New Baylor Football Stadium

lockmat

31 members have voted

1. 1. If built, will this new stadium help recruiting?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because I haven't contributed photo-wise in forever, and just happened to be in the area yesterday, as I was heading back to H-town...

DSC00385_zpse3cb0878.jpg

DSC00388_zpsd6a4f651.jpg

your photo of the west side came out much better than my shot through the windshield with a glare. you can get a much better feel for how it actually appears in person, in your pictures.

i happened to be driving down MLK yesterday showing an older friend of mine the construction around the stadium, and noticed (besides the fact they are straightening MLK from where it turns on NE on E 11th, southeast to the overpass your second photo is coming up on, along with new access roads from 77/La Salle to the new stretch of MLK for an alternate route to/from the stadium) that they are putting in another section of road along side MLK between i35 and 77/La Salle, to expand MLK from the current 2 lane configuration, to 4 lanes separated by a median. i dont even think a 4 lane road will be sufficient for game day traffic, but i guess they are hoping most people walk to the stadium from campus or the downtown area.

hopefully TXDOT speeds up the access roads on 35 north of the stadium. i heard they werent supposed to open until a year after the stadium is open, which would make traffic interesting for the first year.

2014 homecoming is going to be awesome. 

Now if they could only put the station for my imaginary HSR line from Houston to Waco next to campus I'd be set.  We'll need to reroute the Houston station to the Energy Corridor, though.  :P

I know it's only been 2 days but I was heading to class and noticed something strange on the roof of the newest/last segment of the roof structure they just installed. A tree! I had no idea the "construction tree" would make an appearance at the stadium (it's my first time seeing a construction tree in person), and especially didn't expect it to come literally the same day they put up the last beam for the roof.. It seems like skyhouses structure was complete for at least a week before a tree finally popped up..

5004B955-0A13-4154-B3D5-40B86BAE99C9_zps

97EF00D5-450C-4807-A001-8F105E9686D8_zps

And they got that beam that was sitting on the barge installed..

3E1CFF7A-580C-4D52-AB55-37DC26B22B36_zps

Just down the river are the barges getting new beams ready to install..

DB447824-C439-4909-AA38-4AA35199F5B8_zps

I'm assuming the bridge span will be complete by the end of next week.. If I counted correctly there are 7-8 more sections to go.

unfortunately my estimate of the bridge span completion was wrong. they have gotten two segments in since the last update (the two that run parallel to the newest two in the last update), and the barge cranes have been parked near the track and field stadium site since the weekend. we have had some high wind advisories and of course the freezing weather.

my reasoning for updating though was because i saw a truck taking soil samples today at the site for the new Athletics Nutrition Center..

"What Baylor football coaches are calling the “next step” in the program’s development arrived Friday, as the school announced plans for the Beauchamp Athletics Nutrition Center.

The 12,000 to 14,000-square foot athletic dining hall will be located adjacent to the Baylor Marina, just across the parking lot from the Simpson Academic Center and the Allison Indoor Practice Facility. Essentially, Baylor’s football players will be able to practice, visit their tutors and grab a bite to eat all within a short walk of each other, “one-stop shopping,” as Baylor strength coach Kaz Kazadi put it."

88B51ECC-20D1-4739-B321-D1BDB58F7125_zps

44892AB2-34E0-4FBA-8E3B-F0D73159CE10_zps

and of course the Nutrition Center..

215827.jpg

Bonus.. a recent close up interior shot of the stadium i found.

mclanestadium-jan14.jpg

woah.. when i was searching trying to find out what those sand pit looking things were i found these plans for campus..

everything from the SLC being doubled in size to new trail systems and an island in the Waco Creek, to the Music and Arts buildings being conjoined by a new large building, the Engineering building doubling in size, new pedestrian malls and road layouts, and a much expanded East Village.
209976.jpg

Well I lied. I drove by again and they just installed 2 beams but something big just went down at the bridge site.. There were cops everywhere and a few fire trucks and what not. We got shooed away by the cops but as we were leaving we passed what looked like a media photographer (had 2 large cameras with him) walking back towards the site. I presume we'll hear something about it on the local news..

FEFD756B-2FB4-4A49-B35D-FC085E7E38C4_zps

Well I lied. I drove by again and they just installed 2 beams but something big just went down at the bridge site.. There were cops everywhere and a few fire trucks and what not. We got shooed away by the cops but as we were leaving we passed what looked like a media photographer (had 2 large cameras with him) walking back towards the site. I presume we'll hear something about it on the local news..

Looks like the commotion may have been someone who fell or jumped into the water nearby.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/Rescuers-Respond-To-Report-Of-Person-In-Brazos-River-242473941.html

damn.. kwtx just updated their facebook.. the guy is still missing. not looking good... my thoughts go out to the worker and his family, unfortunately i have a feeling the dive team will find his body still strapped onto the scissor lift. :/

Have they named the pedestrian bridge after anyone yet? Maybe they can name it after the worker who gave his life for Baylor..

What are they doing in the top right half of the rendering?  I see the track and field area, but what's that between it an the stadium that looks like a series of giant rectangular sand traps?

If you're talking about that rectangular peninsula inbetween the track stadium and the football stadium, it will be tailgating spots and I believe there might be an amphitheater of some sort. Can't remember. 

What are they doing in the top right half of the rendering?  I see the track and field area, but what's that between it an the stadium that looks like a series of giant rectangular sand traps?

If you're talking about that rectangular peninsula inbetween the track stadium and the football stadium, it will be tailgating spots and I believe there might be an amphitheater of some sort. Can't remember. 

• 2 weeks later...

haha, unfortunately i grew up in the age of cell phones, so ive been multitasking behind the wheel ever since i learned to drive. i agree, its not the safest, but i try not to use my phone or w/e else when there arent many cars around (it was mainly just an 18 wheeler in front of me for this vid).

anyways i figured some people would appreciate the video of driving between the new hybrid/suspension bridges and going around the back(front?) side of the stadium that never really gets seen, and include the staging site for construction along with the track and field site.

• 3 weeks later...

we discovered a series of neat old cantilevered concrete docks along the river yesterday that provide pretty nice views of the stadium.. (we never really wandered to the west before, by the Texas Ranger Museum/behind the grave yard.. we mainly just go behind the law school, so i cant say the docks were too hidden).

093D5219-3BAF-46FF-933F-41D5FBCAC69D_zps

B8392FDE-14C6-43D4-A5E4-AEB27F582ED1_zps

45FBD749-95D9-422C-9EBE-3EAFA95CCFB9_zps

7EB1E756-111E-44BB-915D-C0A594240FF7_zps

7CF9CFD4-E894-4BFC-9C92-1A34D105E7BA_zps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived