nmainguy

Museum of Fine Arts Houston Expansion

i got confirmation yesterday from a source that wishes to remain anonymous that the reason there are only 6 clear tubes FOR NOW is that they are testing them out...they are like bank tubes at the drive thru but for people...you step in and they suction you up to the next level...for now they can each only hold up to 2 people or a family of 3 to 4 depending on how small the child is...

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

3 hours ago, mls1202 said:

What I want to know is what happens when a pigeon lands on top and sh*!ts through the grating, leaving a nice streak on the inside of these tubes...

mls, do you remember the chimney sweeps from the movie "Mary Poppins"?

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, DarklyMoron said:

Not entirely surprising, but it was announced today that the opening has been pushed back from November 1st to November 21st.

Press release: https://www.mfah.org/press/mfah-announces-inaugural-installations-kinder-building

Chronicle: https://preview.houstonchronicle.com/art-exhibits/here-s-when-you-can-visit-mfah-s-new-kinder-15567959

That date felt a bit ambitious before the pandemic. 

Edited by jmitch94
  • Like 2

Quick update from the inside, museum staff have started moving in. There’s still quite a bit to do, but they are starting to move some art into the building. Of course, it’s not on display yet, but it is there! Barring any other major setbacks due to hurricanes or whatever, I think the new opening date is entirely doable. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

rgarza, do you know what material the curved ceilings are made of?  In some pics it looks like fabric sails (with what looks like grommets along the edge), while others look like plaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mls1202 said:

rgarza, do you know what material the curved ceilings are made of?  In some pics it looks like fabric sails (with what looks like grommets along the edge), while others look like plaster.

It’s plaster. Fabric sails would’ve been cool, but I imagine it’d be a nightmare to keep clean. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2020 at 11:16 AM, rgarza said:

It’s plaster. Fabric sails would’ve been cool, but I imagine it’d be a nightmare to keep clean. 

@rgarza When do you think y’all will be testing the illuminated tubes at night...anytime soon? Would love to see how it looks lit up!

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 5:22 PM, rgarza said:

Quick update from the inside, museum staff have started moving in. There’s still quite a bit to do, but they are starting to move some art into the building. Of course, it’s not on display yet, but it is there!

Have they moved in the Kusama room?

• Like 2

On 9/22/2020 at 3:15 PM, clutchcity94 said:

@rgarza When do you think y’all will be testing the illuminated tubes at night...anytime soon? Would love to see how it looks lit up!

Not sure. They were lighting up at night for a while but stopped recently. Not too sure why, but I can assure you it does look pretty cool when it’s lit up. 

14 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Have they moved in the Kusama room?

Yes, I saw it out of the corner of my eye as I was walking by last week and was instantly mesmerized. And that was just from seeing through the door from twenty feet away!

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I found this photo of a model of the building at night a day or so ago. I’d never seen it before. It’s definitely better than the original model we’ve all seen.

07B6985B-6FA9-44E4-B6BB-0AE99C8B9610.jpeg

Looks about right. The only difference I can see is there is no longer a canopy at the entrance. Also, when I saw it lit up the light wasn’t quite that bright white, but I think this does give a good idea of what it’ll look like. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rgarza said:

Looks about right. The only difference I can see is there is no longer a canopy at the entrance. Also, when I saw it lit up the light wasn’t quite that bright white, but I think this does give a good idea of what it’ll look like. 

@rgarza, are those lights:

1) "windows" through the concrete wall?

2) light panels behind the glass tubes?

3) or do I have it all wrong and these are lights external to the glass and are actually shining on the outside?

Both 1 & 2. The actual windows through the concrete (which are relatively few) are being augmented with some fictional "windows" placed on the concrete. (My husband works at the museum. I'm pretty sure that that's public information.)

Edited by DarklyMoron
Full disclosure
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DarklyMoron said:

Both 1 & 2. The actual windows through the concrete (which are relatively few) are being augmented with some fictional "windows" placed on the concrete. (My husband works at the museum. I'm pretty sure that that's public information.)

Here's the building before the tubes were in place. As you say, it looks like there are real windows and window-shaped indentations in the concrete. 

mfah-kinder-building-tops-out*1024xx5472-3078-0-0.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2020 at 2:47 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I found this photo of a model of the building at night a day or so ago. I’d never seen it before. It’s definitely better than the original model we’ve all seen.

07B6985B-6FA9-44E4-B6BB-0AE99C8B9610.jpeg

The model/rendering looks cool.  I’m still bummed that the most interesting aspect of the exterior design (imho) — the roof — will go largely unseen.  Although, it should translate to a spectacular ceiling on the inside.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MarathonMan said:

The model/rendering looks cool.  I’m still bummed that the most interesting aspect of the exterior design (imho) — the roof — will go largely unseen.  Although, it should translate to a spectacular ceiling on the inside.

Best view of the roof will be from the top of the Glassel School, and you’re right about the interior ceilings - spectacular!

• Like 2