I think the "starchitect" approach is the wrong one for MFAH. Better to hold a competition and get a good design than to just pay for a big name and get another box like the Beck. They will face a serious challenge with any new addition. A new building will have to somehow complement the existing structures without overwhelming them, so something too radical probably won't happen. There will be additional constraints from trying to integrate the physical spaces of three buildings on three different blocks in some coherent manner. Finally, the relatively small footprint and square block size will dictate some of the design. Finally (unfortunately), Houston is extremely conservative when it comes to architecture, so I think the museum would back off from anything too cutting edge.

Actually, it was exactly these constraints that explain some of the design of the Beck building. It was designed to maximize area within the block, hence the efficient but boring "big box". Also it had to be taller than the Law building while not overshadowing the Mies facade, which was meant to remain the focal point, hence the plain unadorned look. As much as I dislike it, I can understand how Moneo came up with it.

I think the "starchitect" approach is the wrong one for MFAH. Better to hold a competition and get a good design than to just pay for a big name and get another box like the Beck. They will face a serious challenge with any new addition. A new building will have to somehow complement the existing structures without overwhelming them, so something too radical probably won't happen. There will be additional constraints from trying to integrate the physical spaces of three buildings on three different blocks in some coherent manner. Finally, the relatively small footprint and square block size will dictate some of the design. Finally (unfortunately), Houston is extremely conservative when it comes to architecture, so I think the museum would back off from anything too cutting edge.

Actually, it was exactly these constraints that explain some of the design of the Beck building. It was designed to maximize area within the block, hence the efficient but boring "big box". Also it had to be taller than the Law building while not overshadowing the Mies facade, which was meant to remain the focal point, hence the plain unadorned look. As much as I dislike it, I can understand how Moneo came up with it.

Architect's fees are often only a small percentage of the total construction cost.

The Main St. property north of First Pres is quite large.

The original William Ward Watkin building is distinctly opposed to the 2 Mies additions. Likewise, the Mies additions are wildly different from the Moneo. If you weren't familiar with the MFA and stood back and looked at the 2 you would have no idea they are related.

building2i1.jpgbuilding1i2.jpg

This is a great chance to have the best without the constraints of site and provenceal attitudes. When both Mies were constructed, they were seen as radical-I'm old enough to remember-unfortunatly :P ].

B)

"The Museum Has Three Faces"

The original Watkins building is totally different from the Mies additions, but it is generally hard to see them together so it isn't quite as incongruous as it sounds, or could have been. I believe I read at the time the Beck was added that the main common point of reference between the Beck and Mies was the use of the same colored stonework facing. Other than that, the Beck avoids clashing with the Mies building mainly by being as featureless as possible. You are right that there is no stylistic continuity, which is a shame. I'm not saying the Beck should have copied the Mies, but perhaps at least echoed it enough to suggest that the buildings were related.

Another MFAH addition could be a great opportunity to put Houston back on the architecture map where it once was, but I'm not getting my hopes up that anything great will happen, although I have no doubt they will hire a big name for the design.

This is a great chance to have the best without the constraints of site and provenceal attitudes. When both Mies were constructed, they were seen as radical

That's interesting they were thought of as radical, since today it seems pretty subdued, like a corporate office. Were they unpopular at the time, or were they accepted quickly?

That's interesting they were thought of as radical, since today it seems pretty subdued, like a corporate office. Were they unpopular at the time, or were they accepted quickly?

I think people were stunned and curious at the time but once they stepped inside, all that melted away. It was-and still is-just a fantastic way to display art of all types and sizes. People latched onto it almost immediatly and have loved it ever since.

B)

A new building is in the talking stages for the MFA. It would mainly house the 20th century and contemporary collections.

The museum has 3 sites in mind. One is at the current garage location on Fannin. Another is across Binz from the garage and a third is north of the Mies wing off Main.

There are any number of world-class architects worthy of the job. I'd like to hear any suggestions you might have regarding the selection.

Here's a few of mine:

Renzo Piano [Menil Collection; Cy Twombly]

03big.jpg

06big.jpg

Yoshio Taniguchi [MOMA and the new Aisa Museum in Houston]

Exterior_moma.jpg

Zaha Hadid [Rosenthal Center for Contemporary Art, Cincinnati]

Hadid-CAC-photo-3.jpg

c3.jpg

Rem Koolhaas [seattle Public Library]

20000709mag-kool.13.jpg

Those are but a few of my choices for architect.

If you could add any pictures with your choices, that would be great.

As always,

B)

Excellent examples. I think Houston needs just this sort of thing.

Here's another great builidng that would be a good museum. It's part of the University of Cincinnati.

VontzCenter-001.jpg

It's nice to see a Frank Gehry that's not all shiny and reflective.

If Frank Gehry did get the commision for the mext MFA then perhaps he could break from his own mold of curvy, drunken designs - they are "neat" but not to my taste and look better in the middle of the woods given the organic nature of his buildings (alumnium siding not withstanding).

