Vintage Park Shopping Village Developments

Specialty apparell retailers are the usually the earliest and hardest hit in bad ecomonies. I don't know aobut Q2, but Talbots, for example, had profits down 70% in Q1 and same-store sales across the entire sector are going from bad to worse. Everyone's tightening inventories. I wouldn't hold out much hope for new locations this year.

Isn't there a huge new 'upscale' outlet store on that side of town? I'd reckon its proximity is close enough that those types of retailers wouldn't be too interested in an HEB-anchored center.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The first suburban El Tiempo Cantina restaurant is coming to Vintage Park, opening in March.

They seem to really be expanding. I saw on a new development list on the College Station website that said one is going to built there. Pretty damn good tacos.

Objectively the best tacos in Texas*

Maybe some people at La Centerra in Cinco Ranch can help out Vintage Center ;) .

I think many of the places we are talking about are already available in the area, except for the big furniture places, a lot of these retailers are already in Willowbrook or on 1960 near Champions Forest. If they have a store already, and with the economy where it is, why would they move from a place with low rent to a shoping center whose only major tenent is a grocery store and some lunch places. It's not like Willowbrook or Champions Forest are low traffic or anything. If, for example White House Black Market or Ann Taylor were to move from Champions Forest and Willowbrook, respectively, to Vintage, do you really think their sales would skyrocket? They wuold have the same basic customers they do now, so why pay more?

They need to get a bookstore, furniture, and clothing retail, but they need to lower the rent to make it happen...

Isn't there a huge new 'upscale' outlet store on that side of town? I'd reckon its proximity is close enough that those types of retailers wouldn't be too interested in an HEB-anchored center.

The outlet mall is 20 minutes or more from Vintage Park.

I'm sure they've done what they can for the rent. It's not as if there is a line of retailers waiting for a spot at the Vintage (or at least it seems there isn't). Instead, the Vintage people need to go out and attract retailers. If the rent is so high that they can't get anyone there, they won't get any money at all. I'd say, even for someone who doesn't own their own business, that's just bad business.

Bookstores seem to be a touchy business. The old Champions Barnes and Noble has been where it is for a very long time and Borders is doing extremely poorly. There aren't any major book sellers that even exist except Books a Million which sticks with malls and you may find one in an entire city.

Waiting for the economy to get better is not the way to go. You have to be aggressive and get a head start on things so that when it does get better, you'd already have something established.

I'd bet many people have lost jobs, packed up and moved, or just plain quit this project, which is putting things in more delay.

I know it's repetitive but WOW, just WOW to how this thing has becomes such a mess.

I heard a report this morning on the radio (KTRH 740) that outdoor retail malls are on the way out and it's not expected that many more will not be developed in the country, or even in the Houston area. Apparently, they do not attract much business, even in the good times.

I heard a report this morning on the radio (KTRH 740) that outdoor retail malls are on the way out and it's not expected that many more will not be developed in the country, or even in the Houston area. Apparently, they do not attract much business, even in the good times.

I can agree with this to a point. However, Market Street and Uptown park are always busy.

I can agree with this to a point. However, Market Street and Uptown park are always busy.

I can't name any other outdoor malls, so Houston is 2/2. The new outlet mall in Cypress is always packed...so maybe 3/3. What about La Centerra in Cinco? I wonder what report said they are doing poorly nationally.

I can't name any other outdoor malls, so Houston is 2/2. The new outlet mall in Cypress is always packed...so maybe 3/3. What about La Centerra in Cinco? I wonder what report said they are doing poorly nationally.

I always thought lacenterra was doing well.

I didn't catch what report they were quoting from, but it didn't sound like they were talking about the "outlet" malls. Also, the Woodlands and Uptown have been established for a few years now. I think it may be fair to say that the Woodlands Market Street didn't really have a lot of competition to pull in stores. It's in a unique position. They have a very nice mall right next door too, but I don't think there is much repetition of stores between the two, if any. Plus, the Woodlands still is a growing community so there is demand. A lot of people also come from outside the Woodlands. I agree with cnote that there is already a huge variety of stores not far from the Vintage Center, so it would really be hard to justify adding another store so close, or even relocate (especially at a higher rent and with the current economy). But there have been a couple of businesses that have relocated.

Anchor stores might be nice, but there does not seem to be any that want to open up new locations at this time. A big book store might be a nice anchor, but they aren't exactly making a lot of money these days as everything seems to be going online. I seem to remember Borders saying that they eventually see all of their business online a few years down the road. They have closed a lot of stores around the country in the last year or two.

