ISO a cool place to live

KristinDaugherty

I currently live at Chateaux Dijon, and the construction next door is killing us. Seven in the morning, jackhammers and bulldozers, right outside my bedroom, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. The noise itself is bad - ballistic ear plugs don't handle it - but the vibration is far worse. The whole building is shaking.

There are no more units in the Mustard House to be had, so I am sad to think we gotta look elsewhere. (The amount of money this will cost is gonna be ridiculous, but sleep is important.)

Can anyone recommend quaint, funky apartments or condos or townhomes or similar, preferably that don't cost more than a house? We both work in the Galleria, so of course we'd love to stay in the area, but if we gotta get further out, we gotta.

I would start by going to www.har.com and put in your location/price preferences and see what comes up...there are things all over the map with regards to price, location, etc..so I doubt you will have any trouble finding things - whether you would want to live there...that would be up to you!! Happy hunting!!

I currently live at Chateaux Dijon, and the construction next door is killing us. Seven in the morning, jackhammers and bulldozers, right outside my bedroom, SEVEN DAYS A WEEK. The noise itself is bad - ballistic ear plugs don't handle it - but the vibration is far worse. The whole building is shaking.

Ride it out, especially if you don't plan on buying a home anytime soon. What's the point of moving when 6 months from now, all the major construction will be done...just my 2 cents.

Not worth the move.

Because it's awful. The building - which was built in 1963, so you know it's solid - shakes. Not like the downtown tall buildings do in the wind - I'm talking, like, pictures vibrating on the wall.

And I'm not sure where you got six months from; we're being told December, so more like double that.

Well, I pulled it from my rear, but all the major stuff you talk about, the jackhammer, bulldozer etc, that's all foundation related, it won't take until next December to get the foundation down and columns placed.

The rest of the build out should be quieter, and likely the Sunday work day will go away when it slows down. Surprised they are working on Sundays now, but that can only mean they are on an aggressive schedule to complete the project faster, which actually is good for you.

None of that is comforting to someone who cannot sleep in my own home. There's no way to soundproof sliding glass doors, and a building built in 1963 is as sturdy as they come.

Hence my original question. I can get on HAR.com or flip through that little grocery-store mag all day, but that won't tell me what I'm looking to know.

None of that is comforting to someone who cannot sleep in my own home. There's no way to soundproof sliding glass doors, and a building built in 1963 is as sturdy as they come.

Hence my original question. I can get on HAR.com or flip through that little grocery-store mag all day, but that won't tell me what I'm looking to know.

I feel for you - I have lived in noisy places (or places with noisy neighbors) that drive you crazy.....sometimes to move is the only solution...

It's going to be hard for anyone to "tell me what I'm looking to know" without some more details....that's why I recommended har.com...

What price range are you looking for? are schools important? how far away from the Galleria area?

The Chateux is pretty big, how about the Rice end of the property? Is there anything there.

Also, those Walden Internet Communities are nice, both the one near you and the one in Westchase.

I think that's out of our price range, but I'll check. Thanks!

I think it's close, it's on the older side of new (if that makes any sense). There is also that Plantations place on Sage and the Carriage Square Apartments on McCue, the Maquee West or whatever they are calling it looks too cheap but who knows. 3000 Sage and Montecito will be out of the price range you are looking for.

If it is that type of place you are looking for you might want to contact a realtor as there are condo's around for rent. The realtor in most cases won't charge you anything, the finder fees would be paid by the owner.

• 1 month later...

Archived