Vintage Park Shopping Village Developments

mrfootball

With this centralizing of wealth in the area, the Willowbrook Mall might be A) forced to compete, therefore creating 2 great shopping areas. or decline into what the Greenspoint Mall is today, except without the crime, due to the "$$$$$$" shopping on FM 1960.

While I think it will be incredibly cool, I don't think it is of large enough scale to compete with Willowbrook. Willowbrook is consistently one of, if not, the top performing Mall in Houston. It's the only Mall serving an area population of over 700,000 people.

Edited by mrfootball

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like they are trying to build another "Market Street" since they compare households and such to those of The Woodlands.

The website has been updated to include this and much more:

On HEB:

HEB is a dominant company in the Texas grocery market. Famous for its "Central Market" concept, the HEB at Vintage Park will capture the traditional grocery features with expanded Central Market features, offering everything from a sushi bar to outdoor furniture.

Update 5/18/06:

05/18/2006 - Vintage Park Houston

Construction will start in June 2006 on Interfin

Thanks for posting the article.

I'm very excited for this to be opening, and I think its something that's sorely needed out here. I've been somewhat envious of the recent boom in upscale amenities out in the Woodlands considering the solid demographics of the Cypress/Klein/Champions area, which are actually even a bit stronger than that of The Woodlands. This market needs a center like this, and this is the ideal spot for a Town Center, as in effect, we already have the Class A office space built, just across 249 at the Compaq/HP campus.

I'd like to see a Churrasco's go in there, maybe an Escalante's as well and I sure wouldn't mind a Maggiano's or a Pronto's or a Ruggles.

Edited by mrfootball

• 1 month later...

streetmap.jpg

vp_maps_aerial_map.jpg

I wish this was a bit larger, so that I could make out the words.

The Red Areas appear to be slated for Retail

The Khaki Areas appear to reserved for Residential

The Orange Area appears to be reserved for Apts and Condos

Not certain about the areas (dark green & beige) zoned by the lakes and nature preserve. I can't make it out. I'm guessing that might be where the Office/Corporate development will occur. The light green area in the middle appears to say "HP Property".

Edited by mrfootball

Per the Demographic study via the Vintage Lakes website:

FYI - Within a 5 mile radius of 249 and Louetta there are:

139 - $1 Million + Homes

167 - $750,000 - $1 Million Homes

618 - $500,000 - $749,999 Homes

1,353 - $400,000 - $499,999 Homes

2,849 - $300,000 - $399,999 Homes

9,078 - $200,000 - $299,999 Homes

11,408 - $150,000 - $199,999 Homes

2005 Population - 182,507

2010 Est. Population - 211,111

Avg Age - 34.7

Est. Household Size - 2.78

Avg Household Income - $100,529

White - 73%

Hispanic - 15.4%

Black - 5.7%

Asian - 5.2%

Other - .7%

Source:

http://www.vintageparkhouston.com/demographics.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

centralplaza.jpg

http://www.vintageparkhouston.com/siteplan...an=centralplaza

The Collection at Vintage Lakes retail project was designed by Mark Tweed of the HTH Group based in Beverly Hills, Calif. Five restaurants will be situated around a patio plaza area that will contain a fireplace and shooting water fountains.

Edited by mrfootball

Here's an update on Vintage Park:

500,000-SF Retail Play Leads 84-Acre Plan

By Amy Wolff Sorter

Last updated: July 28, 2006 06:45am

HOUSTON-Land once considered in the boonies is now a hotspot for growth as seeds are planted for the first phase of the $1-billion Vintage Park. The northwest Houston development gets under way with a 500,000-sf lifestyle center, an estimated $125-million to $150-million project.

Experts, familiar with the project, tell GlobeSt.com that the 462-acre master-planned development--the former Hewlett-Packard campus--is especially important to the area. Houston-based developer Interfin's first phase will take up 31 of the 84 acres earmarked for lifestyle projects. The center will sit on the southeast corner of the Louella Road-Texas 249 intersection. Just this month, the San Antonio-based grocery chain H-E-B made a 15-acre commitment for a 105,000-sf store. According to Interfin's Matt Waller, discussions are under way for nearly 100,000 sf. The first space will be turned over to tenants in summer 2007 for finish-outs. "The goal is to have this 100% leased by 2008," he tells GlobeSt.com.

"Preleasing hasn't been an issue here," says Curtis Henderson, a CB Richard Ellis vice president in Houston. "We're talking to a whole host of restaurants of every imaginable venue. Lifestyle tenants are looking at it too."

Henderson says the retail quotes range from the upper $20s per sf to the low $30s per sf, triple net. Tenant-improvement allowances are being quoted at $18 per sf for retailers and $30 per sf for restaurants.

http://www.globest.com/retail/news/southwest/20627-1.html

hou_vintageparklouettard.jpg

Thanks for the update Boris.

They've also updated the VintageParkHouston.com website:

archwaydevelopment_web.jpg

entrymonument_web.jpg

Looks like a new Crate & Barrel is going in.

http://www.vintageparkhouston.com/index.php

07/26/2006 - 500,000 SF Upscale Lifestyle Shopping Center Breaks Ground in Northwest Houston.

New Center, developed by Interfin, the creators of Uptown Park, to bring extraordinary European Village atmosphere to area.

Houston, Texas

Edited by mrfootball

Do you honestly think any developer in his right mind would stick a billion dollar town center/lifestyle development inside a gated community?

Kickerillo's new gated community (Vintage Lakes) ;) is across the street from Vintage Park.

