. Their architecture critic, Michael Kimmelman, seems immersed in politics these days, judging by his Twitter feed.

• Like 7
16 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

It's curious that NY Times has not reviewed the architecture of this building.

Kimmelman seems more interested in the anthropological aspects of architecture than architectural criticism. My bet is one of the art critics, like Roberta Smith, will cover it but mainly focusing on the installation. It would be nice to see more reviews of the building. Not many papers have architecture critics anymore. I grew up reading Thomas Hine in the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Chronicle has poor Molly Glentzer covering everything from art to ballet.

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, DarklyMoron said:

Kimmelman seems more interested in the anthropological aspects of architecture than architectural criticism. My bet is one of the art critics, like Roberta Smith, will cover it but mainly focusing on the installation. It would be nice to see more reviews of the building. Not many papers have architecture critics anymore. I grew up reading Thomas Hine in the Philadelphia Inquirer. The Chronicle has poor Molly Glentzer covering everything from art to ballet.

Well, they did an article already on the installation. Weird that they don't have a normal architecture critic anymore. Typically whoever their critic was was de facto critic for the country. I guess Blair Kamin in Chicago would be the closest thing to that now?

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, Texasota said:

The Inquirer has Inga Saffron but I don't think she gets out of the Philly area that often.

All I can say about Inga Saffron is that she wrote a pretty negative review of the Kimbell's Renzo Piano addition a while back. When I met the Kimbell's director (and this was years later), he was still smarting from that review. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, H-Town Man said:

Well, they did an article already on the installation.

I would call that a pre-opening feature on Mari Carmen and MFAH's prescience in collecting Latin American art. I would hope they'd do a real review of the entire Kinder installation. What will be interesting is their take on our representation of modern and contemporary art. Houston does not follow the modern art canon like Moma. Each department was essentially doing its own thing until this building brought them all together. So they sometimes complement one another, sometimes not. They may find it refreshing or jarring. We'll see.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, jermh said:

This is a seriously cool expansion. I only made it up the first two floors, so I'll have to go back since I ran out of time.

TIP: I found out the hard way if you wear a backpack, they will make you wear it on your front or carry it by the handle.

MFA Houston -  Nancy and Rich Kinder Building

MFA Houston -  Nancy and Rich Kinder Building

Ah yeah, the backpack policy is pretty standard for museums. We asked the same when I worked at the Blaffer, assuming the person wasn't comfortable with us holding their bag up front. Surprisingly, not one person made a comment to me on Saturday about my camera bag/backpack.

• Like 3
  • 4 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

FWIW, One imagines that if the Law Building doors are currently closed, it might be because of the COVID-induced reduced operating capacity.

Maybe but they have taken away the admissions desk in that area and hung art around the space. I think it's more likely because there is no more parking lot across the street so it would be a seldom used entrance and there is no need to duplicate admissions staff. Also allows for more exhibit space.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, H-Town Man said:

Maybe but they have taken away the admissions desk in that area and hung art around the space. I think it's more likely because there is no more parking lot across the street so it would be a seldom used entrance and there is no need to duplicate admissions staff. Also allows for more exhibit space.

I think the Law Building admissions desk was relocated to the side quite some time ago.  And there's this from the MFAH website regarding admissions adjustments due to COVID:

"On the main campus, a single designated visitor entrance, at the Audrey Jones Beck Building (5601 Main Street)."

2 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

I think the Law Building admissions desk was relocated to the side quite some time ago.  And there's this from the MFAH website regarding admissions adjustments due to COVID:

"On the main campus, a single designated visitor entrance, at the Audrey Jones Beck Building (5601 Main Street)."

I didn't see any admissions desk in that area (do you mean to the side of the former entrance area or the side of the building on Main Street?). And there is another visitor's entrance currently open in the Kinder building, so that notice cannot be up to date. You can research further but I'm not sure what's at stake here. If they do bring it back as an entrance, great.

