HAIF - Houston's original social media

Museum of Fine Arts Houston Expansion

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A couple of pics of the ceiling in the main atrium, taken from the third floor. As you can see, there’s tons of natural light augmented with some artificial light. I can’t wait to see this building on

We have been instructed not to lick these windows. It’s been pretty difficult for us dumb construction workers, but we’re managing. Seriously, though, I don’t know where in China they’re coming from,

Posted Images

On 5/7/2020 at 12:31 PM, rgarza said:

Unfortunately, it’s gonna have to drive you crazy for a while longer lol. The replacement glass is literally on a slow boat from China. 

I hope that slow boat from China is bringing lots of spares.:P💸:huh:

mt7fnKz.jpg

9B8J5vf.jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

@hindesky it sure is. Hopefully, those replacements should be arriving within the next few weeks. The bad news is that almost no elevation has the same dimensions as far as height is concerned so each piece has to be custom ordered and made as the qc man finds them. Makes for a very slow replacement process. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, hindesky said:

I hope that slow boat from China is bringing lots of spares.:P💸:huh:

mt7fnKz.jpg

9B8J5vf.jpg

It's always tempting, when you misalign something, to just pick up the hammer and knock it back straight...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1579771636-5e2966f47c747.png

^^^ @rgarza what part of china are these replacements items being shipped from?  shall they be immediately placed in quarantine... before being placed upon the exterior of our multimillion dollar museum?  what form of safety measures do your bosses have in place... to ensure that these particular items were not constructed in WUHAN, CHINA? 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, rgarza said:

We have been instructed not to lick these windows. It’s been pretty difficult for us dumb construction workers, but we’re managing. Seriously, though, I don’t know where in China they’re coming from, but I’m pretty sure any microbes on the glass will be long dead by the time they get here. Covid-19 can live up to 5 days on glass and metal surfaces and these replacements are taking weeks to get here. We’re fine. Just to be safe though, please do not lick this museum! I repeat, this is not a lickable museum!!

• Like 1
On 5/10/2020 at 6:00 PM, hindesky said:

I like the longer video version better.:P

Well, I figured I'd probably bring down the wrath of the moderators on my head if I posted that one here. :ph34r:

• Like 3
On 5/10/2020 at 7:10 AM, rgarza said:

We have been instructed not to lick these windows. It’s been pretty difficult for us dumb construction workers, but we’re managing. Seriously, though, I don’t know where in China they’re coming from, but I’m pretty sure any microbes on the glass will be long dead by the time they get here. Covid-19 can live up to 5 days on glass and metal surfaces and these replacements are taking weeks to get here. We’re fine. Just to be safe though, please do not lick this museum! I repeat, this is not a lickable museum!!

Aww man I was hoping there would be lickable wallpaper.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
On 4/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, zaphod said:

I mean, they could always improve on it with LED lighting. A nice warm white would look really good at night.

That’s the plan.. I think the design will really shine at night.

On 5/10/2020 at 2:23 PM, mkultra25 said:

Ugh, this makes me sad that day for night is no more.. best festival ever.

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

For those that are interested, the remaining tower crane will be coming down this weekend. If you’ve never seen it before, it’s a pretty cool process. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 5/13/2020 at 12:42 AM, cloud713 said:

That’s the plan.. I think the design will really shine at night.

Ugh, this makes me sad that day for night is no more.. best festival ever.

I can say, without any doubt at all, Aphex Twin at Day for Night was the best live show I have ever seen, and probably will ever see.

from the backdrop of downtown Houston, to the way he timed the music just right to slowly build, and just when the cold front blew in, he changed the tempo. what a show.

anyone who likes that kind of music and couldn't be at that event missed something very special in my opinion.

it is a tragedy (for Houston) that Day for Night couldn't make it as an event.

• Like 6

Friday afternoon. A little hard to see because I had to snap this picture while I was working,  but the crane tear down crew is up there above the cab prepping for tomorrow’s task. 

937BE6FA-1A81-4C0D-8846-2AD6C7D5EA17.jpeg

• Like 8
  • 3 weeks later...
17 hours ago, rgarza said:

Apparently, there was even talk of trying to get replacements put on a cargo plane, but of course we weren’t the only ones to have that idea so space is at a super premium on cargo planes.

Can confirm. Many of my clients who used to use air freight to move smaller volume products are getting pushed off the planes and back to sea. Space on planes comes at too high of a premium at the moment. Too expensive for most. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

What really sucks about this facade is that the owner now has a difficult to maintain building.  The contractor right now has leverage to get replacement pieces (retainage, successful contract closeout, etc).  5 years from now the supplier will have very little insensitive to provide glass for a broken piece cause by the proverbial lawnmower throwing rocks.   I guess they could buy a bunch of attic stock but it looks like most of the pieces are in different sizes.

• Like 5

I would expect the individual pieces to be a bit less breakage-prone once they're installed, but I have to agree that *ease of maintenance* must not have been high on the list of priorities for this cladding choice.

