METRORail Central Station Main

Eiknujrac

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh! Update is there is no update....Media relations coordinator at Metro confrimed with David Couch, Senior VP of Capital Programs, that no entry has been selected. They are apparently swamped with the many projects running concurrently - election results, university line, etc. - on top of the difficulty of funding and planning any one of the central-station proposals.

Ugh! Update is there is no update....Media relations coordinator at Metro confrimed with David Couch, Senior VP of Capital Programs, that no entry has been selected. They are apparently swamped with the many projects running concurrently - election results, university line, etc. - on top of the difficulty of funding and planning any one of the central-station proposals.

The University Line is one of the "many projects running concurrently?" Seems fishy to me, considering the results of the referendum.

I thought the station was under construction already.. they haven't even made a selection yet?

We need to replace those fools at METRO with people who actually have experience running a transit agency, smh.

• 1 month later...

Actually, Gus from swamplot told me that's probably the one on Rusk, not Main. I think he's right gauging by the orientation of BG Place. Also the one on Main is supposed to be in the middle of the road.

Sorry for the false alarm.

The lines under construction are supposed to be done in 2014, so I would presume that they would have to start construction on the one on Main soon, so we should know any time now.

Yeah, that's not Main St. pictured, it's Rusk.

Originally, some of the renderings for the new Main Station showed a double-sided station, one side for each direction. That won't work, Main is not wide enough there. They've got the medians torn up for two blocks. We'll probably end up with two stations a block apart. It looks like they are laying some track to join into the Red Line. I saw it by the Flying Saucer.

• 2 months later...

any news on this?

Out of curiosity, I went-a-lookin' around on gometrorail.org and didn't find anything. On a side note, has anyone else noticed this rendering that has the LRV's mixing with traffic?

526427.jpg

• 7 months later...

#5 is the winner, METRO also held a meeting Oct. 16th regarding this new station.

max_9c18eca8fa06e566b01857d2eb047b8c.jpg

The introduction of public rail transportation in Houston is exciting and provocative. The dependence on cars to cover the sprawling city and seek refuge from the intense climate makes some citydwellers suspect of a public rail line. Yet, many see the envisioned rail connections between key business and cultural destinations as a welcome change to traffic congestion and endless searches parking spots. The design for the new Houston Metro Station is an opportunity to add a visual narrative through the city which emphasizes the importance Houston places on design as well as on alternative means of transportation.

When it rains it pours, especially in Houston. Getting caught in a sudden downpour is a common experience in this city, as is having one’s inverted umbrella get carried off by forceful gusts. The cantilevered canopy expresses both the urgency of the Houston climate by appearing to lift off the ground as well as the funneling motion that rain water takes as it is collected into the storm drain system.

Where does the water go? Through stalactites and funnel columns into the platform level grate. This is not only efficient but also wonderful to watch. These details provide interest to those waiting on the platform as well: you can watch water fall, and light is allowed to pass through.

From above office workers and residents look down on what is not so much a roof as an inverted topography, the funnel shapes catching water during rains. At night skim lights will illuminate the structure, casting complex shadows and color patterns across its surface.

max_28eb54e404671daaaac2cb12c11f7aac.jpg

http://snohetta.com/project/101-houston-transit-station

• 3 weeks later...
Oh my god, I am so surprised. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I hate Metro so much, for so many years already, and im sick and tired of such an inept, crooked, incompetent bunch of idiotic buffoons running the transit agency of the 4th largest city in the United States. Im raging right now.

These guys cant boil water without finding a way to screw  it up !!!!

Let us count

The trains that were suppose to be buliit and delviered by now are still not ready 

The tunnel for the east libne has not even been dug yet 

Now the singature  RAIL STATION IS going to be some boring  plain rail station !!!

How do these people still have jobs !!!! Seriously !!!!! i WANT TO KNOW!!! wHO APPOINTS THESE PEOPLE!! aRE THEY VOTED IN !!! WHAT !!

I'm not too bummed honestly.  A signature station at street level would just look weird and out of place.  It would be overpowering. 

It would be a lot better if it were all underground, with a mega transfer station with different levels.  They could have done something amazing with that.

Had the idea for a grand station never existed, nobody would be complaining. Hey, at least it is saving taxpayer money. The most important thing about the rail is its functionality anyway.

But they are still spending 1.6 million.  And they lost out on the 600,000 grant from a Downtown organization.

Archived