nmainguy

Museum of Fine Arts Houston Expansion

13 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-met-houston-bean-0328-chicago-inc-20180327-story.html

Hilarious article in the Chicago Tribune. They are sounding very insecure...

reading the comments is a much more worthwhile endeavor. a couple of my favorites:

"Kapoor is obviously interested in selling overpriced Mirrored Monoliths to any and all takers. This version couldn't be creepier if Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott attended the dedication ceremony."

"I don't think they moved from Chicago. Odds are they were shot." 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chicagoinc/ct-met-houston-bean-0328-chicago-inc-20180327-story.html

Hilarious article in the Chicago Tribune. They are sounding very insecure...

That's probably one of the worst titles I've seen in an article this year.

The "Reporter" sounds like a resentful, hateful b*tch almost to the point where I question if she is being sarcastic or ironic.

If we are really that irrelevant and a "cultural abyss" then you don't talk about it, because its not worth talking about. People need to understand the definitions of the words they are using. Something spell check doesn't fix! I don't even care if this is an opinion piece. A person who is associated with a paper should be professional and literate.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

I detect a chip on this Chicagoan shoulder.

Personally I love visiting Chicago. Nevertheless the fact is in the last seven years our MSA added 945,000 people and theirs 61,700. Huge numbers of people find us a much more attractive place to live. Maybe instead of childish put downs they should study why this is so. In the meantime they better get ready to be passed up.

Edited by Twinsanity02
error
  • Like 4

So what's in the bicycle tires to get you up that high? :ph34r:

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, hindesky said:

Working on Sunday on the steps. Is this still shooting for a May grand opening?

Yes.  May 20

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

On 4/3/2018 at 10:56 PM, mollusk said:

So what's in the bicycle tires to get you up that high? :ph34r:

Maybe this

1.jpg

Edited by Timoric
  • Like 5

Wow! This expansion looks great. Next time I am in Houston I will have to check it out. All we are getting in Atlanta is ANOTHER aquarium expansion. -_-

• Like 3

this thing looks like a "plug" I saw in a "art film" one time. can't wait to get my selfie.

Edited by LarryDierker
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Looks amazing. I play music with Joseph Havel, whose the director of the school, and he invited us tonight. Can't wait!

• Like 3

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, bobruss said:

Go see the new building. It's remarkable! The plaza is perfect. Once the  landscaping has time to take hold, it will soften the plaza, The building has such a powerful presence with its large angled concrete walls and glass in such a mesmerizing  pattern, kind of abstract sculpture. 

I really liked the repurposing of the glass blocks from the old Glassell school in a transition wall from the sculpture garden into the Plaza.

The Kapoor sculpture is perfect in the space, and the way it relates to the building,  and the water. The water feature is a pleasant break before entering an incredibly interesting interior space.

The natural lighting in this building is remarkable. All of the very clean studios have a wonderful luminescence emanating from the large windows sheathed in white. The main lobby and grand stairwell are almost overwhelming. Could be used as a great indoor amphitheater or concert space.  The second floor exhibition space is clean and hung with works being auctioned by CORE grads. It's a very nice selection. Rode the elevator to The Rooftop, and it's, well you just have to go up there. It's huge!. What a place for a party. The views of downtown and the med center are excellent and we had drinks on the roof. No waivers required.

We walked down the ramp roof, and it's covered in jasmine, with very easy steps and nice rails. Theres another outdoor amphitheater built into the ramp of wooden steps and use as seating.

The food and drinks were over the top. Wish I could share images. Don't miss it Sunday.

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Luminare said:

Thats what I noticed about the building from these photos. it seems so abstract, yet it seems contextual when take into account its neighbor, the sculpture garden. Its as if the garden was a genesis for the building itself and informed the architecture. It definitely has a sculptural quality to it, yet from the plans i've seen it also seems well balanced with the practical needs of school. I will certainly be visiting this on Sunday!