Perhaps even:

Lake/Flato

Miller Hull? - they might have to leave the Northwest School behind for this one

Antoine Predock

Herzog de Meuron

If Frank Gehry did get the commision for the mext MFA then perhaps he could break from his own mold of curvy, drunken designs - they are "neat" but not to my taste and look better in the middle of the woods given the organic nature of his buildings (alumnium siding not withstanding).

True enough. Problem is that Gehry is a victim of his own success, and clients demand that curvy Gehry look. I read that for his Millenium Park commission he originally came up with something different, but they went back to him and requested the trademark swirling metal. I suspect that by the time the new MFAH is commissioned he will be considered kind of dated and 1990s.

I agree with Bach on the Ando. Something like the Ft. Worth Modern art museum would look great with the existing MFAH buildings.

• 1 year later...

Did anyone else have the chance to see Eric Kuhne at the Brown Auditorium at the MFAH on September 12?

Very interesting man to listen to. And his projects in Europe and Central Asia were fantastic. We only saw his large-scale projects and not his smaller ones (such as those that would be applicable to inner-loop Houston), but it was still a fascinating presentation.

His theories concerning architectural purpose and intent were great. I'm no architect, so if someone else saw this presentation, please elaborate on this more eloquently than I'm able to.

Did anyone else have the chance to see Eric Kuhne at the Brown Auditorium at the MFAH on September 12?

Very interesting man to listen to. And his projects in Europe and Central Asia were fantastic. We only saw his large-scale projects and not his smaller ones (such as those that would be applicable to inner-loop Houston), but it was still a fascinating presentation.

His theories concerning architectural purpose and intent were great. I'm no architect, so if someone else saw this presentation, please elaborate on this more eloquently than I'm able to.

I wish I could have seen the exhibit. In general,most architects are very interesting,and very cool people. The imagination involved in designing is a gift that very few people have. NOW,SO many people rely on CAD. My dad would design,and then make a model of what he wanted to achieve. I think you did a very good job,on reporting about the exhibit. THANK YOU!!!

• 1 month later...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home

Oct. 29 (Bloomberg) -- Houston's Museum of Fine Arts was the top recipient of private donations among U.S. arts organizations in 2006, with a total of $185.8 million, according to a survey by the Chronicle of Philanthropy released today.

New York's Museum of Modern Art was No. 2 in the survey, with $133.5 million raised.

Yeah they are fundraising machines, too bad they seem to do that more than interesting exhibits. One of their last shows featured dog portraits. How interesting...

:lol::lol::lol:

They used to have live jazz/mixers every Thursday. Guess its been done away with unless your a member. This place has some great networking events going on year round, surprising how many people are unaware. Just minutes from everyone too. All ages need to be in tune with the fine arts. This woudl be a great Haif meet, serious.

Yeah they are fundraising machines, too bad they seem to do that more than interesting exhibits. One of their last shows featured dog portraits. How interesting...

Actually, it was a nicely presented show that featured excellent works from both old and modern masters. It had great appeal for that large segment of the public who can't relate to the chic blockbuster Basquiat, another recent exhibit at MFAH.

The costs of putting on a major exhibit are staggering. In other countries, government funding bankrolls museums. In America, they are supported by the private sector. Securing the loan of art from any museum requires planning and negotiations that can go on for several years.

What type of show would you like to see at MFAH?

I hope MFAH will consider going back to their former policy of not charging a general admission fee. Money hardly seems to be the issue anymore.

Here's to Thursdays! (or being a member).

Actually, $7 isn't all that bad -

MOMA NY is $20, DeYoung SF is $10, MOCA Chicago suggests $10, Guggenheim is $18, and Metropolitan Museum of Art suggests $20.

Of course the Getty, most of the Smithsonian, National Gallery, Archicenter Chicago, and the LACMA and MOCA (LA) among many other larger institutions are free.

Has anyone seen Houston Wilderness or the Damien Hirst sculpture at the MFAH? It has been a while since i have been.

I think it moved over to the Museum of Natural Science, called Mixers & Elixers.

:lol::lol::lol:

They used to have live jazz/mixers every Thursday. Guess its been done away with unless your a member. This place has some great networking events going on year round, surprising how many people are unaware. Just minutes from everyone too. All ages need to be in tune with the fine arts. This woudl be a great Haif meet, serious.

They should "suggest" $10 or $15, but then let people in who just pay a nickel. That will give it that sort of noblesse oblige air of one of the great museums.

In order to do this, the shortfall would have to be underwritten by a foundation or an individual with deep pockets.

Houston is a latecomer in the ranks of U.S. cities with first-class art museums. It has some catching up to do.

Sometimes, a museum without general admission fees will charge for tickets to a "blockbuster" exhibit in order to offset the astronomical costs of putting on such a show.

• 5 months later...

Anyone from the messageboard planning to go check out the screening at MFAH this Sunday? Might be a nice opportunity for an unofficial HAIF meet, or at least a HAIF: Washington Terrace/Riverside Terrace/Riverside area members meet.