If Vintage Park doesn't have a lot of unique stores to draw people in eventually, I can't see the current stores there now staying in business for a long time. Even the restaurants may have a hard time if people don't have reason to "experience" more than just the eating part. I think part of the reason that Market Street is so successful and unique is that there is a variety of things to do there before or after you have dined (good shopping, small concerts in their little park area, miniature golf, river walk, etc.). I just saw where Vintage Park announced some small musical entertainment for the summer, so at least they are trying to get something going.

Vintatge Park recently said they were 50% leased, but much of what they have announced so far is not going to draw big sustained crowds. Here's hoping that the next 50% will create more appealing stores and a more exciting experience.

It is.

So if outdoor malls are doing poorly nationally, they are certainly fine here, except for Vintage that is....I think talk radio is full of it, maybe less outdoor malls are being built because malls in general are slowing down and because of the tightened lending practices in today's economy, but I don't think it is due to a shift in consumer tastes.

I drove through the property today and see there is a lot of activity going on as far as building out spaces.

Cheeburger Cheeburger opened today (July 22).

They've also added more businesses to the site plan, which FINALLY includes a few retail shops (albeit unknown ones).

-Yaya Clothing

-Tot Shop

-Signature Electronics

-Tickled Pink

-Marilyn Clyde (no idea what this is)

-Luminary Gems

-2 "Women's Accessories" stores

-Playtime for Kids ???

Also new are some more places to eat.

-Fresh Berry (yogurt)

-"Ice Cream" (which seems redundant)

-"Asian Restaurant" (also redundant)

-Mission Burrito

I drove through the property today and see there is a lot of activity going on as far as building out spaces.

Cheeburger Cheeburger opened today (July 22).

They've also added more businesses to the site plan, which FINALLY includes a few retail shops (albeit unknown ones).

-Yaya Clothing

-Tot Shop

-Signature Electronics

-Tickled Pink

-Marilyn Clyde (no idea what this is)

-Luminary Gems

-2 "Women's Accessories" stores

-Playtime for Kids ???

Also new are some more places to eat.

-Fresh Berry (yogurt)

-"Ice Cream" (which seems redundant)

-"Asian Restaurant" (also redundant)

-Mission Burrito

Wow, a Mission Burrito, I may actually end up visiting this center after all...

I like the fact they've signed some original sounding tenants and names that I've not heard of in Houston. Of course Mission Burrito is a familiar name and I heartily welcome its arrival.

Edited by mrfootball
I like the fact they've signed some original sounding tenants and names that I've not heard of in Houston. Of course Mission Burrito is a familiar name and I heartily welcome its arrival.

Hopefully Mission Burrito will stay. I've seen some turnover on the site plan over the last several months for those colored Green for Lease Pending...

I didn't catch what report they were quoting from, but it didn't sound like they were talking about the "outlet" malls.

It was probably based on the Wall Street Journal article a couple weeks ago about lifestyle centers, these recent outdoor mall developments like the Vintage. I don't recall outlet malls mentioned in the article.

Edited by looking_in_nw
Hopefully Mission Burrito will stay. I've seen some turnover on the site plan over the last several months for those colored Green for Lease Pending...

Their corporate office has confirmed their intentions to open in this space, also saying they want to put a rush on it to open ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I've ripped on Cheeburger Cheeburger a few times, but I haven't actually tried it... Has anyone been?

While in this area the other day, we were going to try it, but we saw Potbelly and ate there instead. Really good.

Unfortuanately, the center was deserted. :(

I know I've ripped on Cheeburger Cheeburger a few times, but I haven't actually tried it... Has anyone been?

I have eaten at the original in Sanibel Florida many many times for many years and it is great!! I can't wait to try it here

• 3 weeks later...
On Peli-Peli - It's a new concept and was originally listed as Peri-Peri on the vintage park website. I guess they either had a change of heart on the restaurant name or it was a typo originally.

i'll bet it was an asian faux pas.

I think of Houston as Southern because of its geography and palm trees aren't generally found in the South. Also, Galveston doesn't look too tropical and palm trees only look good there because it's the beach. That's my opinion at least.

Well everybodys entitled to their own opinion

and with that said, i dont think of houston as Southern, more southeastern

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Looks like they cleared out some trees right behind the Vintage Park sign right at the corner of 249 and Louetta and look like they are laying some foundation tereh. Anyone have any idea what this might be?

Isn't it a hospital?

Isn't it a hospital?

No, the area in question is directly behind the Vintage Park sign that is on the corner of 249 & Louetta (facing NW). The lot backs up to the HEB Fuel/Car Wash area, so it surely can't be a gas station. However, the lot doesn't look big enough to hold much else. Maybe a fast food joint? Maybe more pumps for HEB?

If you go the site plan online, it would be the space in the far top left corner that is directly behind "sign".

http://www.vintageparkhouston.com/siteplan...teplan=siteplan

Edited by houstongirl
There's something to be said about the success of this place when the big announcement for grand openings on the website are for a dentist office and a place to mail letters.