Something I focused on last night while walking across the plaza is how related the Chillida sculpture, that was moved from the Mecom Fountain side of the original museum to front and center in the plaza. The sculpture and building play a magical game of mimicry with the angles and materials so closely in line with each other. There is a harmony that develops between the building and that sculpture. I don't know if it was intentional but I like it. 

• Like 3

Wow how cool! Thanks for all the updates and photos! Cant wait to check it all out soon! 

• Like 3

On 5/20/2018 at 6:03 PM, hindesky said:

Didn't realize till today that the bean had a concave side to it. They had the Grand Opening today.

V6660h4.jpg

It took me a while to realize, but its actually completely hollow. I thought it was a shallow concave on the north side, but its totally open to the inside of cloud column.

• Like 3

On 5/16/2018 at 7:58 PM, hindesky said:

I hope they will soon do some mildew remediation on this building. Houston seems to have particularly tough problem with this issue. 

diPF6w9.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, corbs315 said:

Anthony Bourdain and a man with a bowler hat walk into a bar...

And a woman out of the Hunger Games...

• Haha 2

...or the decapitated white-washed horse carcus, which has been suspended from the ceiling.  This place looks a little Saks-Fancy for the Museum.  Definitely going for the "Ladies-who-Lunch" look.  But...maybe that's just the crowd that mfaH is reaching out to. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Naviguessor said:

...or the decapitated white-washed horse carcus, which has been suspended from the ceiling.  This place looks a little Saks-Fancy for the Museum.  Definitely going for the "Ladies-who-Lunch" look.  But...maybe that's just the crowd that mfaH is reaching out to. 

Yeah agreed, 99% of the artists whose work the museum shows would not have gone near this place. Conservative estimate.

• Thanks 1

The room has to be gorgeous.  But, it also has to be welcoming to people who will be attending the mhaH campus, IMO.  Even if it's an expensive place, you would want to feel welcome if you'd just spent 30 minutes hiking up and down the Glassell Schools Roof (all sweaty) and not just when your dressed in something flirty or in business casual, as a starting point.  Oh, and I think, just maybe, the room could focus on great art (certainly there is plenty of inspiration) and not on trendy brass accents.  Doesn't seem as though there would be room for art at all in this concept...unless that is what the horse chandelier, of course.  All just IMO. 

3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

It’s certainly an upgrade from the current IKEA cafeteria.

On 6/7/2018 at 7:08 AM, corbs315 said:

Anthony Bourdain and a man with a bowler hat walk into a bar...

Well this comment didn't age well :(

Edited by corbs315

Went here tonight with my family.  Reminds me somewhat ( without trying to overstate) of the Getty museum view. Very pleasant well designed area. I can't say enough positive things about it. 

20 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Interesting - the popsicles can pass for art.

They are things of beauty to some.

2 hours ago, mollusk said:

duplicate deleted

Edited by Timoric

3 hours ago, mollusk said:

I find them impressive myself. Perhaps on par with some contemporary art.

A little hard to see in this photo, but they've gone above ground now with the rebar.  Also, in the background it seem they are assembling another crane, behind the church.  Is this related or another project?

https://i.imgur.com/PAotpAn.jpg

Sorry, you will have to click the link to see the photo.  HAIF no longer seems to allow embedding images for me, and I've tried multiple browsers and multiple computers so it seems something is broken on their site.

1 hour ago, rechlin said:

A little hard to see in this photo, but they've gone above ground now with the rebar.  Also, in the background it seem they are assembling another crane, behind the church.  Is this related or another project?

https://i.imgur.com/PAotpAn.jpg

Sorry, you will have to click the link to see the photo.  HAIF no longer seems to allow embedding images for me, and I've tried multiple browsers and multiple computers so it seems something is broken on their site.

I think the other crane might be for the project in this thread...

http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/38814-first-presbyterian-church-early-childhood-school

Edited by ChannelTwoNews