• Like 6
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, rgarza said:

This is the install on the canopy that covers the courtyard facing Main St. It’s gonna look beautiful once it’s done, but boy oh boy is it nerve wracking to install. Each piece weighs in the neighborhood of 1200kg and we’ve got to be directly underneath it while it’s being put in. 

3D160450-5396-4963-A182-1AF6DF31A5BE.jpeg

BBEB997A-5F8D-4527-8B36-8D8024465B06.jpeg

Is there some sort of cladding on the courtyard walls, or is the concrete just painted? It appears to no longer be raw concrete in your (and hindesky's) photos. 

Edited by danielsonr
  • Like 5
Posted (edited)

So these canopy's and alcoves correlate to the gardens and meditative spaces they are creating around this development? Rode by yesterday and was trying to match up the schematics to what we're seeing. 

Edit: Looks amazing, btw

Edited by X.R.
  • Like 6
  • 4 weeks later...

what-your-word-for-attractive-says-about

^^^ those CLEAR GLASS TUBES have left me STUNNED!  what is the significance of that particular area of this edifice?  why are they in that particular spot?  you mean to tell me that this particular design element was a possibility from the start?  why couldn't the architect utilize this gorgeous CLEAR GLASS TUBING design element all over this burgeoning edifice?  was this particular design element much too costly?  thank you to @hindesky brilliant photography for showing these glass elements side by side of each other.  the overall appearance/difference is simply astonishing!  not to mention quite STUNNING!  one can only imagine if this particular design element was utilized throughout the entire edifice, along with very subtle LED lighting design affects throughout.  the end result could have resulted in the most beautiful modern day MFA in the world.  my goodness gracious, what on earth is happening here...?       

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I wouldn’t get too excited about the fence coming down. As far as I know, that was just a temporary measure taken when it looked like Laura was headed right for us (also note the sandbags at the doors). Fences should be back up in the next few days. 

As for the clear tube glass, I can take it or leave it. It looks nice from a distance, but up close shows all of the support steel, which just isn’t very pretty to my eye. If the entire facade was clear, the support steel would be visible throughout and I think it’d kill whatever beauty was gained from the look of the clear glass. I much prefer the frosted glass. It gives it much more of a cloud-like appearance (which was the architect’s intent, if I’m not mistaken). I’m not sure of the significance of this area, except that it’s one of the entrances and each entrance to the building is unique in some way. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The original plans showed doors directly into the cafe behind those clear tubes. The model on display in the museum lobby showed a couple small patches of clear tubing on the facade aligned with gallery windows. This section is the only one that was retained. As much as we like windows, they can be problematic with artwork, especially works on paper.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, monarch said:

^^^ those CLEAR GLASS TUBES have left me STUNNED!  what is the significance of that particular area of this edifice?  why are they in that particular spot?  you mean to tell me that this particular design element was a possibility from the start?  why couldn't the architect utilize this gorgeous CLEAR GLASS TUBING design element all over this burgeoning edifice?  was this particular design element much too costly?  thank you to @hindesky brilliant photography for showing these glass elements side by side of each other.  the overall appearance/difference is simply astonishing!  not to mention quite STUNNING!  one can only imagine if this particular design element was utilized throughout the entire edifice, along with very subtle LED lighting design affects throughout.  the end result could have resulted in the most beautiful modern day MFA in the world.  my goodness gracious, what on earth is happening here...?       

........or they all will be like that and this was just a mock-up portion. the rest could be covered in protective film that they will remove before completion. 

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
50 minutes ago, shasta said:

........or they all will be like that and this was just a mock-up portion. the rest could be covered in protective film that they will remove before completion. 

shasta-shasta-orange-12-oz-2-12-ct.jpg

^^^ hush @shastayour little orange can runneth over...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I took this photo back in June and was intrigued with the apparent “spider web” like pattern highlighted by the sun within the translucent tubes. 

Something has always looked off to me as the stacked vertical tubes meet - the abutting seams just look dark and unfinished. Could there actually be a film covering the clear glass tubes? 👀

I doubt it, but it’s interesting speculation nonetheless.  

BDC0769F-36A1-4DD5-8110-056B353ACB0A.png

Edited by Stone
Typo
  • Like 5
On 8/29/2020 at 1:33 AM, Stone said:

I took this photo back in June and was intrigued with the apparent “spider web” like pattern highlighted by the sun within the translucent tubes. 

Something has always looked off to me as the stacked vertical tubes meet - the abutting seams just look dark and unfinished. Could there actually be a film covering the clear glass tubes? 👀

I doubt it, but it’s interesting speculation nonetheless.  

BDC0769F-36A1-4DD5-8110-056B353ACB0A.png

Let's wait and see.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Now that you show this view from above, the origin of the "spiderweb" pattern mystery seems so obvious, but damn it if I never considered that the tubes were open on top and would require some sort of covering.

What I want to know is what happens when a pigeon lands on top and sh*!ts through the grating, leaving a nice streak on the inside of these tubes...

• Like 6