Vintage Park Shopping Village Developments

mrfootball

Three questions concerning the Vintage Park area.

(1) I noticed on the site a "Coco's" being listed. Does anyone know whether that is one of the Taiwanese fast-food type restaurants or is it the nicer Coco's they have in Ohio?

(2) 25,000 square feet have been designated for a book store. They apparently reserved it for one of the two major chains: Barnes & Noble or Borders. Does anyone know which book store will go up at the Vintage?

(3) Finally, the area near the small lake at Cypresswood and 249 has been owned by HP for a long time. There is scuttle that the area around it will become a park with trails (although I can't see how large it could be). Does anyone know of the status on this? All sites are old and there has been no update.

Thank you!

Three questions concerning the Vintage Park area.

(1) I noticed on the site a "Coco's" being listed. Does anyone know whether that is one of the Taiwanese fast-food type restaurants or is it the nicer Coco's they have in Ohio?

(2) 25,000 square feet have been designated for a book store. They apparently reserved it for one of the two major chains: Barnes & Noble or Borders. Does anyone know which book store will go up at the Vintage?

(3) Finally, the area near the small lake at Cypresswood and 249 has been owned by HP for a long time. There is scuttle that the area around it will become a park with trails (although I can't see how large it could be). Does anyone know of the status on this? All sites are old and there has been no update.

Thank you!

I spoke to Jim Robertson of the CCFCC, and the area around the lakes is supposed to be a key anchor park in the Cypress Creek Greenway project.

I spoke to Jim Robertson of the CCFCC, and the area around the lakes is supposed to be a key anchor park in the Cypress Creek Greenway project.

Thank you for that information.

I read that too and was wondering when it would happen. I'd think that with the Vintage going up, it would follow quickly. However, what I did read was that bit by bit, the land is getting snatched up for other endeavors. I hope there is enough area there to actually enjoy a nice peaceful walk.

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, it looks like they added a lot of stuff to the website today. Still some generic titles, but at least more information. One restaurant is Mia Bella - the most updated list is here:

http://www.vintageparkhouston.com/storesandmore.php

Hi guys, i'm a noob, and just wanted to see if any of u have passed by Vintage Park recently. Some of the buildings have the fnishes on them along w/ molding.....

anyway just curious to see what u guys some r giving thumbs up, while others are giving it thumbs down, lol.

You can tell you are dealing with humans who are mere greedbags when they line the street with 4 bank pad sites in a row - this is built by the kind of person who, with the financial success of the project utterly assured, is still more interested in the fact that banks are able to pay rather higher prices than other retail branches than in the tackiness of their billion-dollar project meeting the street with four minor bank branches in a row.

The website was just updated. Looks like Vintage Park will be getting The Tasting Room, Max's Wine Drive, and Eminence Fine Furniture. Just hope the Vintage can get Crate & Barrel and all the other stores shown on their renderings. :D

The website was just updated. Looks like Vintage Park will be getting The Tasting Room, Max's Wine Drive, and Eminence Fine Furniture. Just hope the Vintage can get Crate & Barrel and all the other stores shown on their renderings. :D

Max's Wine Dive is owned by The Tasting Room, so I'm sure it'll be one or the other.

Ann Taylor

Cheesecake Factory

Ruth's Chris

I spoke to a rather well-connected Real Estate guy tonight at a party who said that his Kickerillo friends said it was going to be an actual Central Market. I still think it'll probably be something more like what they've got in The Woodlands with their hybrid store, but either way I'm a happy camper.

He also said that the Vintage Lakes development wasn't selling as fast as they thought. Of course, I could've told them that when they came in with that Mediterranean-only themed look that's best suited for open space prairies like Katy, Sugar Land, and South Cypress, not forested areas where it tends to look kind of tacky and out of place. Add to that, they're not truly custom-homes, and for $900,000 people might want something in that order. I suspect it'll pick up once the stores open.

Edited by mrfootball

Do you think maybe they killed themselves by surrounding their luxury homes with apartments that hover directly over their lots and cheap townhomes? (The sign is up for the development by Portrait Homes.) They should have used that land for homes in the 250-450K range.

