Houston Wikipedia Article

wxman

I have no idea why this bothers me so much but it does: somebody continues to change the population figures for the Houston area to old data. Some bozo continues to say that the Houston metro has 5.9 million when in fact the latest figures, posted in HBJ, shows a population of over 6.1 million and ranking 5th in overall metro size. Somebody continues to revert it back to the old info saying we are 6th with 5.9. I'm really getting pissy about it. I've even cited my info. and they still change it back. Any suggestions?

The Wikipedia police are Nazis. I had the same problem with something a few years back (I can't even remember what it was anymore, but I know I was right), where I changed it and they changed it back and I changed it again and some moderator or editor or whatever sent me a message saying that I would be banned from Wikipedia if I changed it again. I guess it has to conform to whatever crazy standards they have. But I would suggest either writing on the "talk" page and asking why they keep changing it back even though you are updating it with correct, cited information, or looking at the history of the page and seeing who keeps undoing your changes and sending him a message.

I have no idea why this bothers me so much but it does: somebody continues to change the population figures for the Houston area to old data. Some bozo continues to say that the Houston metro has 5.9 million when in fact the latest figures, posted in HBJ, shows a population of over 6.1 million and ranking 5th in overall metro size. Somebody continues to revert it back to the old info saying we are 6th with 5.9. I'm really getting pissy about it. I've even cited my info. and they still change it back. Any suggestions?

same thing I do with vandals. Just do a simple revert. If its a continueal thing, bring up with the Dispute resolution noticeboard. They might help direct you in the proper direction.

Wikipedia is using US Census estimates in order to keep the numbers consistent across various cities and states. The number you are using is a private company's estimate of population. That company's estimate may in fact be more accurate, since the Census has not updated estimates since 2010. However, to do so would skew the consistency when comparing cities.

Archived