Watch business pour in for those places. Time to celebrate and have a good time!

There's also highlighted article entitled "Houston We have No Problems" which is not really accurate anymore.

All this place seems to be for now is primarily a food court and banking center (and some real estate and construction type offices taking up space). Of course, the timing for the VC could not have been worse with the economy. But then again, this place didn't really have a lot of tenants before the economy started going south. If this place ever takes off, I don't think it will be until late 2009 at the earliest. It's really too bad. Most other areas that have these type of outdoor shopping areas are pretty successful (Woodlands, Sugarland, Pearland, etc). I can't help but think if somehow this place has just not been marketed well or if something else is wrong. I went to the so called "grand opening" and it was pretty pathetic. Why have a grand opening when there are hardly any tenants. The owner from Pizza Fusion we met at the grand opening seemed to be kind of disgruntled about a few things. Not a positive sign. I just hope the existing businesses don't go belly up while waiting for this place to fill up. I really had high hopes for this place being something exciting for this part of town, but so far it's been a big letdown. Hopefully, things will get better on track next year!

Au Contraire, Sugar Land Town Square has been quite slow to lease up, but many factors there are to blame (bad property management/excessively high leases, the economy, etc). To go along with the economical considerations, many of the shops there bit the dust when they closed nationwide (Bombay, Storehouse, Sharper Image, etc). Compared to The Woodlands/Market Street, SLTS's leasing activity has been quite sluggish, since the site itself is seemingly more isolated than Market Street. The completion of the Minute Maid building, the construction of another office building should add to the demand within this odd enclave. Efforts have been made to connect the town square to other points of interests however, with a new crosswalk, promenade, and new shops between the mall and itself.

Au Contraire, Sugar Land Town Square has been quite slow to lease up, but many factors there are to blame (bad property management/excessively high leases, the economy, etc). To go along with the economical considerations, many of the shops there bit the dust when they closed nationwide (Bombay, Storehouse, Sharper Image, etc). Compared to The Woodlands/Market Street, SLTS's leasing activity has been quite sluggish, since the site itself is seemingly more isolated than Market Street. The completion of the Minute Maid building, the construction of another office building should add to the demand within this odd enclave. Efforts have been made to connect the town square to other points of interests however, with a new crosswalk, promenade, and new shops between the mall and itself.

The above post is correct. Everything's slow. Retailers everywhere are struggling to stay alive. The Woodlands has lost a number of national retailers like Bombay, Sharper Image, Toy Store, etc. If things are slow there, you know its rough all over.

I agree, of course, that things are slow right now. But SLTS, Woodlands Market Street and Pearland Town Center are still way ahead of Vintage Park. Of course, they had a head start and when times were better. They also had many quality retailers signed up ahead of time. VC has almost nothing to write home about yet. Part of this is about bad timing, but VC was not even making much progress before all the bad news started hitting. Market Street and Pearland TC took off pretty quick, but then they didn't have much competition too close by, so there was not a lot of overlap. I really don't know what VC can offer that is not available anywhere else within 5 miles or so. It would be nice to have a couple of well known anchor stores, but I don't think that is going to happen in the current environment, or maybe ever. I just don't want it to mainly be a food court with a bunch of boring retailers I can already find close by.

• 4 weeks later...

Mia Bella was supposed to have opened in December. Does anyone know what the latest on it is?

Also, Peli Peli is supposed to open early 2009. Does anyone have the lasted on that? I am looking forward to trying both of those. Peli Peli particularly sounds interesting.

I drove by yesterday. Mia bella has already started building, but it doesn't look like it will be open anytime soon. Pizza fusion is open though.

Mia Bella was supposed to have opened in December. Does anyone know what the latest on it is?

Also, Peli Peli is supposed to open early 2009. Does anyone have the lasted on that? I am looking forward to trying both of those. Peli Peli particularly sounds interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Old post I know, but knowing you are a Katy-ite... Don't you think that The Vintage Center, more closely resembles "The Villagio" in Cinco Ranch? At least there is life (beyond restaurants) in LaCenterra. Both The Vintage Center and Villagio are overdone "upscale" food courts with too few tennants.

They seem to share the same problem... low occupancy, fabulous "plans" but little actually to show for it. I think the current economy has taken a blow to the Wanna-bees.

You NW folks, will see what I mean if you ever visit a friend in Cinco and drive by The Villagio...

Villagio = Vintage,

same ****=different location

I think Willowbrook Mall being close by hurt this development maybe. For example, La Centerra in Cinco Ranch is just like The Vintage Center. Only difference is, tenants filled up quick at La Centerra and the second phase already has tenants leased I think. The closest normal mall near La Centerra is West Oaks.
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Vintage Park Shopping Village Developments