Jump to content

Museum of Fine Arts Houston Expansion


MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Recommended Posts

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, bobruss said:

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

 

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

 

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

Something I focused on last night while walking across the plaza is how related the Chillida sculpture, that was moved from the Mecom Fountain side of the original museum to front and center in the plaza. The sculpture and building play a magical game of mimicry with the angles and materials so closely in line with each other. There is a harmony that develops between the building and that sculpture. I don't know if it was intentional but I like it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2018 at 6:03 PM, hindesky said:

Didn't realize till today that the bean had a concave side to it. They had the Grand Opening today.

V6660h4.jpg


It took me a while to realize, but its actually completely hollow. I thought it was a shallow concave on the north side, but its totally open to the inside of cloud column.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...or the decapitated white-washed horse carcus, which has been suspended from the ceiling.  This place looks a little Saks-Fancy for the Museum.  Definitely going for the "Ladies-who-Lunch" look.  But...maybe that's just the crowd that mfaH is reaching out to. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

...or the decapitated white-washed horse carcus, which has been suspended from the ceiling.  This place looks a little Saks-Fancy for the Museum.  Definitely going for the "Ladies-who-Lunch" look.  But...maybe that's just the crowd that mfaH is reaching out to. 

 

Yeah agreed, 99% of the artists whose work the museum shows would not have gone near this place. Conservative estimate.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The room has to be gorgeous.  But, it also has to be welcoming to people who will be attending the mhaH campus, IMO.  Even if it's an expensive place, you would want to feel welcome if you'd just spent 30 minutes hiking up and down the Glassell Schools Roof (all sweaty) and not just when your dressed in something flirty or in business casual, as a starting point.  Oh, and I think, just maybe, the room could focus on great art (certainly there is plenty of inspiration) and not on trendy brass accents.  Doesn't seem as though there would be room for art at all in this concept...unless that is what the horse chandelier, of course.  All just IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

...or the decapitated white-washed horse carcus, which has been suspended from the ceiling.  This place looks a little Saks-Fancy for the Museum.  Definitely going for the "Ladies-who-Lunch" look.  But...maybe that's just the crowd that mfaH is reaching out to. 

It’s certainly an upgrade from the current IKEA cafeteria.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

A little hard to see in this photo, but they've gone above ground now with the rebar.  Also, in the background it seem they are assembling another crane, behind the church.  Is this related or another project?

 

https://i.imgur.com/PAotpAn.jpg

 

Sorry, you will have to click the link to see the photo.  HAIF no longer seems to allow embedding images for me, and I've tried multiple browsers and multiple computers so it seems something is broken on their site.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

A little hard to see in this photo, but they've gone above ground now with the rebar.  Also, in the background it seem they are assembling another crane, behind the church.  Is this related or another project?

 

https://i.imgur.com/PAotpAn.jpg

 

Sorry, you will have to click the link to see the photo.  HAIF no longer seems to allow embedding images for me, and I've tried multiple browsers and multiple computers so it seems something is broken on their site.

 

I think the other crane might be for the project in this thread...

 

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38814-first-presbyterian-church-early-childhood-school

 

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...