Edited by H-Town Man

The Law entrance is only closed to limit the staff needed for screening, etc. It will be reopened whenever we return to normal. 
@H-Town ManI think your point about the interior having a slightly dismal feel is interesting. The new Menil drawing center mitigates that transition from the bright outdoors to the necessary dimness for works on paper rather well. Harder in a space like Kinder with the mix of mediums. And I agree that Law and really the entire campus looks and feels so much more cohesive and smart. Just that little bit of landscaping in the median does a lot to connect the two buildings. I get your point about the pods. I used to love going to the Met in NY and getting utterly lost in some wing. That said, I think most would argue for clear way finding. And I’d suggest that for a newbie visitor, this expanded campus gives you many opportunities to get lost. Imagine directing someone from the Glassell entrance to the European paintings.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful observations.

4 hours ago, DarklyMoron said:

The Law entrance is only closed to limit the staff needed for screening, etc. It will be reopened whenever we return to normal. 
@H-Town ManI think your point about the interior having a slightly dismal feel is interesting. The new Menil drawing center mitigates that transition from the bright outdoors to the necessary dimness for works on paper rather well. Harder in a space like Kinder with the mix of mediums. And I agree that Law and really the entire campus looks and feels so much more cohesive and smart. Just that little bit of landscaping in the median does a lot to connect the two buildings. I get your point about the pods. I used to love going to the Met in NY and getting utterly lost in some wing. That said, I think most would argue for clear way finding. And I’d suggest that for a newbie visitor, this expanded campus gives you many opportunities to get lost. Imagine directing someone from the Glassell entrance to the European paintings.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughtful observations.

Then Houston 19514 was right. I do wish they'd lose the entrance space there and let the Islamic collection flow across. The vast central exhibit space is still I think the major issue hamstringing the building but it will be seen as blasphemy to alter Mies' design.

You are right, the whole campus affords many opportunities to get lost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
3 hours ago, DarklyMoron said:

An extremely positive review of both the building and the installations in the National Review (with a few brief right wing asides). 
https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/02/hallelujah-houston-mfa/

The article seems to be behind a translucent-semi-circular-glass-tubes-covered paywall. 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Haha 2
8 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

The article seems to be behind a translucent-semi-circular-glass-tubes-covered paywall. 

Ah yeah. They give you a few free articles a month. I inadvertently used up my going to the same article 3 times. D’oh!

• 3 weeks later...

Cafe Leonelli, the long-awaited Houston debut of Michelin Star chef Jonathan Benno, will open April 16 at the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, according to an announcement on Tuesday.

The cafe will focus on traditional Italian cuisine, producing house-made focaccia, sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes, and meat and seafood fare. Also look for Italian pastries from executive pastry chef Salvatore Martone and an outpost of Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen.

Cafe Leonelli will have indoor and outdoor seating.

:From Houstonia 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Cafe Leonelli, the long-awaited Houston debut of Michelin Star chef Jonathan Benno, will open April 16 at the Nancy and Rich Kinder Building at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, according to an announcement on Tuesday.

The cafe will focus on traditional Italian cuisine, producing house-made focaccia, sandwiches, salads, pasta dishes, and meat and seafood fare. Also look for Italian pastries from executive pastry chef Salvatore Martone and an outpost of Miami-based ice cream shop Frohzen.

Cafe Leonelli will have indoor and outdoor seating.

:From Houstonia 

Is this going in that amazing looking space with all the chairs that faces binz/bissonnet? A michelin star chef? Food in Houston is seriously going places, what an amazing get by the Museum. 

• Like 8
7 hours ago, X.R. said:

Is this going in that amazing looking space with all the chairs that faces binz/bissonnet? A michelin star chef? Food in Houston is seriously going places, what an amazing get by the Museum. 

Yes, the cafe is in the space along Bissonnet. The restaurant is in the space facing the sculpture garden. The restaurant should be pretty spectacular. Can’t wait.

• Like 5
  • 2 months later...