Hey, and it looks like they're going to call the hybrid HEB "Vintage Market" :D I sent them an email suggesting that name a few months back...probably just a lucky coincidence! ;)

perspectivesiteplan.jpg

Edited by mrfootball

Guest danax

Looks like a great location. The architecture for Vintage Park looks good too. Nice to see them add the water areas and save a sliver of forest.

On the critical side, the name sounds dumb, but I guess all of the good names are taken. "Come on, honey, let's take a stroll in the piazza". I wonder if in Italy they call things by English names just to sound cool. And we know the retail will just be another scene from the Texas Chain Store Massacre.

As this area gets massively populated in the coming decades, I wonder if they'll ever connect The Woodlands lifestyle centre with this one via water taxis.

As this area gets massively populated in the coming decades, I wonder if they'll ever connect The Woodlands lifestyle centre with this one via water taxis.

These two locations are approximately 20 miles apart and I don't believe there is a waterway that would connect them.

Personally, I like the trees better.

This is just a strip mall with some lipstick on it. Just like Uptown Park, which is about the furthest thing from a European shopping experience you can get... Despite what the massive electronic billboard display alongside Loop 610 tells you as you search the surface parking lots for a parking spot!

This is just a strip mall with some lipstick on it. Just like Uptown Park, which is about the furthest thing from a European shopping experience you can get... Despite what the massive electronic billboard display alongside Loop 610 tells you as you search the surface parking lots for a parking spot!

Not so sure about that. Then again...Highland Village is a 'strip mall' too. As is Town & Country center. This one is a bit different than either of those.

These renderings present the main parking lot view. The primary pedestrian thoroughfare runs through the middle with the main plaza breaking off of that. I'm interested to see how that looks.

perspectivesiteplan.jpg

Edited by mrfootball

I agree with you Mister Football, Highland Village and Town and Country are also just strip malls.

Sorry, but I don't see how a massive amount of surface parking, a big box grocery store with a massive amount of parking that this rendering is conveniently leaving as blank, four drive thru bank pod sites, two additional pod sites, and ONE pedestrian walkway built in such a manner that you have to DRIVE to reach it, is any better than the forest that is currently in place.

While I too like the forest, and value the wooded landscape, I'm also glad they're finally doing something that will really add value to the area. I'm encouraged that they've laid aside land for a park, and have stated that they were going to retain as much tree canopy as possible. I'm not sure where you live, but this area is long overdue for this type of destination 'lifestyle' center. The shopping center is also just a portion of the entire development which will also include corporate offices, luxury homes, condos, lakes and a large park that will be an integral part of the Cypress Creek Greenway Project.

The 'Big Box' grocery is a hybrid HEB/Central Market ('Vintage Market') like the one in the Woodlands Market Street with a Cafe on the Run. That's enough to get excited about. Especially for families who want more than the usual hum-drum choices available at Kroger or Randall's.

It appears they've signed on Crate & Barrel. If that's any indication of what kind of retailers are going in, I'd say the coming announcements will generate some excitement. I think there's only one C&B in Houston, which is in Highland Village. Of course there will be dozens more retailers along with spas and 7 new restaurants. That's exciting.

As for the parking lots...Customers have to park somewhere. Hopefully it will be nicely landscaped. I've always liked how Pappa's (Pappasitos & Pappadeaux) developed their Champions locations, leaving intact the wooded character.

I too hope they'll utilize the natural beauty of this parcel. But I'm also very excited about this first phase of development that's going to add a lot of new choices to the area.

Houston1stword-- Totally agree about the Apts. Luxury or not, we don't want them.

Edited by mrfootball

Guest danax
These two locations are approximately 20 miles apart and I don't believe there is a waterway that would connect them.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek playing on the recent tendency to create Towne Centres with water features imagining that, if each new development in the area between Vintage and The Woodlands were to do the same, they might just decide one day to connect the dots, although I don't believe there's any natural waterways up there except Spring Creek.

Maybe a big dig to connect Spring Creek and Cypress Creek to create a major riverwalk scene?

I really don't see any real effort to save the tree canopie. What I see is clear cutting, concrete laying, and few samplings planted about in nice little rows.

If this project really wanted to save the tree canopie, they could have build underground parking or a parking garage to service the entire center and then saved more of the forest for park space.

Of course, that costs money.

I can't agree with you more. When will they just revert back to street parking in a grid system. It is still an improvement compared to the shopping centers of the 80's and 90's. I am very ANTI-surface lots myself.

I have to agree with everyone on the point that it sucks to see all the trees go, but let's be honest, all the trees would have become eventually a victim of the massive deforestation in the area sooner or later. It is nice to see some organization and thought into what is being put up, as mrfootball has said. It may just be another mundane lifestyle center and master-planned community, but at least it is not a mass of small strip shopping centers, row neighborhoods, and apartments that are infiltrating Louetta, Spring-Cypress, and other similar roads. It is these type of developers that have total disregard for the trees in the area.

Well this is one funky map of Houston from their website:

vp_maps_city_map.jpg

Yeah, I don't know why so many companies have problems with basic stuff like this, but it is surprisingly common to misplace the CBD, forget an airport, or draw in the full Grand Parkway even though only one section exists.

But this one is especially bad.

I presume they drew the Grand Pkwy because at some point in the near future it will be of some significance with regards to 'market potential'. This project is valued at over $1 billion dollars and will likely take several years.

(either that or they 'lifted' the map off another site and customized it...which is done frequently).

Edited by mrfootball