Yes, very good point. I think many of these developers don't quite understand how undesireable it is (from a Homeowners standpoint) to have Apartments outside your neighborhood (regardless of how 'nice' they are). You think they could've been a little smarter in their planning. Afterall, there already was an apartment complex ('Tivoli') located behind the neighborhood.

Edited by mrfootball

Is it just me or does it seem to be taking them a long time to put this thing up?

I'm starting to worry about it's progress. I know it's not going to cease construction, but the site is slow at updating and there doesn't seem to be much going on everytime I drive by. It seems to go in spurts. At this rate, however, it won't be completed until 2008 at least.

I've asked the customer service people at the Woodlands and Champions Barnes & Noble if they knew anything about a new store going up. They didn't know of anything. However, while talking to the people in the Woodlands store, it seems as though Borders is moving totally to online serive and not really putting up any new stores. B&N pretty much has a monopoly for free-standing booksellers.

Yes, I drive by it almost every day. They're making good progress now.

Boy they sure did clear cut the front of Vintage Park (from what i saw from 249 yesterday). If there was a buffer it sure is gone now (in some places).

You'd think they could've left more trees up. Then again, they did the same thing at The Woodlands Market Street when they were constructing it as well, I'm sure they'll go in and replant:

Woodlands Market Street Construction Comparison

Edited by mrfootball

What I've heard is that they've got a really good tenant list and that portion of the project has been successful beyond their expectations. The Vintage Lakes part, not so much (though it does look cool).

Edited by mrfootball

Posting whole articles won't be fine, however, with the authors of the articles. The act of posting whole articles = Copyright infringement

Well since I was the writer of the article, I say it's fine. Post away.

Looks like some REALLY bad news regarding the Vintage Park complex.

The highly anticipated book store (thought to be either Barnes & Noble or Borders) is no longer going up. Looks like it will be replaced by a title company and other "financial" related establishments. I checked the site just a few minutes ago.

Also, there's no mention of a Cheesecake Factory STILL after all of this time that it was rumored. Looks like that's a no-go as well.

So, it seems, that with the exception of a few eateries, the whole thing will be loaded with banks and business offices, hardly appealing to a casual shopper and dinner seekers.

I was afraid that this was going to happen. Unless someone knows otherwise, this doesn't seem to be the cultural area that was anticipated.

Well, it looks like I wasn't too far off in my pessimism.

The book store has been taken off the website.

Also looks like they decided to fill the second floor of one of the buildings in this "cultural" center with a title company.

And still no word about the Cheesecake Factory.

If anyone has heard of what in the world is going on, I think that many of us would love to know. It is hardly ending up being this marketplace like establishment we all hoped it would be. It's sounding more like a typical finance complex.

Coco's is a coffee shop.

Also, Rooster's is a haircut place for guys.

Anyone know what the latest on Ruth's Chris? I would not be surprised if more and more restaurants start pulling themselves out of the project due to a lack of major retail.

Sorry, just in a negative mood. I was getting really really excited about this project which doesn't, at the current moment, seem to be panning out in the way that I had envisioned. I'm sure those who want another place to get their nails and hair done and get a new loan on their house must be pretty excited though lol.

i had read on here a while back that the vintage will also have a new Crate & Barrell. i spoke with my aunt today (who manages the crate & barrell in highland village) and she said it's not true. they have no plans on opening any other locations anytime soon. uggh, another let down. :wacko:

to me, it's oversaturated already....there are 10 to 15 ways to 1960 already if you want to shop and you have enough retail along 249 to satisfy most folks.....in all reality, there isn't that much of a demand for "luxury" shopping like some think - especially out that way

Vintage Park will pull from Champions but apart of Champions sits directly on 1960 so their base is split in half

the next massive neighborhood is planned for Magnolia and unless 249 is a true freeway, they will have their own strip centers to choose from and by then 1488 will be much-improved and offer quick access to The Woodlands...

it's a small gamble and may be some time before it takes off like they want...

to me, it's oversaturated already....there are 10 to 15 ways to 1960 already if you want to shop and you have enough retail along 249 to satisfy most folks.....in all reality, there isn't that much of a demand for "luxury" shopping like some think - especially out that way

Are you kidding?

Most of the development is taking place miles away from 1960, where there is NO COMPETITION in this sector for higher end retail/restaurant offerings and a huge built-in market. Take a drive down Louetta or Spring-Cypress on either side of 249. Those people don't want to have to drive 15-20 minutes to FM 1960.

Edited by mrfootball

I agree with mr.foolsball.

If you live along 249 from Tomball to 1960 (with a 3 mile corridor to the east and over 5 mile corridor west), who would want to drive to The Woodlands or in town for high-end shopping when you can be so much closer at Vintage Park. Actually, this corridor would flair out wider when you travel north. If you look on the Vintage Park website, they show their target market by drive distance.

Champions shopping center (at 1960 and Champion Forest) is a nice option in general. Yet, for those who live in the wedge between 249 and 290, this is not much of a palatable option. Thus, Vintage is a prime access point for this market - at least until the new shopping centers open outside of Fairfield.

With regards to some of the other retail development, I believe that the Crate & Barrel (and a few others) expectation was due to the Vintage website using this name as an example placeholder in some of its representative drawings.

Now, I am the one who posted the info about the Cheesecake Factory. This and some other retailers were told to me confidentially by a CBRE rep working this account. If something has happened to Cheesecake Factory - anything is possible. You can never count a deal is done until the doors are open, IMHO. (I will try to follow up on this if possible.)

I am not too concerned about Vintage because this is same money and talent behind Uptown Park. Sure - it's a different location, but sometimes a market exists waiting for a solution and sometimes a solution creates a market. You have to look no further at Fry's Electronics on 45N to see how this retailer views themselves as a destination, which is true in that it has created a market.

I agree with mr.foolsball.

If you live along 249 from Tomball to 1960 (with a 3 mile corridor to the east and over 5 mile corridor west), who would want to drive to The Woodlands or in town for high-end shopping when you can be so much closer at Vintage Park. Actually, this corridor would flair out wider when you travel north. If you look on the Vintage Park website, they show their target market by drive distance.

Champions shopping center (at 1960 and Champion Forest) is a nice option in general. Yet, for those who live in the wedge between 249 and 290, this is not much of a palatable option. Thus, Vintage is a prime access point for this market - at least until the new shopping centers open outside of Fairfield.

With regards to some of the other retail development, I believe that the Crate & Barrel (and a few others) expectation was due to the Vintage website using this name as an example placeholder in some of its representative drawings.

Now, I am the one who posted the info about the Cheesecake Factory. This and some other retailers were told to me confidentially by a CBRE rep working this account. If something has happened to Cheesecake Factory - anything is possible. You can never count a deal is done until the doors are open, IMHO. (I will try to follow up on this if possible.)

I am not too concerned about Vintage because this is same money and talent behind Uptown Park. Sure - it's a different location, but sometimes a market exists waiting for a solution and sometimes a solution creates a market. You have to look no further at Fry's Electronics on 45N to see how this retailer views themselves as a destination, which is true in that it has created a market.

Well keeping a little optimism, perhaps they took a few titles down from the site until they can land a deal. Maybe they were getting bombarded by phone calls and emails asking which restaurants and which book stores were going up.

The HUGE building just past what will be the entrance will be the showcase building. This building needs something appealing to the masses. This is the building that was designed to be the bookstore. I am stuck on the bookstore thing.

As far as the Cheesecake Factory goes, I heard about that last fall through the grapevine. This was one of the very first rumors going around about the Vintage, before the name Vintage was even thrown out there.

Sounds to me that they laid the groundwork for certain buildings before they landed deals. Maybe they just don't want to confirm anything on their site until deals have officially been made.

But it does seem odd that the deals have not yet been officially made. Right now we only have two confirmed restaurants: Mia Bello and Shogun. Shogun isn't anything spectacular and Mia Bello may begin to get nervous that they won't get the draw.

And still, no opening date for the whole thing?

And still, no opening date for the whole thing?

Looks to me like they're pretty busy on that site. The entire (Vintage Park and the rest of the proposed development) is abuzz with activity.

I would guess late Fall 2007.

Live Webcam

Edited by mrfootball